Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2019, 09:31 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
I may get flamed for this but as I shop it looks like quality and weight are pretty closely related. For example, my current weekend warrior family friendly 5th wheel is 35' and weighs in at a stout 9000# dry. The quality brands mentioned often weigh 12,000# for the same length. Ultra-high end trailers can weigh much more than that.

For my usage of a few weeks a year, my trailers generally works well. However, my "retirement trailer" will definitely be on the heavier end. I do often wonder about what all was left off of my 9000# unit, though
From my observations you are right on the money.

DW and myself decided on a Jayco HT because we felt they were a little better quality than the other “lite” 5ers. We spent months and looked at everything. I’m not saying Jayco is the best, I’m saying for the HTs we couldn’t find anything better.

My retirement 5er will definitely be a heavy.
Sailor Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2019, 10:03 AM   #44

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Mike View Post

DW and myself decided on a Jayco HT because we felt they were a little better quality than the other “lite” 5ers. We spent months and looked at everything. I’m not saying Jayco is the best, I’m saying for the HTs we couldn’t find anything better.

I was looking at the HTs when I was shopping and they were =firmly= 2nd behind KZ for 2 main reasons. 1) We like to boondock and their anemic 32 gal black tank would have had to have been replaced after warranty was up. That was 13 gal less than our old Komfort had and we'd managed to pretty well fill up that 45 gal tank 2 times in 13 years while 'docking. 2) Their CCC was less than my #1 choice and, even though we "camp light", it would have meant that we'd have to really watch out weights, especially when leaving a boondock site since we'd have more in our tanks than we came in with. I do bring extra water in the truck that ends up in the tanks. Our KZ gives us 20 gallons more black capacity than the Jayco HTs. Had the HTs had larger tanks and that ~500 lbs more CCC, I'd've likely bought one.

Lyle
Old 10-30-2019, 10:37 AM   #45

Have my heart set on a Northwood Artic Fox (295t). Depends on your wants & needs. Quality over fluff...To stay within your price range look at used models (smarter IMHO).
Best wishes on whatever you choose.
Old 10-30-2019, 11:09 AM   #46

Questions about Arctic fox/wolf. Which is better? I assume the Fox is better? I have only been inside the fox, and not the wolf. I also saw a "desert Wolf" model, but have not been in it yet either. Is it the same idea or is it set up for hot days instead of cool days?

I was going with either a sandpiper or cougar with front living space first (base model, and cheap used 30k) to make sure I wanted the solo full time boondocking lifestyle. After about 3-5 years if I still wanted to full time/solo/boondock then I will invest in something better, most likely an all seasons 5'er. But the first 3-5 years I would be in warmer areas so I don't need all seasons. Will go from AZ in the winter to UT, NV in the summer. Doesn't really get lower than freezing at night that much, and even if it did I am a big guy and don't get cold easily. I am a cold weather person. I don't like heat but I do love cold.
Pyropete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 12:39 PM   #47

The Arctic Fox is way way better than Arctic Wolf. Arctic Wolf is cheap while the Arctic Fox is not.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 07:43 AM   #48

Artic Fox is made by Northwood. Stop and think a second if it’s insulated to keep warmth in that means it will keep cool too. Allot of terms get thrown around ~ All season ~ Four season. Do some research. Many RV producers use the very same third-party manufacturers. Northwood builds their own chassis and use aluminum side walls framing. Yes they are heavier (for a reason). Many websites will give you 3D tours and information (some just show fluff). Yes AF can be hard to find used ...humm. But definitely worth a look-see

PS...It was 16* this morning! lol
Old 10-31-2019, 05:00 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
The Arctic Fox is way way better than Arctic Wolf. Arctic Wolf is cheap while the Arctic Fox is not.
To add to the post above it is important to point out that Arctic Fox is a brand made by Northwood Mfg. and has a good reputation. Arctic Wolf on the other hand is a Forest River brand and is built with the (in)famous FR quality. FR is obviously trying to confuse customers with the naming of this fairly new product line.
As alluded to above, some manufacturers throw around terms like all-season, four-season or arctic package with no meaningful product differences.
csuder99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 03:14 AM   #50

Winnebago Owners Club
I think the highest quality 5ver is the one the owner currently owns based on most of the posts. Did the OP ever say HOW the 5ver was to be used? Not his druthers for "features" but will they full time, go out on weekends, stay in the south for the winter? No.

Did the OP say WHERE they were looking to buy? I have never seen many of the West Coast brands folks were touting in this thread. Would I drive out to the west coast buy a 5ver I had not seen based on folks enthusiasm? No.

Did the OP mention his TV? Don't recall seeing it but if you buy a heavy duty 5ver that has a gross weigh 15-20K lbs, does the guy have a big diesel dually? He wanted 30-35' as I recall and the high end 35' 5vers can necessitate a dually to safely haul around.

We camp 1 or 2 times a month over long weekends and an old Keystone Cougar suits us and our budget and I have had ZERO serious issues and nothing I couldn't handle myself. Only regret is I wish it were 50A service so a 2nd A/C could be installed as in Texas it gets warm once in awhile when camping!
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 06:20 AM   #51

Again it’s all based on needs & wants.
Old 11-01-2019, 09:47 AM   #52

I bought a 1 year old Solitude 375RES in April. Thank God I bought an Extended Warranty from a reputable company. We're ridding ourselves of this thing in February. Over advertised...under and badly constructed...I could go on. In April we're buying a Vilano. Not there's a company that understands true Customer Service philosophy...passed down from their parent company.
tigerGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 10:15 AM   #53

It seems like all brands have issues of one sort or another. Just regarding service, for the first two years of new model ownership all Forest River brands can get while you wait warranty service if you attend the annual International Rally. At this years rally I saw work being done on rigs ranging from axle replacement to new AC units. They do say that for some work, the rig has to go to one of the factories and they schedule that work to be done either just before or just after the Rally.

On my trailer, FR repaired a broken cabinet frame (that I broke opening my slide) and replaced my coroplast underbelly while I attended rally seminars.
One other comment, I know a number of folks who like their FR Cedar Creek units. There was a time a several years back where a bad lot came on the market but it seems the last 4-5 years have been pretty good.

Good luck on whatever unit you end up with.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:59 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Mike View Post

I agree with Mike. The Jayco HT series offers the best overall quality and value. It is the best "couples coach" available.
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote