Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2006, 05:52 AM   #15

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimmy Jam:
Again, many deep condolences on the loss.

The FBI should be involved in this as it appears "the crime" crossed state lines whilst telephone communications were also utilized in connection with it. Definately sounds like Federal "juice" should be involved...It's an organized crime ring, of sorts..

My wife is always fond of two different philosophies concerning situations such as yours..

First, there WILL be some good come out of the entire predicament. What it is is anyone's guess. But I maybe think, especially after reading your post about how you had dissected your camper and the things that you didn't like about it, that maybe a new and much improved version of the fiver awaits you! One with more bells and whistles than you could imagine. One with everything right about it that you found wrong with the former...

And, as the wife also expounds phophetically (and with a startling accuracy!), they way that you treat others, the things that you have done good and, the things that have been done bad to others, WILL come back to you in spades.

I will say that this gang of outlaws WILL get what's coming to them in due time. How or what is anyone's guess. The Earthly possibilities are endless.

But God knows all..He knows who, what, when and where...And He WILL punish those responsible..In His way, in His time..

Good luck with your situation! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with you on your points. Don't get me wrong, We loved the camper. We bought it based on the floor plan and not the decor. I had already had done some modifications by pulling of the furniture and building an entertainment center and putting in lazy boy recliners. We where going to change out the carpet. As there was way to much brown in there. I also wanted to make a few modifications to the front bedroom area to better suit are needs.

So on the positive side, insurance now owns the camper. We are going to take what we learn and get another one. And yes, the wife as already informed me that we will be getting a nicer one this round.

I have learned a lot of things to look for, and address when I get a new one.

Several people told me to sue the storage lot, but I came to realize that it serves no good. They have tried to help. They are the most secure storage lot around me. They have added more security since the camper was taken like a finger print scanner, taking pictures of all plates of renters when the rent a new unit, and restricting the 24X7 access. Prefect, no. But better than some of the storage lots around. All of them have been broken into and stuff stolen. I most likely will store there again.

I do believe that the criminals will get what is coming. The bad part is I most likely will never know when that happens. The police believe that it left the state so it became a federal crime, but it my understanding that when caught, they will be brought back to Kentucky and face a judge here.

Thanks for all the comments. Anthony
lanwangeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2007, 06:43 AM   #16

Well, I have some updates to the story. They caught the guy who rented the storage unit. He has eight different names, three social security numbers, a drivers license in KY, TN, and SC. He was caught in SC, and brought back to KY to face fraud charges, and the theft of my camper. The fraud charges have nothing to do with me. He was sitting in jail from Dec 23, to the end of January. The judge set bond at $50,000 with 10% cash. Of course he is out now. His trial is set for March 6, 2007. We are waiting to see if he will show at the trial.

I found out more one the second guy. They are still looking for him and apparently the Secret Service is too. He is into the theft and selling of campers. That is what this guy does. The police are telling me that the camper is being sold or has just been sold. They said that a new title for the camper has been forged. If the VIN has been changed, then it may not ever be found. If the VIN was not changed, I feel sorry for the person who bought it and tries to register it.

Now, as a side note. The police also explained another one of the guy's scams to us. Basically he will sell the camper cheap. If you are the one to buy it, he will get you to fill out a credit application. Of course he say it will take a day or two to get approved. He will then go to a RV dealer and buy a camper using the credit application. Then, he will disappear with both campers.

Nice guy. So, we wait for now..... Anthony
Old 02-04-2007, 07:46 AM   #17

Sorry to hear of your loss. The court will most likely never see the guy that got caught ever again. Sooner or later the law will catch the other guy but most likely he will make bail and be gone also. Again sorry about your loss.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:06 PM   #18

Sorry to heal of your loss. A friend did get his Hi-Lo back years ago when I lived in Denver actually found it one day when he was out delivering parts. Called the police and they arrested the person that had it parked at their apartment complex. Almost everything had been removed and he had settled with his insurance so he did not want it back.

I to am a truck driver and the lock I had to buy along with a padlock is the Enforcer Brand. They will no longer let us drop loaded trailers just anywhere because if someone wants it they will get it but this thing will slow them down a lot unless they bring cutting equipment. Will be using it on mine when I retire again and go full time again.

Paul
Enforcer King Pin Lock
Old 02-16-2007, 02:25 PM   #19

I learned a new piece of info the other day. Apparently that the second guy is currently being look for the the Secret Service. I don't know why, but I'm guessing for the forged documents.

