Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2021, 06:55 PM   #183

I was on a jury in a civil case that involved two trucks about 1 year ago. One Semi and one pick-up. The picture of the pick-up had stuff in the bed. One person said, how much does all the stuff weigh. So we looked at everything and assigned a weight to everything we saw.

The pick-up driver was sueing the semi truck company.

As it turned out because the mid sized pick-up truck had 800lbs of stuff in the bed of the truck he got a lot less money. The jury started out all over the board with assigning fault. We decided to use 10% increments. Two jurors said the semi truck gets 90% of fault and two jurors said semi truck driver should get zero fault. 4 other jurors were just listening.

After I was a juror in this civil case I came away with how different people see things. Actually kinda scary.

Bottom line the mid sized truck was deemed more fault because it had 800lbs of stuff in the bed.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2021, 07:26 PM   #184

Good Info, another reason to not get greedy and fight it. I would say that case was probably just s small percent that went that way, but it shows yah, you never know how the courts are going to rule, could go either way. I would of been in the commercial driver being at fault so the big company can suck uo the cost instead of the little pick up guy and been the first one to say ok everybody, no brainer lets go home. Haha
20 ram 3500 ho hd drw Laramie Cummins/aisin w/410 & auto level air suspension with max tow . BILLET silver sport ext. w/ black int. with 12" monitor with all safety features, camera , & luxuries. Full timers & building a Luxe 48fb w/ side patio.
Billett Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 07:39 PM   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billett Bee View Post
Not seen much action in this thread for awhile, maybe my comments will instigate some opinions from both sides. I've had 20 model ram 3500 ho hd built for maximum capability. The main purpose for the build is that we are ful timers and are drastically increasing our fiver home size. Now many are going to say you should have bought a higher class truck, but we all know the numbers, gawr on tv and trailer are main priority with gcwr coming in next. Im a former decades old truck driver so experience level is a non issue. I reside in South Dakota, so I don't need a special licence for being over 26,000lbs , good thing because I can't pass the medical exam anymore. My new ram has the 400hp, 1000ft lbs tq, Cummins / aisin combo w 410 gear and rear air bags and max tow brakes with 30k puck hitch, and D rated tires , Jake brake and quality brake controle with hyd over electric setting with truck and trailer ttpms, so am I worried, ughhh, heck no, we're going to order a new fiver th that is heavy for an rv. A 48fb luxe. Here are the numbers, will I be over in gvwr and pl, yes, am I worried, no. Will I try to manage weight to better to relieve pin weight, probably, will I upgrade tires even though not necessary, probably after wore out.
Truck
Gvwr 14k
Gawr front 6k
Gawr rear 9,750
Total gawr 15,750
Pl 4500
Gcwr 43k
Empty truck weight 8800
Actual truck weight with hitch and fully loaded tool box 9500
Trailer w/ good year 17.5" h rated tires w/ disk brakes
Tri axle 8k axles =24k
Gvwr 25,999
Uvw 22,800
ccc 3,199
Pin weight about 5200
So my combined weight of truck and trailer
Gcw of 35,000 (all good)
3 trailer axles at 6,934 each ( all good)
Trailer gvw around 26k ( little over but all good)
Front truck axle 5,730 ( all good)
Rear truck axle 8,980. ( all good )
Truck gvw 14,700 ( ugh ohh ret ro, not good but not worried)
Truck pl 5200 ( not good but not worried)
So yes Im over on the last two. Since all parts and components are rated for 15,750, and or 43,000 combined, I'm not worried in the least, especially since we all know that manufacturer doesn't rate to the breaking point or danger limit. Then there is the being the leader in the top class 3 of the manufacturers, hence why f450s are still class 3 with a 14k rating. It's all about leading the numbers in that particular class. I've never seen an rv pulled over with scales under it and 99.9% of us don't stop at scales as were not commercial vehicles. Unless sign says all cmvs and rvs , Then i still blow it by but know I'm under on axle weight so dont worry and keep on trucking and have never been chased down, yet hahaha. Bottom line stay under axle weight limits and drive responsibly and enjoy life and watch out for the crazies, aka , me
forget all of the mumbo just look at your yellow door sticker for your CCW, I would bet that with your projected 5200 pin weight you will be Grossly overloaded. You need a Class 8 truck for that monster RV. Good Luck and be Safe
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 08:00 PM   #186

Register truck for higher GVWR...........stay under axle/tire load ratings

Then criminal/civil courts become less worrisome cause you are 'legal'

Course you can get sued for running over the neighbors dog that ran out into your path
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 09:56 PM   #187

