Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2011, 11:18 PM   #1

water pump issue

Hello, I have a question about my water pump, my appoligies if this has been asked before. I am new to posting to this forum, I have viewed it many times, but first time posting.

I have a 2007 Keystone Cougar 281 BHS and am having some issues with my water pump. THe problem I am having is that there is no pressure and then we have pressure if that makes sense. When we do have some presure, the water is always choppy with air in the lines. I have tried absolutly everything I can think of. I have changed the ends on the houses that connect to the pump trying to find the problem. The pump also runs constantly. Not lound but running. When you turn it on sometimes it will be loud and cause the water to be choppy and the next time it will just have a hum and no water.

I took and attached a new hose to the pump and stuck it in a jug, the pump will pump that water, but sometimes will not. (Tried it a few times) It will not pump the water from the tank without it having air in the lines.

The pump did freeze up on us once when we had a freak cold spel come through, and we dont use it that often at all. But we did use it a couple weekends ago and notice this problem.

Any help with this would be great! I hope i didnt confuse any of you on this great forum.
Thanks!
rvcougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2011, 12:06 AM   #2

What you have is a classic example of a cracked housing or torn internal seal in the pump. The pump head is available seperately from the motor; Shure Flow, for sure they are ; Re-seal packages too, not hard to open up and examine for broken plastic, or ripped rubber seals. Just remember when the pump is out of the unit the city water can't be hooked up, unless you have the correct fitting to plug the line, that attaches to the pump outlet.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:46 AM   #3

What Skip426 explained. You are experiencing your pump trying to pump water but instead getting air due to a suction leak. It might very well be a cracked pump housing but could also be from anywhere above the water level in the fresh water tank to the pump or a combination of several suction leaks.
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvcougar
Hello, I have a question about my water pump, my appoligies if this has been asked before. I am new to posting to this forum, I have viewed it many times, but first time posting.

I have a 2007 Keystone Cougar 281 BHS and am having some issues with my water pump. THe problem I am having is that there is no pressure and then we have pressure if that makes sense. When we do have some presure, the water is always choppy with air in the lines. I have tried absolutly everything I can think of. I have changed the ends on the houses that connect to the pump trying to find the problem. The pump also runs constantly. Not lound but running. When you turn it on sometimes it will be loud and cause the water to be choppy and the next time it will just have a hum and no water.

I took and attached a new hose to the pump and stuck it in a jug, the pump will pump that water, but sometimes will not. (Tried it a few times) It will not pump the water from the tank without it having air in the lines.

The pump did freeze up on us once when we had a freak cold spel come through, and we dont use it that often at all. But we did use it a couple weekends ago and notice this problem.

Any help with this would be great! I hope i didnt confuse any of you on this great forum.
Thanks!
I wonder if the mention of freezing in the past might be a clue. If the ice was enough to crack the draw hose in the tank, when it's above the water line, you could have air sucking. The water level changes might explain the intermittent on/off of the pressure, and the way the pump operation varies. Anyone else think that's possible, reasonable?
PapaBear1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water