Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2017, 11:12 PM   #1

Jayco Owners Club
Wheel balancing

Do any of you have your trailer wheels balance?
djnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2017, 12:19 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum.
Balanced during initial tire mounting, or do you mean routinely after so many un-injured miles with a position rotation? Not sure we understand your question.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 01:01 AM   #3

A better question would be.....Is there any good reason to NOT have them balanced?
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 03:18 AM   #4

Jayco Owners Club
Routinely as in yearly.
Old 05-13-2017, 04:23 AM   #5

Ah, I got cha now. Personally, I have never done that, and here's why. Unless a wheel weight has fallen off or there is obserable damage to the tire from cupping, chuckng, whatever, the tire, in my opinion will still be balanced. If a tire is wearing evenly, but there is just less of it because of use, to me there is no reason to have it taken off and rebalanced. Technically, yes there is probably some very small/slight change in balance over the life of the tire, but it's not something that I worry about or would be willing to have rebalanced.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 06:23 AM   #6

Jayco Owners Club
How about rotating front to rear?
Old 05-13-2017, 08:58 AM   #7

>"How about rotating front to rear?"

As long as the trailer is er... 'balanced' (front to rear)... there won't be much difference in wear on the tires. If one tire is wearing much more than the other, look to your trailer axle alignment.

Supposed to replace trailer tires on a regular basis.
Twilightzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 09:10 AM   #8

Very few 5th wheels or TT's come with balanced tires. At least from my observations. I recently put 4 new tires on my 5er and had them balanced. From a towing standpoint I noticed zero difference. No doubt the tires and suspension should last longer with balanced tires. I don't re-balance them or rotate them. They're not like a car or truck where one set is pulling/pushing or steering. I suppose the rears may wear out a little sooner since they tend to get scrubbed in tight corners more. After putting 10,000 miles on my last two sets I didn't see much difference between the fronts or the rears as far as wear was concerned.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 12:28 PM   #9

I've never seen a significant difference in wear on trailer tires due to position, so I've never rotated trailer tires. If your concerned about rebalancing over time, find a tire shop that will put in balance beads. They automatically balance the tire in varying conditions and would keep you from having to rebalance until the tires need replaced.
beipers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 05:49 PM   #10

I do have the trailer tires balanced when purchased and installed. As for rotating front to rear I don't think it makes much difference. I do rotate front to rear each year when I inspect, hand pack bearings, clean & inspect brakes.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 05:26 AM   #11

Had Carlisle tires installed last year. I requested the weights be installed on the inside of the rim, out of sight. I don't plan on rebalancing since I don't do that with my truck. I'll rotate front to back each year as now I have wet bolts installed and it's easier to grease with the tires off. Otherwise I'd probably just keep an eye on the back tires.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:26 AM   #12

Yes. My kitchen table was screwed to the floor directly over the axles. After my first trip down the interstate three of the four screws holding it down were pulled loose. There was a good bump or two from construction, and the screws weren't in very deep, but I guessed it was most likely from tire vibration as they had never been balanced. After balancing they each had about 4-6" of weights on the rims, I forget the actual weight. Nothing has shook loose since and I have hit much worse bumps. On a side note, I never screwed the table back down and like it much better being able to move it around.
Old 05-14-2017, 05:43 PM   #13

I rotate them because the tires scrub differently relative to where they are on the axles
Balance also.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 06:10 PM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I always balance mine at least once when new. Out of balance can cause cupping and tread separation. Don't ask how I know.
Since you are not traveling in the trailer, you do not know if tires are oob.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote