Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2010, 01:26 PM   #1

Water leak under bathroom sink

Hi
Last winter we traded in our '07 33RSO for a larger '08 35RSO because of the extra floor room in critical (to us) areas around the bed and by the entrance door. The large 12 cf double door fridge and the oak look laminate floor replacing the rug in the bedroom and living room were also features we loved.
One problem we have is a leak under the bathroom sink seeming to originate from the vacuum breaker (Cash Acme type V-101). Jack had a new one sent to us so I replaced it. The new one also leaks. Is anyone else having a problem with their vacuum breaker leaking, and if so, what was their solution. A container I put under the leak is catching the water, but that is not a solution.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2010, 04:06 PM   #2

What the heck is the vacuum break under the bathroom sink for?? My guess is that the spring is too heavy for the water pump if you are on internal water.
Two choices as I see it. Take it out and throw it in the garbage can and connect directly to the sink (my choice). or go to Lowe's or Home Depot and buy a home part and install it, (not my choice).
Old 01-14-2010, 06:09 PM   #3

The vacuum breaker is part of the black flush tank system. Excel normally mounts the breaker under the bath vanity sink or cabinet on most models. I don't know if you have an instruction sheet for the flush system in your owners packet, if not I can share you the one I have...should be 'much' the same.

On the Excel Owners Forum on irv2, there have been few problems that I'm aware of on the breaker, even though some have indicated the same problem but not after a replacement.

The only thing I can suggest is to ensure the breaker is fully vertical and as it is not designed to have pressure applied to the inlet side of the flush except to clean the tank.....ensure that the pressure is removed on the inlet between flushes, no check valve installed on the flush inlet.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:03 PM   #4

My vacuum break was stuck open so that when I flushed the black tank, water spewed inside the walls behind the shower (location of my vacuum break). This problem was caused by too much water pressure when flushing by the previous owner, so always use a pressure regulator when flushing black tank. I replaced it with a different kind from Cullum & Maxey and has worked great ever since.
waroland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:36 AM   #5

Hi
Thanks for the responses as I have run out of ideas. There was no info on why the vacuum breaker with check valve exists and troubleshooting proceedures. Any information sheets would be helpfull.
I did talk with Jack and he mentioned positioning the unit upright. There was no mention about disconnecting the flush hose when not in use. I have done that and will monitor the leak.
Wilf
Old 01-18-2010, 12:23 PM   #6

rucksack, here's is some information that I posted on the Excel side of this forum.

Have you visited the mfg's web site for the vacuum breaker/blackflow.
Here's the device link.

Hope something helped...
Old 01-21-2010, 03:25 PM   #7

Thank you for that information. We are experiencing a "tropical depression" here in Yuma and I will try and follow the circuit after it passes. I have wrapped paper towel around each water line under the sink in an effort to locate the exact source of the leak. I will let you know what I find. It has never leaked when I was observing, while my wife sas turning on and off various taps. I wish I had those pages you sent me about the flush system. Have you ever heard of a complete water flow scematic for the Excel?
Old 01-21-2010, 04:28 PM   #8

Rucksack...You can right click the photo or drawing in the above post and select the Print function to print a copy of the information.

As far as I know PI doesn't and haven't made available any diagrams of their systems other than what's in the Owners Manual. That information is limited. Here is another drawing I did for the Excel Forum that is a simplified drawing of the water system. I did two, one for the Older units, like mine, and Newer, about '05 to current.

Also on the Excel side, there is a 'sticky' called Renovation 101 - Live of a 2001. There are some post and drawings about my unit that may be useful.

If your not sure where the leak my be...it doesn't hurt to check the nuts for the Hot/Cold supply at the faucet, and those on the drain system. One would think that if it's on the pressure side (pump/city supply) the leak would be there all the time. If only happens after water is used...look at the drain from the sink and related piping. If during/after a tank flush...the 'Black flush' system.

Chris
Old 02-04-2010, 02:06 PM   #9

Workshop

Your help has enabled me to stop the leak. This website is a great tool when no manuals are available.

Thanks from my wife and myself
Old 02-04-2010, 02:14 PM   #10

Glad you got your leak stopped. I had a similar leak in mine a while back, and we found we were the cause of the leak. Seems I hooked my black flush line to a hose shutoff that was leaking slowly, 12-15 drips per minute. That amount of flow was sufficient to cause the vacuum breaker to leak instead of the slide inside shifting over completely. I now only hook up the flush line when I need to flush out the tank. Problem solved.

John
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote