Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2012, 09:44 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
The link you gave isn't for the 2013 Arctic Fox Line. In 2013 Northwood decided to add a bunch of weight to their Fifth Wheels. They don't list a 32-5S instead they have a 32-5M with a dry weight of 9880#, dry pin weight of 2600, gvwr 16600#. I just purchased a 2013 27-5L and it will be pushing my F350 Diesel to it's limit. It's an 02 though and the newer F350 can cary a little more weight.
Open the OP's link to the Arctic Fox 32-5S, it's the bottom listed 5er on the page. A pop-up window opens with the specs for 32-5S when clicked. That's where I got my information.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2012, 05:24 PM   #16

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
You know what the treailer is, how much does it weigh, how heavy is the pin weight? Look at the truck specs that come from the dealer/manufacturer and see how much weight the trucks will tow and what the payload is for the pin weight and stuff you are going to haul. Dont rely on personal opinion and guess work, you are legally responsible for having an adequate tow vehicle.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:43 AM   #17

Get the biggest truck you can afford. My Duramax 2500 pulls my 14,000 pounder just fine. But then, I added air bags and Bilstein shocks so it's equivilent to a 1 ton now.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:39 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post
Get the biggest truck you can afford. My Duramax 2500 pulls my 14,000 pounder just fine. But then, I added air bags and Bilstein shocks so it's equivilent to a 1 ton now.

ONLY in your own mind....

Sorry - but LOTS more in upgrading and re-certifying a truck's capacity than shocks and air bags...

You may FEEL that it handles and rides somewhat better - but it's STILL a 2500, with all the same official ratings and limitations it had when it rolled outta the factory!
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:50 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbob52 View Post
Will I need a 3/4 or one ton truck to pull this 13,000 pounds Camper?

It's a Arctic Fox 32-5S

Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel Trailers
I would go with a long box q-cab 3500 gm duramax SRW and u will be well covered even if u need more capacity later on or a bigger trailer
rvrepairnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:31 PM   #20

Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Be sure to add extra pounds to your pin weight calculation. When we bought our rig none of the manufacturers stated the pin weight.

Our F250, 7.3 liter diesel, 3.7 gear ratio has always pulled our 9,110 dry weight, GVWR 12,410 Cardina just fine. The truck now has 200,000 miles on it. We have always been under the towing weight limits per the Ford specifications for our particular truck.

Please note the the OEM shocks will be junk and you will need to add good gas shocks.

We added a Trail Air pin box which helps with chucking BUT also increased the pin weight. Also over time you will add weight - tools and camping stuff. Our last CAT scale reading was 18,920 lbs gross with a full fresh water tank.

Verify the weight ratings of each truck you consider. Buying a bit stronger truck is a good idea. We never though we would need a one ton but if the price is close and the mileage is acceptable to you I would recommend the larger truck.

I spent a lot of time on irv2 when we were shopping for our truck and 5vr. The information here is amazing.
ncason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:39 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Lots of opinions on gas vs diesel . We were faced with the same questions when we bought our truck and 5th wheel . We bought the truck first and ordered it with a 8.1 gas engine, 410 rear, six speed Allison trans.and air bags. Our first trailers gross weight was 13,000 lbs, just under the max towing capacity of the truck. Our nex trailer about the same in weight but longer. The reason we went with gas vs diesel was when bought the cost of diesel fuel was about $1.50 per gallon higher and the cost of the truck with diesel was $5,000 more. We have a lot of friends with diesel engines and they rave about their power but cry when you start having to pay to fix them. In the research we did, it cost less to work on our 8.1 than the diesel. Our milage is bad when pulling 8.0 MPG. but I can do it up or down any hill. There had better be a gas station on top of the hill however. If I had it to do over I think I would buy a used Dodge dually, one of the older models with the Cummins engine. They get better milage then the new ones. When it comes time to retire our truck its better for us buying 4 tires than 6.
jsunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:54 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post

Huh????
Shock absorbers do nothing for load carrying capacity. But then again if your truck is correct for your load all bets are off.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:10 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Huh????
Shock absorbers do nothing for load carrying capacity. But then again if your truck is correct for your load all bets are off.
as others have said.If you changed your rims to the same rating as 3500
your brakes,your axle housing assembley,your frame etc only then would u be a 3500
rvrepairnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:18 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvrepairnut View Post
as others have said.If you changed your rims to the same rating as 3500
your brakes,your axle housing assembley,your frame etc only then would u be a 3500
The Dodge/Ford and GM 3500/F350 SRW has the same frame/front and rear axles and their housings/brakes as the 2500/F250 truck.

The only different is the SRW has higher rated wheels/tires and spring pack than the 2500/F250 truck according to their spec sheets.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:54 AM   #25

I'm getting prices on New trucks because I'm afraid of getting on the highway with a used gas truck with over 100,000 miles and having engine problems. Does gas trucks with a 100,000 start having engine problems? Doesn't people sell the truck before the Warranty runs out because they are starting to have problems?

I'm getting prices on Dodge Ram, GMC, Chev., Ford. This truck will be for the slide-in camper. I'm not getting any 5th wheel trailers anytime soon. I'm looking at one ton single axle truck with a standard cab, gas engine.

Thanks.
Wildbob52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:52 PM   #26

I drive a '99 f350 drw with a v10. 109,000 miles and runs like new. Its all in the maintenance and how you drive.
Took it 900mi to disneyworld a year ago towing our 30' 5ver.
fishinjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:10 AM   #27

The company I work for has lots of Chevy 6.0 gas trucks with well over 100,000 miles and some with 200,000 miles. We do road construction. The whole truck is getting tired by this point. We put on lots of hard miles every year by different drivers. As in young drivers with the hammer down motto. Gas engines are very good for longevity now as apposed to 20 years ago.
dakotakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:25 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post
Sorry - but LOTS more in upgrading and re-certifying a truck's capacity than shocks and air bags...
Maybe, maybe not. In many cases there is no physical difference between a SRW 2500 and 3500 beyond a different spring pack and a '3' instead of a '2' in the nameplate. If you want to obsess about the sticker then have at it, but in the real world there is no rational reason to believe anything other than the same parts = the same capacity.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote