Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2013, 04:29 PM   #1

What 5th wheel?

I know little about 5th wheels, I've always owned motor homes! That being said, my wife would like to get a 5th wheel because they have more room & better floor plans.

What is considered a good quality built 5th wheel? Do they have washer/dryer combos, window awnings, slide toppers & generator, etc.?

Thanks for any info
countrypair is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2013, 04:35 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
What do you mean "good" quality? what is the intended use?

What ever you can get in a motorhome is pretty much available in a 5er.

There are low end units, mid-priced units and high end units. For the most part, the higher quality, the more weight.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:45 PM   #3

Mid Atlantic Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Tugboat
You have to look and see what you like in floor plans and trim. Most people will tell you to buy the brand that they have. After you find the floor plan you like and find it in drifferent brands go look at them. After you narrow it down to 2 or 3 then ask about what you are looking at. It will be less confusing that way. My wife and I spent a year finding what we wanted. It shuld be in next week.

Good Luck
Tugboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:13 PM   #4

Where 'all' MH's have generators very few 5ers have them. You can get them but it will be an option and run off LP. I plan to use a portable generator when I need one.

I would stay with smaller trailers, 34' or less and tow with a SRW (Single Rear Wheel) diesel truck.

One trailer that I like is the Palomino Columbus 295RL.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:27 PM   #5

Yes the other very important thing is what you are going to pull it with. Be sure to look at towing and the stopping ability of your truck. Single axle or duals. There are some good sites to help you match up your rigs. Make it a fun experience.

The Journey Continues
Sokcap48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:04 PM   #6

These manufacturers make high quality fifth wheels:

DRV Suites

NuWa Industries, Inc.

Excel RVs: The Nations Top-Rated Luxury 5th Wheel - Excel RVs

Northwood Manufacturing
Groovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:07 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Far as a generator you don't have to be hooked up to propane!
I have a friend that has a hitch on back of 5ver in it's own box 2 Honda 2000i.
Also a friend with them in back of there trucks by rear glass. A gas can is easier to carry than a 30 gallon tank.

Figure out your floor plan, figure out what you plan on doing, figure how long your trips will be and are you full timing?
Also figure on having a lots of fun!
Old 04-08-2013, 07:17 AM   #8

If you are old and lazy like me. HA! And don't want to carry gas cans a don't want to or can't carry generators. I opted to put a gen in. You do lose some storage space in the front compartment. But it is sure nice to walk in push a button and have power for the the air if you aren't in a park. Also along road you can warm up your soup for lunch in the microwave etc. we do a lot of non-park camping. We think the trade off is worth it.but we are not full timers so storage may not be as critical as for a full timer.

The Journey Continues
Old 04-08-2013, 07:26 AM   #9

And on the fl side, we do a lot of boon docking. I do have a generator, a portable. Never use the microwave, it is so easy to turn on the gas stove why bother? Another argument you will see a lot of is access with the slides closed? Another one I just dont get? I have to open our slides to access the living room and part of the kitchen. So what? It is not a big deal to me. Push a button and the slides open. How hard is that? You will spend far more time living in An RV with the slides open. Let that dictate your preferences.
As to the original question, there are lots of really nice fifth wheels on the market. Budget is what it is, so pick some models in the price range you intend to spend and let us know which ones your looking at. Then we might be able ot offer some suggestions.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:55 AM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokcap48 View Post
If you are old and lazy like me. HA! And don't want to carry gas cans a don't want to or can't carry generators. I opted to put a gen in. You do lose some storage space in the front compartment. But it is sure nice to walk in push a button and have power for the the air if you aren't in a park. Also along road you can warm up your soup for lunch in the microwave etc. we do a lot of non-park camping. We think the trade off is worth it.but we are not full timers so storage may not be as critical as for a full timer.

So carring a propane bottle is easier a eu2000i ways 46lbs, friends has it attached to back, same as in back of truck. When needed he pulls electric cord and plugs in. Gas stations are every where, but place for ppropane aren't.
Before I bough a gen I was going to get propane one friend told me what if your some where and no propane outlet, gas stations.
Have a great day and have fun y'all.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:01 AM   #11

I love my Columbus. Thought is was the best compromise of price, quality, features and design. Get all the options you want included up front and then negotiate your best deal. I got everything - washer/dryer, generator, autolevel, etc. Less costly and less of my time having these put in at the factory.

Also, you'll be better off getting the factory to install as much as you can. Most dealers hire barely trained orangutans to do their work.

So far with 6 months of ownership, I've had very few problems.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:23 AM   #12

We are having a propane generator installed in a couple of weeks. We have 2 Hondas but were so worried that they would be stolen that we rarely used them. The onboard generator will open up many more camping possibilities for us.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:17 AM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpharley View Post
We are having a propane generator installed in a couple of weeks. We have 2 Hondas but were so worried that they would be stolen that we rarely used them. The onboard generator will open up many more camping possibilities for us.
I guess they bolted them down.

But inside gen would be nice also. Wanna sell the Hondas?
Old 04-10-2013, 06:19 AM   #14

Tunble--Just giving opionons and options to the original poster. Trying to be helpful as I thought we were supposed to be on a forum like this. Not condicending or argumentive. Yes for me propane is easier and I have never had a problem finding propane when needed. Also I would like to see that eu2000i start and run my air conditioner or microwave for that matter. Yes I know you can hook two together but at that it would be a struggle. And as far as I am concerned twice the hassle. So instead of knocking someone else's way of doing things lets all try and be freindly to each other and helpful.

The Journey Continues