Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2021, 05:39 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Carolina Campers
What's your leveling procedure

Up until now we have never owned a auto level system. Now we have the Lippert auto level and the unit has 4 legs that level out the camper. Its picky and you have to be close to level for it to really work. From start to finish what is your procedure for leveling out with this system? Do you leave the truck close to in place in case you need to hook up and move a little? How do you do it. I'm in need of step procedure to start with and work with till I perfect my own. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ScopesNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2021, 06:19 PM   #2

What do you mean it has to be close to level for it to work? I have a 6 point Lippert leveling system on ours and I have been way out of level (far enough to lift one side off the ground completely) and it worked flawlessly, Ours is the hydraulic system. I’ve seen others way out of level and press auto level and it worked as well. Perhaps there’s something not working or calibrated correctly on yours.

I never keep my truck in place as the first thing it does is lower the front which would contact my truck. I’m a little confused as the whole point of that system is to press one button and be level.
cashmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 06:25 PM   #3

First we level side to side as well as possible before we unhook. Place wooden blocks (made by my DH) under the levelling legs and place the chocks behind and in front of the wheels. Then we unhook and lower the nose so that it is below level to start (we were having problems with it lifting the wheels off the ground and this seems to have been the remedy for us). Then push auto level and let it do its thing. Once that is all done check for level and if it is out somewhat (though it usually isn’t), manually level it out. Then you are done and can open slides. I think that is all the steps....been awhile and doing from memory lol. Hope this helps.
Slapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 06:41 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashmore View Post
What do you mean it has to be close to level for it to work? I have a 6 point Lippert leveling system on ours and I have been way out of level (far enough to lift one side off the ground completely) and it worked flawlessly, Ours is the hydraulic system. I’ve seen others way out of level and press auto level and it worked as well. Perhaps there’s something not working or calibrated correctly on yours.

I never keep my truck in place as the first thing it does is lower the front which would contact my truck. I’m a little confused as the whole point of that system is to press one button and be level.
Mine is new and I have only tried to use it 4 or 5 times to get it level in our parking place which is not level. It tries to get things level , but always seems to error out at some point . At one point it did lift the tires on one side off the ground before I stopped it and made it go back down.
I would like to level mine out with just a push of the button , but it doesn't seem to want to do that. I have read on line all I can about the system , but nothing seems to work. I can do it manually , but not by the auto system alone.

What I mean to leave the truck near by not under the unit in case it fails and I have to go back and add a leveler under one of the legs.
This system does not want to auto level out for me and I was hoping to get some procedures.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-13-2021, 06:49 PM   #5

There is a limit to the system. It will only extend so far before erroring out. I have been using the system long enough to know when I park it if it’s too far out, it takes a little time to learn it.

If I indeed get an error because it’s too far out I do carry some wood and leveling blocks still that I use under the pads to assist with height.

I follow much the same process that the last poster listed. I would suggest that you take it to a few different places and “learn” your specific system as you’ve only used it in your standard spot. Use blocks under pad and wheels like we all used to have to do if needed.
cashmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 07:01 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshoot View Post
First we level side to side as well as possible before we unhook. Place wooden blocks (made by my DH) under the levelling legs and place the chocks behind and in front of the wheels. Then we unhook and lower the nose so that it is below level to start (we were having problems with it lifting the wheels off the ground and this seems to have been the remedy for us). Then push auto level and let it do its thing. Once that is all done check for level and if it is out somewhat (though it usually isn’t), manually level it out. Then you are done and can open slides. I think that is all the steps....been awhile and doing from memory lol. Hope this helps.
Thanks. That is the kind of information I'm looking for.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-14-2021, 09:46 AM   #7

Grand Design Owners Club
I usually check the readout before unhooking and get close to level side to side with leveling blocks under the tires. This is not a necessary step , I just don’t like having the wheels off the ground. Then pads go under the jacks and hit the Auto button.
The first thing it does is drop the front lower than the rear. We have been in one spot that was so low at the rear that the the front jacks bottomed out , setting an error code. That’s the only time in 3 years I recall auto not working.
Charlie
cfowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 06:18 PM   #8

auto level

You should get the manual from either your dealer or on the web from LCI. We have a 4 point system and the system behaves differently if you are nose up and hit the auto level.
The system may not have been calibrated for level. Look for a gear icon. You can use either a smart phone app or a 2' level to get the coach level.
mjdenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 05:41 AM   #9

We have a Lippert four jack system. I installed one of those big levels on the front of the trailer. I watch my mirror and jockey around the site to get as close to level as I can. I rarely need blocks under the tires, I just try to get within a couple of inches. Then I put put a pair of those round Anderson blocks under the front legs and unhitch. Then I drop the front legs to level or a tad low in front. Put the second pair of Anderson blocks under the rear legs and push auto level. I can easily lift the tires off the ground, but prefer to keep them all grounded if possible.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 08:56 AM   #10
Community Moderator

A couple of issues that may be affecting your system could be the rear level sensor may have come loose and not level. Even that sensor may not be level. Your system may need to be recalibrated to zero and you can do this.
Not sure what all you have but on the 6 point system you can scroll thru the screen on the control unit in the basement and it tells you how to recalibrate.

One important point about having your wheels off ground is if too high you can flip your spring hangars which will give you issues.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 10:10 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Our is an air and hydraulic system. I have one jack that does not like to retract.

What I do is look at the site and if the rear end is low I drive the rear up on 2x12 's one or two high. My goal of doing this is to make sure the tires have contact. I'm always concerned about having the rear tires off the ground and them being the only ones that the emgery brakes are applied to.

I put down blocks under all the Jack's and an extra 2x6 under the jack that does not retract well. Dump the air. At this point the one jack that does not retract will is sitting on the wood blocks. Level the hydraulic system. See if I need to add another step.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 07:27 PM   #12

I have the 6 point auto level up system and can just unhook and press a button. My buddy has the 4 point and needs to get his almost level, then he drops the front jacks and disconnects from the the tow vehicle. and presses his auto level. He has had to reconnect a couple of times because the system won't level all the way.
Andy69Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 07:40 AM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy69Morris View Post
I have the 6 point auto level up system and can just unhook and press a button. My buddy has the 4 point and needs to get his almost level, then he drops the front jacks and disconnects from the the tow vehicle. and presses his auto level. He has had to reconnect a couple of times because the system won't level all the way.
Your buddy sounds like he has my same system. That is why I ask about leaving the truck near by ready to hook up again.
There have been some good suggestions for me on this one I can try . I think the main thing is to get a leveling system down for us when we unhook.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-19-2021, 11:52 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshoot View Post
Just a quick question about lowering the front first...does this negate the "auto reconnect" feature when hooking back up to move?
Unikfrst is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling