Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2019, 04:57 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadEyePie View Post
I'm happy that you've seen a lot, but I don't think any of this applies to me or my situation. I don't have a distribution problem. The trailer / axles are far from over weight and the total weight is a few thousand pounds under the GCWR.
My point is that [emoji2]
I dont see that you have an issue at all.
Keep your tires inflated properly.
And keep your trailer balanced correctly.
And the rest is dependent on your Driving skills.

In my opinion.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2019, 11:28 AM   #114

RoadEyePie,
Best I can tell from your weights--you are about 800lbs over the truck GVWR. The sum of the axles is always higher than the mfgs GVWR, that is their engineered decision. Don't worry about 800 lbs, not going to cause you any problems, in spite of the naysayers as to accidents/lawyers/etc. If you take the gen out, is that alone going to solve everything? And consider, hardly anyone that travels in an RV ever gets lighter as they gather new 'stuff' that is needed....so if you are worried about the numbers, either correct them or go on, as only you can make that decision. I would go on...
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 02:59 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadEyePie View Post
I guess I don't understand this. GAWR to me means Gross Axle Weight Rating, but that doesn't mean anything without a Front or Rear designation, unless you mean the two combined. My combined axle ratings are 14,975 lbs. My GVWR is 13,025. My last weigh ticket had my truck axles weighing 13,860, well under the axle ratings.

I have since emptied everything out of the truck bed except the hitch and put the tools and propane tank in the RV storage area. Still working to trim weight where I can.

As I have said, I have full confidence in the trucks ability to tow the RV safely.
The front and rear combined
Old 07-08-2019, 07:56 PM   #116

Unless I missed it... this thread is useless with out scale ticket with each axle weight.
Also need GVWR of each unit.
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:29 PM   #117
JDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjustdave View Post
Unless I missed it... this thread is useless with out scale ticket with each axle weight.
The factory does it for you. Find the yellow sticker on your driver's door post. It will give a payload number for that particular truck. It basically is the GVWR minus the weight of that particular truck. The numbers will vary based on how the truck is equipped.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:30 AM   #118

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by imjustdave View Post
You missed it. Scale ticket weight was provided as was GVWR of each unit.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:19 PM   #119

As I see it, you have only two choices: Turn yourself IMMEDIATELY into the weight police and they will handcuff you to an F450 and confiscate your truck OR get rid of all that stuff you don't need, like heated/cooled seats, 4 wheel drive, hitch, tools, that big heavy safe full of money, your spouse (keep the dogs) and only fill your tank half full.... OR, if your truck handles well, pulls the hills you travel and stops without making your knuckles turn white, then drive it sensibly, as always, and enjoy this great and wonderful country!!!
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:42 PM   #120

road dogs,
Finally a voice of reason....
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 05:53 AM   #121
laj

yup, nice to see a little common sense
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 07:52 PM   #122

The vehicle must have a federal vehicle certification label. On that label is the vehicle manufacturer’s maximum load rating for that particular vehicle. It’s known as Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR). The vehicle manufacturer has stipulated that the “vehicle conforms to all applicable U.S. Federal Motor Vehicle safety standards in effect on the date of manufacturer.”

What many neglect to consider is the fact that the only way that GVWR can be legally increased is by approval of the vehicle manufacturer or a certified vehicle modifier.

Another consideration is the fact that the standards (FMVSS) used to satisfy the government safety standards are MINIMAL standards. IMO, Striving to stay within the safety standards should always be at the top of your goals list for safe RV traveling.
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 08:09 PM   #123

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by road dogs View Post
As I see it, you have only two choices: Turn yourself IMMEDIATELY into the weight police and they will handcuff you to an F450 and confiscate your truck OR get rid of all that stuff you don't need, like heated/cooled seats, 4 wheel drive, hitch, tools, that big heavy safe full of money, your spouse (keep the dogs) and only fill your tank half full.... OR, if your truck handles well, pulls the hills you travel and stops without making your knuckles turn white, then drive it sensibly, as always, and enjoy this great and wonderful country!!!
I turned myself in yesterday. They did not handcuff me to an F450.
Old 07-14-2019, 09:47 AM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEagle View Post
The vehicle must have a federal vehicle certification label. On that label is the vehicle manufacturer’s maximum load rating for that particular vehicle. It’s known as Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR). The vehicle manufacturer has stipulated that the “vehicle conforms to all applicable U.S. Federal Motor Vehicle safety standards in effect on the date of manufacturer.”

What many neglect to consider is the fact that the only way that GVWR can be legally increased is by approval of the vehicle manufacturer or a certified vehicle modifier.

Another consideration is the fact that the standards (FMVSS) used to satisfy the government safety standards are MINIMAL standards. IMO, Striving to stay within the safety standards should always be at the top of your goals list for safe RV traveling.
I identify as a Federal Vehicle certification label maker.

I relabel my truck on a daily basis. Sometime times multiple times a day depending on if I have eaten a mucho mas plate at the local mexican restaurant.
Old 07-14-2019, 12:26 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemike View Post
I identify as a Federal Vehicle certification label maker.

I relabel my truck on a daily basis. Sometime times multiple times a day depending on if I have eaten a mucho mas plate at the local mexican restaurant.
You may be confusing it with the cargo label.
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 01:25 PM   #126

How can it only be legal to change something that has no legal basis ?
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote