Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2019, 06:23 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhagfo View Post
So one needs to ask with the big three in the tow rating wars, why is it while Ford and Ram are at the max of the Class 3 GVWR of 14,000# while GM has chosen to remain at 13,025#. Why is it that they just have bumped up the GVWR on the DRW to 14,000# and gain 975# of GVWR just like that? Why is it that they feel they can't add that extra 975# of GVWR to the GM DRW twins? What is it about the GM that they feel only rates 13,025# GVWR and NOT 14,000# what is the weak link that PREVENTS 14,000# GVWR?

Exactly and its many times the chassis that is the weak link.

On pickup trucks the chassis is one place they too often turn to in order to reduce weight and when they go thin, punch too many cookie cutter holes in them, or go light on some of the cross members to reduce weight then you have less reserve capacity. Some have mentioned how badly their trucks handled when overloaded and this can be a sign that the chassis did not have enough torsional rigidity to safely carry the weight.

I went through this with delivery trucks where we would have to beef up the frames before putting them in service because of the thinning out of the chassis by the manufacturers to save weight. For a while Ford was among the worst of the big three at this. It became quickly apparent to us because we delivered construction materials to unpaved job sites where a weak chassis would not hold up very well and end up cracking truck cargo boxes, etc.

Springs and their mounts too are also involved in this as they try to make pickup trucks ride softer and handle more like the family car.

Tire width or road contact patch also plays into this too as road damage occurs when narrow tires are used due to wheel well/vehicle track constraints. If the tires are too narrow than after a certain weight they will start to make furrows in our paved roads costing us dearly in additional road maintenance budgets.

Its not just the rating of the axles.

With the way things are engineered to satisfy Equity Group bean counters today with little to no reserve capacity I would under rate most and not assume any extra capacity.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2019, 08:14 AM   #100

GVWR

So far I have seen one post asking the question that has not been answered. Are you actually talking about the GROSS VEHICLE WEIGHT RATING GVWR or the GROSS COMBINED WEIGHT RATING GCWR. I find it hard to believe you have your trucks GVWR maxed out unless you are carrying a bed full of stuff, a large extra fuel tank or combination of stuff plus full passanger load.

If you are actually over the GVWR then it's time to reevaluate what stuff you're carrying. If it's the GCWR then it's time to look at the stuff in the truck and trailer or get a bigger truck.
captrcurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 10:27 AM   #101

I have a 2017 Ram 2500 with Cummins and 3.42 gears (hate that ratio) S W D and pulling over weight some. The truck handles it great although it does struggle in the hills with that gear ratio. My most important precaution is I drive at 65 or under, never get in a hurry, use my exhaust breaks and stay off my breaks as much as possible, so far exhaust breaks are working great, and as taught in EVOC I drive two to three cars ahead.
Viperone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 01:26 AM   #102

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperone View Post
I have a 2017 Ram 2500 with Cummins and 3.42 gears (hate that ratio) S W D and pulling over weight some. The truck handles it great although it does struggle in the hills with that gear ratio. My most important precaution is I drive at 65 or under, never get in a hurry, use my exhaust breaks and stay off my breaks as much as possible, so far exhaust breaks are working great, and as taught in EVOC I drive two to three cars ahead.
EVOC that's a term I have not heard in a few years=============
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 09:16 AM   #103

Also you can order a RPO for four trailer tire air pressure and temperature sensors. The truck is Capable of monitoring up to six of the sensors, two more sensors can be ordered through your GM parts department . My new 2020 3500 HD SRW will be at my dealership within 10 Days.
smunstldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 06:01 AM   #104

Warranty issues

The only thing I will say is that if you ever need warranty work (or any work done while it is under warranty) do Not take the trailer with you to the dealership and if you need to be towed for a roadside problem find a separate tow company first to take the trailer away from the scene or GM will void your warranty for being overloaded.
BigAirT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 08:49 PM   #105

Tiffin Owners Club
To those who asked, yes we're talking about GVWR of the truck. If you add the front axle scale weight to the rear axle scale weight you get the GVW of the truck. That adds up to more than my GVWR. In the truck was the DW, myself and the 25 lb dog. In the bed, was the hitch (300lbs), a tool box (< 200lbs), a 20 lb propane bottle, and a little bit of firewood. No spare fuel tank. The pin weight is well over 4,000 lbs. That's the part that I wasn't expecting.

The GVWR of the RV is 18,000 lbs. It's not over 18,000. The RV has 8K axles and the CAT scales had them weighing under 13,000 lbs.

If I have 200 lbs in the bed of my truck, that adds directly to the GVW of the truck. If I move that 200 lbs to the RV, only a part of that will end up back on the truck as pin weight. I can eliminate pretty much everything but the hitch from the truck bed. I can also trim some weight in the RV. I hate to eliminate the generator but it may have to go.
Old 06-30-2019, 06:35 AM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadEyePie View Post
To those who asked, yes we're talking about GVWR of the truck. If you add the front axle scale weight to the rear axle scale weight you get the GVW of the truck. That adds up to more than my GVWR. In the truck was the DW, myself and the 25 lb dog. In the bed, was the hitch (300lbs), a tool box (< 200lbs), a 20 lb propane bottle, and a little bit of firewood. No spare fuel tank. The pin weight is well over 4,000 lbs. That's the part that I wasn't expecting.

The GVWR of the RV is 18,000 lbs. It's not over 18,000. The RV has 8K axles and the CAT scales had them weighing under 13,000 lbs.

If I have 200 lbs in the bed of my truck, that adds directly to the GVW of the truck. If I move that 200 lbs to the RV, only a part of that will end up back on the truck as pin weight. I can eliminate pretty much everything but the hitch from the truck bed. I can also trim some weight in the RV. I hate to eliminate the generator but it may have to go.
I am in the same boat as you, when I load my truck with everything I could ever take on a trip tools, wood, jack for RV, extra 30lb propane tank, hitch, 4 people, RV full of all the things I could ever need, generator, 84 gallons of water and food I am over the trucks GVWR but way under the limit on both axles. While I have never seen an RV being weighed, in the remote possibility it happens I asked a friend that works for a weight station and he said it would be weighed just like a commercial vehicle and they will check the axle weight ratings. I had to stop my truck as hard as I could last month when an idiot decided to dead stop on I-85 in the fast lane, brakes are not an issue for these trucks, I was amazed how quickly it stopped. If I was over the axle ratings or tire ratings I would be very concerned to the point of looking for a new TV. A few hundred pounds over the GVWR is not a huge concern in my opinion.....
Maxduramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 01:35 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadEyePie View Post

Roadeye
My GAWR off my door sticker is 1300lbs higher than my GVWR.I can Go into The DMV. And have it raised to 14000 for$$$$. As long as your weight is under on your axles, Tim's and tires dont sweat it. Go enjoy
Old 06-30-2019, 02:48 PM   #108

Maxdurax
I’m in the same situation as you are. More than once have had to jam on to the old binders with no problems.
Go camping, your not that much over. More than once I see people steer away from the yellow road divider line .
No traffic, don’t panic it’s just a guide as a lot of other guides as weight guide lines.
U-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 02:55 PM   #109
laj

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane wood View Post
Roadeye
My GAWR off my door sticker is 1300lbs higher than my GVWR.I can Go into The DMV. And have it raised to 14000 for$$$$. As long as your weight is under on your axles, Tim's and tires dont sweat it. Go enjoy

you’ve got that right!
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 03:31 PM   #110

For the past 60 plus years I have been behind or passed by teailers being towed.
When they get into that ugley swing patern and some have crashed in front of me. Over the years.

A few even had hitch weight distribution hitches.

The number one issue I have personally observed issnt overweight issues causing the accident.
It was poor distribution of weight.
Ice chests, extra fuel and propane tanks. Tools whatever ???

Then I have seen the tow vebicles rear end lifted off the pavement and set around jack knifing the trailer.
Because the weight distribution bars were set to high.
Poor weight distribution.

Overweight situations ?
Blows tires, truck and trailer tires.
Breaks trailer axles
Breaks trailer frames etc.etc.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 06:20 PM   #111

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by shane wood View Post
Roadeye
I guess I don't understand this. GAWR to me means Gross Axle Weight Rating, but that doesn't mean anything without a Front or Rear designation, unless you mean the two combined. My combined axle ratings are 14,975 lbs. My GVWR is 13,025. My last weigh ticket had my truck axles weighing 13,860, well under the axle ratings.

I have since emptied everything out of the truck bed except the hitch and put the tools and propane tank in the RV storage area. Still working to trim weight where I can.

As I have said, I have full confidence in the trucks ability to tow the RV safely.
Old 06-30-2019, 06:26 PM   #112

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJLowell View Post
For the past 60 plus years I have been behind or passed by teailers being towed.
When they get into that ugley swing patern and some have crashed in front of me. Over the years.

A few even had hitch weight distribution hitches.

The number one issue I have personally observed issnt overweight issues causing the accident.
It was poor distribution of weight.
Ice chests, extra fuel and propane tanks. Tools whatever ???

Then I have seen the tow vebicles rear end lifted off the pavement and set around jack knifing the trailer.
Because the weight distribution bars were set to high.
Poor weight distribution.

Overweight situations ?
Blows tires, truck and trailer tires.
Breaks trailer axles
Breaks trailer frames etc.etc.
I'm happy that you've seen a lot, but I don't think any of this applies to me or my situation. I don't have a distribution problem. The trailer / axles are far from over weight and the total weight is a few thousand pounds under the GCWR.