Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2020, 11:10 AM   #43

DO NOT ADD KEYSTONE ALPINE 5TH poor workman ship need to fire the line forman and supervisor 5 year old nothing but problem dealer say not worth 30000. maybe pay 79000 for it
double door refrig not work after 2-year--both grey and black water cable broken after 2.5 year ceiling fan excessive noise pull from used and install what it seem like
commode leaking water - slider leaking rain water keystone used self tapping for sheetmetal strip around slider and screw into wood
Glonac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2020, 11:39 AM   #44

This post asks the hardest question in the whole RV buying dilemma. My 0.02 for what its worth. I have owned an 1996 HH Premier 36' 2 slide, a 2004 Teton Grand Sundance 39' 3 axle 3 slide and currently own a 2018 Arctic Fox 29.5T. Aside from coaches that are custom built to spec, as in production 5th wheels, it's all about the bones...period! My AF is a very nice unit. Build quality on the finish stuff is well lets just say it leaves a lot to be desired. But the bones are well above average. Good structure, excellent frame quality! The furnishings especially the junk dining table fell out the door. I've had to fix quite a bit of stuff. Coming out of the Teton...I don't dare compare...especially what I paid for the AF. Way overpriced IMHO...BUT it ticked my boxes. I paid 80K for my 04 Teton...I paid 70K for the AF but in defense it was well equipped. Washer hookups...check, Solar prep...check, Generator...check, 2 AC's...check, good tankage...check, King size bed...check and so on. Oh yes and electric slide operators. My Teton hydraulic slides were never right. The slides always had issues from leaks in the pump to slides that either drifted in or drifted out. And yes I had this worked on and still it was never fixed. I just locked them in or out using the control valves. The wiring detail is fair at best, the water pump crapped out within the first year. Lippert ground control 3 to me is a joke...got to rough level the coach first...almost within inches...why bother (btw this was not explained well by the dealer). But it was already installed. The plumbing behind the wet bay is badly engineered. BUT THIS STUFF I CAN IMPROVE ON! The bones are what need to last! I don't care for coaches that do not have good quality "molded" fiberglass end caps, OR have undersize axles and brakes...you understand I'm sure.
Old 01-31-2020, 01:15 PM   #45

New Horizons is Fantastic

After searching for almost a year we purchased a 42' Majestic New Horizons.

Main reasons were that we toured the company watching them build them, we could come in and see it as they were building ours, and we got to design it to get EXACTLY what we needed and wanted. And they have taken excellent care of us since then. They are great to work with after the purchase also, not just until they get your money.

They are located in Junction City, KS.
HorizonsRV.com
live today is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 09:05 AM   #46

Yes, would not trade my Teton, heavy but the best quality.
Rrpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 10:15 AM   #47
JDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by live today View Post
After searching for almost a year we purchased a 42' Majestic New Horizons.

Main reasons were that we toured the company watching them build them, we could come in and see it as they were building ours, and we got to design it to get EXACTLY what we needed and wanted. And they have taken excellent care of us since then. They are great to work with after the purchase also, not just until they get your money.

They are located in Junction City, KS.
HorizonsRV.com
I wish they were in my price and weight range. I also wish Excel was still in business. Can't have everything I guess.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 10:56 AM   #48

Absolutely! The made to order semi custom and custom high end builders are usually too expensive for the average RV'r. Not everyone of course... but well they are! A well maintained coach like an Excel, Teton, HH there are many...too many to list are worth keeping if you don't mind upgrading systems, roof, furnishings paint etc. I only switched because i was tired of the limitations travelling with a big coach, I wanted a new truck and the downsize was perfect for me. My AF has all the necessary comforts with a much smaller footprint. Back before Teton went belly up I looked at a new replacement for my 14 year old coach. It was 150K. Nope!!! Just be careful what you buy and lean toward durability and not the extraneous bells and whistles. Also smaller coaches tens to be manufactured using lighter weight materials...not a good long term choice in my humble opinion. But they are less costly and easier to justify replacing while they still have value. After all is it about budgetary limits in mant cases.
Old 02-01-2020, 10:58 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrpilot View Post
Yes, would not trade my Teton, heavy but the best quality.
Can't disagree with that. Loved my Teton even with all the challenges.
Old 02-01-2020, 05:45 PM   #50
JDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryqster View Post
Absolutely! The made to order semi custom and custom high end builders are usually too expensive for the average RV'r. Not everyone of course... but well they are! A well maintained coach like an Excel, Teton, HH there are many...too many to list are worth keeping if you don't mind upgrading systems, roof, furnishings paint etc. I only switched because i was tired of the limitations travelling with a big coach, I wanted a new truck and the downsize was perfect for me. My AF has all the necessary comforts with a much smaller footprint. Back before Teton went belly up I looked at a new replacement for my 14 year old coach. It was 150K. Nope!!! Just be careful what you buy and lean toward durability and not the extraneous bells and whistles. Also smaller coaches tens to be manufactured using lighter weight materials...not a good long term choice in my humble opinion. But they are less costly and easier to justify replacing while they still have value. After all is it about budgetary limits in mant cases.
How has the AF held up for you? We've been thinking about what our next one will be and I know AF builds their own frames. They are not as glitzy as some but appear to be well built. The 325M would closest what we would want.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 03:14 PM   #51

Newmar use to build very good FW until they decided to quit and go only for very profitable motorhomes.
buc1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 08:33 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT View Post
How has the AF held up for you? We've been thinking about what our next one will be and I know AF builds their own frames. They are not as glitzy as some but appear to be well built. The 325M would closest what we would want.
We really like our 32-5M. As noted they are not the fanciest but they can be made as nice as you want. I wanted bones in the build before anything else. We deleted all the furniture, skylights, tv's(including outside tv) and few other things in the build and added the best I could find. It's amazing how comfortable it becomes if nice furniture and quality components are added to the already good build. As noted the frame is in house built and very well engineered and designed. They get heavy when options are added as they are limited in stock configuration. I added disk brakes, 17.5 wheels and tires along with x factors just to be safe. I also added 4000# springs. We couldn't decide between the 5M and 5Z so we flew to Arizona from Texas to look at both that were on the same lot. We then went to the factory and did the tours. We ordered ours in Baird Tx. Reliability has been very good. I had some problems with stripped screws in the cabinets but that is it. The trailer really performs well in excessive heat. I will say it is not as thermally efficient as my previous Alpenlite but better than the Mobile Suites that was drafty and worlds better than my Newmar.
Elkfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 12:15 PM   #53

Evergreen Owners Club
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
https://horizonsrv.com/
https://spacecraftmfg.com/

Those are the top of the lineup.
The rest are not even close.
Now that is only YOUR opinion. You need to look closer at LUXE!
schrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 07:46 PM   #54

Both in and out of business. The list should be as follows

Anderson Mobile

Continental by forks many have never seen a forks but search google there awesome.

Spacecraft

Teton

New Horizons

I would not include luxe on a top 5. Maybe top 10. Ive seen Luxe not perform in intense heat...full sun 100+ and high humidity. There owners are looking for shade in that heat. Enough said.

DRV maybe top 10 but not top 5 many owners ive spoke to look for warmer temps below 25. Now there are exceptions very few. One met recently on this forum in the frigid temps and hanging tough. Other wise they all say run for warmer temps below 25 as the suites wont stay warm. This is based on speaking to owners of these rigs. In the heat over 92-93 there looking for some shade. Again enough said.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 08:25 PM   #55

Funny thing and this is true. The owners of particular brands of rigs in this forum. They come into the park. And they get the sunniest hotest sites we have. As there big rig sites. No shade in 50 yards any direction. Sun rises on the door side and sets on the driver side. So i wait and watch to see who complains or asks for shade. If no complaints and there inside there rigs in afternoon. I know there built well. If they dont and sitting outside with multiple fans its probably cooler outside then inside. Out walking in the evening with my furry friend. Ask if there staying cool. they say its way to hot. Enough said.

Just an observation of summer days in the campground.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 06:48 AM   #56

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by consolenut View Post
Both in and out of business. The list should be as follows

Anderson Mobile

Continental by forks many have never seen a forks but search google there awesome.

Spacecraft

Teton

New Horizons

I would not include luxe on a top 5. Maybe top 10. Ive seen Luxe not perform in intense heat...full sun 100+ and high humidity. There owners are looking for shade in that heat. Enough said.

DRV maybe top 10 but not top 5 many owners ive spoke to look for warmer temps below 25. Now there are exceptions very few. One met recently on this forum in the frigid temps and hanging tough. Other wise they all say run for warmer temps below 25 as the suites wont stay warm. This is based on speaking to owners of these rigs. In the heat over 92-93 there looking for some shade. Again enough said.

I find this very very hard to believe they are guaranteed to keep you comfortable from -10 to + 115. I have looked at Luxe, I know how well they are insulated.
schrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel