Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2019, 08:13 AM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Wheel rating ?

I recently purchased a 2009 Carriage Cameo 33CKQ. It currently has E rated tires on it. I am seriously thinking of putting Goodyear G614 "G" rated tires on it. My question is, how can I find out if the wheels I have can handle that tire and pressure?
Any help is appreciated.
Ron
RB56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2019, 08:39 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Towing Planner - towing capability calculators as for tire specific loads. https://www.tirerack.com/ also Ron this may be of some help if you're looking at Goodyear tires. https://www.goodyearautoservice.com/...sics/tire-size
van-gogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 09:24 AM   #3

The tire pressure capacity of my trailer wheels are stamped on the inside of each wheel.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:31 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Sorry, what I am trying to ask is how can you tell if your metal wheels can handle the greater carrying capacity of the tires I am trying to choose.?
Old 09-15-2019, 10:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB56 View Post
Sorry, what I am trying to ask is how can you tell if your metal wheels can handle the greater carrying capacity of the tires I am trying to choose.?
Same trailer, same weight carried by wheel, you just have a tire that would carry more weight which this capacity is based on tire pressure . As was said in earlier post, it's all on the inside of the rim which is a lame place for the info.
1960C182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 05:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Most RV Trailer wheels provided as OEM will have a weight & pressure rating molded somewhere on the wheel. It's not a requirement, just something the OEM provider asks the wheel manufacturer to do. There are two methods found with wheel load and pressure specs. Some have a weight limit and will support any PSI needed for the tire to provide that load. Other wheel manufacturers will have both a weight limit and PSI limit.

The only valid answer to get when the information is not on the wheel is to ask the wheel manufacturer. According to NHTSA regulations they are supposed to provide that information on request.

Remember, valve stems also have pressure ratings.

Wheels MUST have a load rating that will support the vehicle's certified GAWRs and a pressure rating that will equal the tire's maximum recommended cold inflation PSI.
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 12:26 AM   #7

Quote:
On the back/inside of the wheel. You should see it stamped in there.
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 12:59 AM   #8

Cameo wheel rating

Quote:
I recently purchased a 2009 Carriage Cameo 33CKQ. It currently has E rated tires on it. I am seriously thinking of putting Goodyear G614 "G" rated tires on it. My question is, how can I find out if the wheels I have can handle that tire and pressure?
Any help is appreciated.
Ron
Ron, I put Goodyear G614s on my 2008 Cameo 32SB2 8 yrs ago and have bee very pleased. I had to demount a tire to verify that it was rated to 110 psi, which it was (alloy rims). Capacity is stamped inside the rim.

It would be best to know real life weights for individual tire positions and axles - I would think that the G 614s would give you plenty of capacity, but my recommendation falls into the ‘good to know’ category. I run at 100 psi based on the load tables.

Good luck with the Cameo.
Diamante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 01:34 AM   #9

I remember looking into wheel ratings a couple of years ago. What I found was that, as a general rule, wheels are rated for the highest pressure of a tire that can be mounted on it. If you have a 14" wheel, it's probably rated for a "D" rated tire, since it's extremely difficult to get a higher rating on a 14" tire. 18" wheels, on the other hand, can mount at least an "E" rated tire, possibly higher, so those wheels are rated accordingly higher.

There are some oddball wheels for specialty applications, but that's what I found to be the general rule. If you can readily find tires for the wheel, it can handle it.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 07:27 AM   #10

Attachment 260508Attachment 260508
Quote:
Any help is appreciated.
Ron

I have a 2008 Cameo with the aluminum rims and run the Sailun S637 ST235/85/R16 tires that are G rated. I have been running these tires for 1-1/2 years now and 15k miles. They have held up very well, I use 105 cold PSI and seem to have even wear across the thread.
Picture shows damage from the Hartland G tires I ran that were 3 years old prior to the Sailun tires.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cameo Tire Damage.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	260509   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire3.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	260510  

grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 05:23 AM   #11

Excel Owners Club
My wheels (rims) look like yours. I want to thank everyone for their help. I am getting ready to replace my tires so I wanted to make sure my trims could handle the extra pressure.