I'm in the works of changing my gvwr to 15,000. Ill have to wait untill I purchase the RV and send an official weight ticket and then they'll change it to what I need. I honestly believe though that at the worst case scenario ( at the current 14,000 gvwr) would I then be at 750 lbs over on pl and gvw but under 850-1000 lbs on raw and trailer axles. So all axles are good. Definitly not changing trucks after an $85,000 build, but if I was to , a class 4 would be all you would need to get gvwr from 14,001-16,000. As far as I'm concerned, me and my rig are ready to go.love my truck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210112_213015.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	219.6 KB
ID:	314298  
20 ram 3500 ho hd drw Laramie Cummins/aisin w/410 & auto level air suspension with max tow . BILLET silver sport ext. w/ black int. with 12" monitor with all safety features, camera , & luxuries. Full timers & building a Luxe 48fb w/ side patio.
Old 01-13-2021, 12:09 AM   #188

Well in the case of a F450, Ford rates it to tow a gooseneck trailer of 32,500 lbs. Most GN trailers have a pin weight of about 20%. So that GN trailer will have a pin weight of about 6500 lbs, which is way above the payload rating of any F450.
TheLex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 12:18 AM   #189

It should be noted that a lot of the comments in this thread are about commercial vehicles. They are not governed by the same regulations as non commercial vehicles. The commercial regulations are from FMCSA documents. Our RVs, RV trailers and tow vehicles are overwhelmingly governed by FMVSS standards. One is not applicable to the other.

Every vehicle manufactured under the guidance of FMVSS will display a federal certification label. On that label there will be a statement very similar to the following; "This vehicle conforms to all applicable federal motor vehicle safety standards in effect on the date of manufacture shown on the label".

NHTSA mandates vehicle owner manual notifications. They include GVWR; "GVWR means the value specified by the manufacturer as the loaded weight of a single vehicle." That's the FMVSS definition. (49 CFR 571.3 refers).

This is the wording most FMVSS vehicle manufacturers will use; "Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) refers to the maximum allowable weight a vehicle has been engineered by manufacturers to safely carry. This weight rating is regulated by the United States federal government and does not include the weight specs of any accompanying trailers.
FastEagle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 12:51 AM   #190

I will never understand the ignorance os some people regarding towing. I was at our local RV shop a couple of months back filling my propane tanks when a fellow walked over to me and asked why my receiver on my GMC 25HD was so big compared to his Ford F150 he had there (which he had a Bullet TT hooked to it). I explained that 2500 vehicles came with Class IV trailer hitches while his F150 came with a class III. He proceeded to inquire what the difference was while I was explaining the differences and why he asked if my truck tow his trailer. I wasn't sure what he was asking and then he clarified himself this was his statement " you must not know what your are talking about because Ford says my truck will tow 11,900 pounds and the salesman that sold him the trailer told him it was within the limits of his truck" I explained to him Ford could state whatever they wanted to but his class III trailer hitch is only rated for 10,000 pounds with a WDH. It was obvious the vehicle was overloaded as they had a rack with 4 bicycles across the bed and the bed was full to the top plus their 3 kids dog and his wife. I excused myself from the conversation since it was obvious I don't know anything about trucks or towing. My point is most people have no idea what the payload is of a vehicle which is more important that the tow rating and yes while it's only a civil action should you get in a accident you may have a hard time getting insurance you can afford after being in accident and it is determined that you were overweight at the time of the accident. That is why the insurance industry has been pushing the DOT to start requiring private vehicles to go through the scales and while states have a buffer of 1000-3000 pounds that really is nothing when you are talking about a truck and trailer that has a gross weight of 80,000 pounds as compared to a 3500 & trailer with a gross of 25,000 pounds
Old 01-13-2021, 07:36 AM   #191

All great points, thers allot of ignorance out there that just take others word as facts and never did any research of there own . ( my own little dig here that I'm sure will ruffle somebody's feathers but i find it to be more often than most to be a FORD driver, lol). allot of times the evidence is so clear and in your face that were all calling it out just driving down the interstate, going look at that idiot.
I've Been in talks with ram ever since I bought the truck. I have talked to all the reps and a few engineers. My question is simple
What is the weakest link in my truck that limits it's gvwr to just 14k, and don't give me a generic answer as I personally know what all the individual parts are rated for and if its just as simple as marketing to keep it the leader in class 3 trucks than please be honest because I can live with that.
Not one engenier or ram spokes person has yet to be able to give any piece or part on the vehicle wich is the reason why it's limited to 14k.
I bein an ex decades old commercial driver know that commercial vehicles and drivers are by far and not even close watched and monitored than a non commercial vehicle.
In my view in the event of an accident while towing the RV, my main concern is not about my insurance company canceling me and I having to get another company and paying higher rates, as I could care less about that, all I care about is the well being and safety for all that are involved. Luckily in all my years of travel I've seen extremely very few rv related involved accidents and even fewer where the rv was at fault and more often than none it was a stupid passenger car cutting us off and slamming on the brakes. Fingers crossed that none of us are one of the few involved. I for one will live life with knowledge and take safety into account and adjust my driving and load accordingly but i won't live my life worrying about the worst case scenario