I had the sheriff show up at my door and hand me a letter. It appears that I'm going to be put on the stand to testify. That should be an interesting time. Man, I hate thief's. Anthony
Old 02-17-2007, 04:47 AM   #20

WOW, I am so sorry for your loss

The Irish Travelers are gypsies that are taught to be criminals as little kids. Criminal activity is their profession.

I know that they are known for scamming people with "home inprovement" projects,especially the elderly.
So I guess its not surprising that they are into
stealing and fencing trailers too

I am so glad that they caught the guy but quite frankly given the nature of them, I don't expect him to show up for trial

They move from state to state and from your experience you see how easy it is to obtain fake ID

However eventually if he doesn't show up for trial, he will be caught again and face multiple charges for new crimes and will spend a long time in prison

Justice is always served, if not in this life, most defintely in the next..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lanwangeek:
I learned a new piece of info the other day. Apparently that the second guy is currently being look for the the Secret Service. I don't know why, but I'm guessing for the forged documents.

I had the sheriff show up at my door and hand me a letter. It appears that I'm going to be put on the stand to testify. That should be an interesting time. Man, I hate thief's. Anthony </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
apackof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 11:41 AM   #21
jmo

What a terrible story! I'm Irish and reading this on St. Patrick's Day Glad they don't represent all of us and hope that you and family are healing.

Kate

jmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 04:32 PM   #22

Update: Well, the trial was pushed out again. The DA is going to offer the guy a plea deal. He got the offer on Mar 16. So now it is a wait and see. If he takes it, he will get 5 years probation, and have to pay back my insurance deductible.

Because insurance is involved, the courts only see my deductible as the loss, even though Insurance didn't pay what the rig cost and pro-rated the contents. But at least it's more than I had. The guy only has minor offenses to date. He has been able to get out of a couple of other forgy charges prior to this charge. (I don't know any other details)

One thing that has ticked my off is that we don't seam to matter. You want a feeling that the courst care and recognize your loss. They seam to be going through the motions and more interested in the conviction than anything else. Don't get me wrong, I want to see the guy pay, but it just seams like we don't count at this point. Five years probation is nothing in my mind.

On a side note. I able to buy a Carriage Carri-Lite 36XTRM5 5th wheel camper during the Louisville RV just under two months ago. We are happy to be able to go camping. Thanks Anthony
Old 03-19-2007, 05:36 PM   #23

Anthony I sure feel for you.In the 90s I had my truck stolen while in El Paso TX and I felt like I had been kicked in the gut when the police told me that I would probably never see it again.I'm happy that you have another one.Just keep the faith....what goes around comes around.
John
Old 03-23-2007, 03:34 PM   #24

How much does one of those Enforcer King Pin locks cost? I think perhaps I'd like to start putting $$ aside to buy one...even though my trailer is parked in my driveway. Gotta' park the second truck in front of it, too. What are the wheel locks? Like the "boots" the police put on illegally parked cars? Hmmm, that whole thing is scarey as heck! Especially since this group travels so there's no telling where they might hit again.
PennyPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 04:48 PM   #25

The one I purchased through the trucking company was $80.00 and had a lock keyed alike. Not sure what it would cost retail.

Paul
Old 04-07-2007, 05:23 PM   #26

I talked to the Detective the other day. The guy they caught is going to take the plea deal. The deal is for two years in jail, and he has to pay me my insurance deductibles as restitution. Of course, the judge can put him on probation, or if he does go to jail, then he can ask for shock probation 30 to 60 days later. I will find out more about the deal on Wednesday. Basically, he was facing the video of the crime and apparently he made a couple of phone calls when he was in jail in Dec, Jan. I don't know what was said, but the jail recorded the call and those calls where entered into evidence against him. I will be in court Wednesday to see him take the deal. I hope to find out more about the calls he made. If and when they catch the second guy, I get to go though this process again. Anthony
Old 04-09-2007, 07:04 PM   #27

Are you now considering a civil suit to recover the rest of your losses+ emotional distress? Sounds like time to contact one of those lawyers that take your case and get a percentage only if you win. You may never realize any money, but you'll have the satisfaction of knowing the thiefs life will never get out of the dumpster.

For the guys considering a king pin collar type lock, I bought a really heavy one at a truck stop. It's a steel collar(ring) about 1/2" thick with an enclosed key lock. I have two 1/4" steel cables with a eyelet on the ends for a padlock. I use them to keep the wheels from disappearing on my ranch trailers, but they might help when a trailer is in storage too.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 08:18 PM   #28

Well, I certainly think about this all of the time. Mine is at a covered location with 24/7 access. I go by constantly and check on it.
kodiak61 is offline   Reply With Quote