Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2019, 05:45 PM   #29

I had a short bed duramax with a Curt slider the problem is, at least it was for me was not only hitting the cab but when you slide the hitch back you have to worry about taking out the tail gate.
dadnjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2019, 10:38 PM   #30

Outdoors RV Owners Club
At 20,000 gross I would want a duelly. Heck, even at your unloaded weight of 16,000 I would want one but you must be trying to get by with the truck you already own since I don't think they make shortbed duellies too often. I am in a similar spot with a trailer that will likely gross between 20,000 and 26,000. Just going to bite the bullet and get the duelly.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 04:22 PM   #31
JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnick2401 View Post
I'm not sure which hitch to go with. We're going to be picking up our camper soon. It's a 2017 cyclone 4113 tri axle toy hauler. My truck is the 6'6" bed. Any recommendations on which hitch to go with?
For example: Anderson or a slider etc?
I don't like my Curt Q20 hitch and R20 slider very much. In fact, I'll be dumping it and getting a Blue Ox Super Ride before our next big trip. Check it out and compare it to the others on your short list before you pull the trigger. It's pretty new so there are not a lot of reviews out there, but the ones out there are very positive. It's not an auto slider though, if you really need that. I've never really needed to use my slider, which is good, because the Curt R20 is not easy to operate. The only time I've used it is to get the front compartment door open all the way with the trailer hooked up and to get extra clearance for the tailgate down when hooking up at an angle.

-jj
Old 06-30-2019, 06:46 PM   #32

My B&W has been used on 3 Ford short bed trucks. I have a dually on order and will keep it. My neighbor has a Curt slider and wants my B&W. in many years the slider was only needed 3 times. No reason to spend all the extra for the need 3 times a decade or more.
Captn John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 08:22 PM   #33

Short bed fifth wheel hitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnick2401 View Post
I'm not sure which hitch to go with. We're going to be picking up our camper soon. It's a 2017 cyclone 4113 tri axle toy hauler. My truck is the 6'6" bed. Any recommendations on which hitch to go with?
For example: Anderson or a slider etc?
I used a pullrite super slide in my dodge Laramie short bed mega cab. It never let me down. Handled tight turns especially in my cul de sac. They have different models for different weights. It is heavy though. The last fifth wheel I used it with was a Raptor 384pk with three axles
Tedtuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 10:05 PM   #34

I bought a Reese slider when I had my short bed and transferred it to my current long bed when I got it and if I didn’t have it I would go with the B&W goose attachment one since the truck had the B&W gooseneck hitch already when I bought it. I mean the fifth when hitch for the gooseneck mount, not a gooseneck pin. But the only time I plan on pulling a 5ver is if I replace my old full time 5ver and put another one in the spot. My travel rig is a super c.
Blackey Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 01:39 AM   #35

I ended up getting the demco 21k slider. It's a great hitch, but man its heavy lol. Sofar I havent needed the slider option so.... gonna look at a lighter fixed hitch or maybe switch to that goose box setup. I wanna look more into this option
fishnick2401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 05:22 AM   #36

The weight of a hitch never bothered me as I only remove the hitch with the trailer. I just leave it latched on the kingpin and instead pull the 4 pins. Lift the fiver and out it goes. Back when we full timed I would throw a padlock on it for piece of mind.

The goosebox is not a good option for a triple axle TH. Only comes rated for 20k and a measly 4000 pounds pin weight. I have never seen an actual fiver weighing 20k that had a pin under 4k.
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:28 AM   #37

5th wheel hitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhooker View Post
I pulled a toy hauler 3 years full time with a 6 foot bed. You need a slider with the Cyclone. The only advice I will offer is Pullrite. I ran a manual slider and hated every slide operation I did. The Pullrite IMO is the smoothest and best built auto slider out there, although my experience with the other auto slider is limited to just playing around and not actual miles on the road. You need a hitch rated at 20k minimum so that limits the options quite a bit.

With the Pullrite you will hook up and tow like you have an 8 foot bed. Zero thoughts about what maneuvers you can or can’t make. Do some additional searching around the web and YouTube has some good reviews on there as well. Happy hunting!
I agree about the Pullrite hitch. I owned one & loved it. Pullrite (& the Reese Elite series) both have a single locking jaw that completely encircles the king pin. ‘Very secure & very mechanically sound.
Maybe I didn’t read your question correctly, but if you need a slider hitch then your truck has a short box, but you REALLY need a 1 ton dually for a trailer this size. PLEASE tell us you have a DRW truck! Most dually s have a long box so you wouldn’t need a slider hitch. I know that Ram has made 1ton DRW trucks with a short bed which would need a slider to be safe unless your 5th wheel has a curved front cap which eliminates clearance issues.
One more thing - always buy more capacity than you need. My 5th wheel weighs 16,400 pounds with 3,300 pounds of pin weight, but I’ve got a hitch rated for 24,000 pounds. ‘Peace if mind.
Mudflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:38 AM   #38

Anderson hitch

We have used an Anderson hitch for almost 4 years of full timing, and over 100,000 miles, and have had no problems. Being able to remove the entire hitch so quickly is a huge plus. Also I like the adapter that goes on the receiver, I feel more confident that my trailer will get passed by by thieves looking for a easy hookup. There is no bucking or noise noticeable and it feels sturdy. I pull an Artic Fox so it is fairly heavy 16,000 lbs or so. The only negative is getting used to hooking it up, I started with a magnetic antenna with a plastic ball so I could tell when I was over the ball but over time I have gotten to the point where I can just tell. The other negative is the owner chiseled his name in an stone arch in Utah.
Brill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:47 AM   #39

Anderson - I had a glider - hated it...then bought a new truck and the Andersen Ultimate Rail Mount - 20,000# capacity. Loved it. Don't have 5'r now but highly recommend it. Not your grandfather's hitch.
champson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel