Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2019, 04:22 PM   #1

What 5th wheel hitch?

I'm not sure which hitch to go with. We're going to be picking up our camper soon. It's a 2017 cyclone 4113 tri axle toy hauler. My truck is the 6'6" bed. Any recommendations on which hitch to go with?
For example: Anderson or a slider etc?
fishnick2401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2019, 04:51 PM   #2

Congratulations on you new toy
Auto slide like Superglide may work for you. What is the GVW of your new 5ver? What is you payload on your truck and what truck do you have. Happy camping.
sk734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 05:01 PM   #3

Save yourself a lot of time and rough riding. Get a trailer saver air ride hitch they make I think its the BD3 with the slider attachment.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 05:24 PM   #4

We love our Reese 20k Goose Box. It keeps our bed cleared & we already had the goose from our farm trailer. If you go with an adapter make sure you verify the effect on your trailer warranty. The Reese will NOT void it.
Lt58DMTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 06:44 PM   #5

Empty weight of the trailer is just under 16,000 lbs. Max is 20,000 lbs.
Old 06-15-2019, 06:46 PM   #6

I'm stuck between the demco, anderson, pullrite and b&w. Any recommendations would be great
Old 06-15-2019, 07:02 PM   #7

At 20,000 pounds GVWR I sure hope you have a dually.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:10 PM   #8

Yes, but we only use the garage for our kayaks. So even fully loaded with everything we're around 16,500 lbs.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:12 PM   #9

I pulled a toy hauler 3 years full time with a 6 foot bed. You need a slider with the Cyclone. The only advice I will offer is Pullrite. I ran a manual slider and hated every slide operation I did. The Pullrite IMO is the smoothest and best built auto slider out there, although my experience with the other auto slider is limited to just playing around and not actual miles on the road. You need a hitch rated at 20k minimum so that limits the options quite a bit.

With the Pullrite you will hook up and tow like you have an 8 foot bed. Zero thoughts about what maneuvers you can or can’t make. Do some additional searching around the web and YouTube has some good reviews on there as well. Happy hunting!
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 07:22 PM   #10

Ok thanks, so the Andersen ultimate hitch that uses the rails- will that one work? Or do I have to go with a slider?
Old 06-15-2019, 09:26 PM   #11

Google Blue Ox Super Ride. Cushioned for comfort and pivots for extra clearance when needed. Comes apart for easy removal, installation. Worth a look.

The Andersen moves your pin's pivot point a few inches rearward for additional trailer to cab clearance. Some pin boxes don't like this, and will interfere with your bed sides or tailgate; not all, some. Some people switch the pin adapter forward for pin box clearance and risk popping out their truck's rear window, it happens. If you want to use the Andersen in the rear position, make sure you take sufficient measurements to make sure your pin box isn't munching on your truck.
Old 06-16-2019, 03:08 AM   #12

Thanks for everyone's advice. You would think it's a easy choice on which hitch style and brand to go with lol, but it hasn't for me so far. I keep bouncing back and forth between which unit to go with after reading all the input from others
Old 06-16-2019, 07:16 AM   #13

The Cyclone has a heavy pin. I am on my second triple axle 40+ foot toy hauler and have towed with 3 different bed lengths and 4 different hitches. You will absolutely need a slider as you want the pin properly placed without using any offset devices. Anytime you lengthen the distance (or move the kingpin connection point forward with an adapter) you exponentially increase the stress on the frame. It is the same principle as putting a cheater bar on a wrench. While that might be fine on a normal rear LR or bunkhouse fiver this is something you do not want to do with a triple axle toy hauler. Our pin weights are near or over 4000 lbs regardless of what the brochure states.

You absolutely need a slider. If you don’t take my advice on the auto slider that’s fine, but you will be dealing with limited maneuverability without a sliding hitch. The Anderson is not a slider. IMO The B&W Companion is one of the best manual sliders. The Pullrite is the best auto slider. Those are likely your best two choices.
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 07:21 AM   #14

Ok thanks, so the Andersen wont be a good choice for our camper? Some people have told me they use a fixed .... some use the Andersen. Some have said they have a slider but have never needed it. So many conflicting opinions lol. Makes it all very confusing

Tags
5th wheel