Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2015, 09:19 PM   #15

Great responses everyone...thank you so much!

My friends have gone back home to West Texas after visiting in Fort Worth and visiting all the RV dealers they could squeeze in while they were down here for my Granddaughter's wedding reception.

Perhaps you will hear from them on the forum now that they are home. I sent them the link to this site after they got to their home computer. So maybe they will chime in and get acquainted, or have other questions.

I appreciate all the posts and helpful input for my pals. ...you all have been great. All RV'ers have been here one time or another and know there is "a lot to learn" when you've never owned one before. This is the best RV forum for everything imho...especially "real input" from seasoned RV owners.

Thanks again to everyone for the help...and please continue if you have more to add, or have just now seen the thread.

Best regards...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2015, 08:52 AM   #16

Top 5th Wheel Coaches

I would highly recommend Excel even though they just went out of business. I just purchased my 2nd, a 36GKE after living in a 30 RSO full time about a year. They have been one of the best builders for many years and there are a number of high quality used ones available. My personal experience is that they are great to travel and live in. Plus there are lots of parts available and we are going to continue the Owners forum supporting each other with an amazing breadth of knowledge available. Good luck with whatever you choose. The RV'ing lifestyle is GREAT
Old 04-05-2015, 10:11 AM   #17

Hmmm... no one has mentioned Landmark 365. Is there a reason?

It is on my short list (which also includes DRV, Redwood, Lifestyle, Trilogy).
Alan_Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 10:56 AM   #18

The reason I would not mention the Landmark is it is mass produced run of the mill I-Beam frame 5th wheel. It competes with 12 or so other 5th wheels. It is a very good unit but is it better than a Solitude, Infinity, Trilogy, Redwood, Columbus, Stoneridge, Pinnacle, Bay Hill, Presidential, Montana, Rushmore, Brookstone, Cardinal?
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 11:23 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post
Augusta Luxe???? Not enough info yet. Can't find anyone that has one that posts either.
update. I contacted AR and asked about chassis steel. It has 12" I beam 10.8# per foot with 2X2-1/4" tube steel welded to bottom of I-beam. Also use tube steel for cross braces. Not shabby.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 11:32 AM   #20

Ok...off topic kind of but for steel strength that does not sound like very good steel.

When I was looking for a gas motorhome the Workhorse chassis was rated at 50,000 strength (don't ask me what distance etc.) And at the time time the Ford chassis was rated at 35,000. Now the Ford has been improved to 50,000.

For 12" I-Beam strength what should one look for?
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 11:41 AM   #21

10.8# per foot. so 20 ft length 216#. That is fairly heavy steel. Not the steel we put in refineries but not light weight either. I have seen many chassis paper thin. 2X2 1/4" is stout.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 01:00 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Ok...off topic kind of but for steel strength that does not sound like very good steel.

When I was looking for a gas motorhome the Workhorse chassis was rated at 50,000 strength (don't ask me what distance etc.) And at the time time the Ford chassis was rated at 35,000. Now the Ford has been improved to 50,000.

For 12" I-Beam strength what should one look for?
I am pretty sure that is a PSI yield strength ,motorhome with wheels very much farther apart then a trailer , has completely different engineering issues.
You will get trade offs between 'bend to yield' ultimate stiffness etc etc. depends what the designer was trying to accomplish.
hone eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 05:29 PM   #23

The Truck You Mention is a ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by suiteowner View Post
I am a new Mobile Suite Owner and spent countless hours doing my due diligence prior to the purchase...IMO at my price point I could not find a 5th wheel that was comparable in quality and construction to this unit...It has a 15"frame 17.5"H rated tires 3.25" walls filled with wool insulation...It is also equipped with Trailair suspension and Trailair pinbox...It is a 38RSSB3 model,it is 101" wide...The downside, it is very heavy but my truck handled it perfectly,I purchaced it 800 miles from where I live...We have not been out in it yet but will be in the next two weeks...My previous 5th wheel was an Excel 35FLE Limited it was a good unit but not as well built as this one...
Suiteowner --Would appreciate knowing what the truck is that you mention.

Thanks.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:03 PM   #24

Evergreen Owners Club
I myself have looked at many also. We are leaning toward the Bay Hill. It is far above the Grand Design, Bighorn, Cedar Creek and Cardinal. The Grand Design uses the paper covered pressed wood fiber for shelf front stops, very poor choice for a high wear area. The fit and finish of the Cedar Creeks, Cardinals and Bighorns left me desiring much better build quality. The Cedar Creek and Cardinal are both Forest River massed produced. The Bighorns made by Heartland is now owned by Thor. They have had many quality issues.

The Bay Hill we are very interested in uses all real wood, has crown molding around cabinets and along the ceilings. I know it is not A Lifestyle but is made in the same factory and uses many of the same techniques in assembly for quite a few dollars less. We are touring the factory next Friday August 7. The dealer assures me I will not be disappointed.

Check them out. I believe you will be pleasantly surprised.
schrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:08 PM   #25

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Too bad Newmar got out of the 5th wheel market a few years ago.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:38 PM   #26

Landmark Newport 365, 12,000 miles in the past 7 months of full-time service, and I'll put her against any of them. It feels like home, and is very well built. We had a Montana, and I'd never go back.
RVM #104
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 07:18 AM   #27
JDT

I wonder where the Arctic Fox falls in this group. I see they now have a 39' model, 35-5Z, and a 36 footer, 32-something. They seem to have a pretty good reputation but I think their dealer network is rather limited, mostly in the west. Excel did not have an extensive dealer network but they did go east and west.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:00 AM   #28

We have been living in our MS 36 tk3 on the road for the last 3 months now and love it. We wouldn't change a thing.
SrFox is offline   Reply With Quote