Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2019, 08:12 AM   #1

Where to find a 5er in SE?

We currently live in FL but are planning to live in a 5er. And plan to go to Alaska next year. Unfortunately, everything in our area is of the "light" variety? I don't want to drive to Oregon to check out 5ers. What are our options?

We would prefer lightly used.
jmartin104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2019, 08:30 AM   #2

Check for consignment lots. You never know what you will find. We got our HitchHiker on one 10 years ago and it is still going strong
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:59 AM   #3

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Are you looking for new or used. What size and max weight?
If used, there are a few quality manufacturers that you can look around for in the SE such as Carriage/Lifestyle, pre 2015 DRV, Excel, NuWa, that you may find if patient.
Otherwise, Artic Fox would be a good one to look for, however, closest dealer is in OH.
Good luck
Old 06-19-2019, 11:57 AM   #4

Add Newmar, and Alpenlite to the list. Alot of rig choice depends on tow rig.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:04 PM   #5

I am in Palm Coast Florida and I see Grand Design, Winnebago, and Vanleigh 5th wheels at La Mesa in Sanford FL. They are insulated pretty well. I looked at all these 5th wheels when La Mesa had the Daytona RV Sales store which is now closed, bummer. In St. Augustine they sell Jayco and KZ 5th wheels at Ocean Grove RV.

Florida in my mind is the mecca for RV's. I think we are lucky to have so many RV dealers.

If you want used there are a bunch of used units in Florida also.

I spent time on the west coast of Florida in the Crystal River and Homosassa Springs area. The same thing there, tons of well insulated RV's.

I looked at both Artic Fox 5th wheels at Kelly RV in Pa. and at Hammersville Ohio. (Just east of Cincinnati). I was not that impressed.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:53 PM   #6

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I am in Palm Coast Florida and I see Grand Design, Winnebago, and Vanleigh 5th wheels at La Mesa in Sanford FL. They are insulated pretty well. I looked at all these 5th wheels when La Mesa had the Daytona RV Sales store which is now closed, bummer. In St. Augustine they sell Jayco and KZ 5th wheels at Ocean Grove RV.

Florida in my mind is the mecca for RV's. I think we are lucky to have so many RV dealers.

I spent time on the west coast of Florida in the Crystal River and Homosassa Springs area. The same thing there, tons of well insulated RV's.

I looked at both Artic Fox 5th wheels at Kelly RV in Pa. and at Hammersville Ohio. (Just east of Cincinnati). I was not that impressed.
I'd buy used before buying new of any of the above mentioned brands.
A used unit made by one of the brands I mentioned (add Teton to that list although heavier) would be my choice before anything new on the market. Quality of new has gone right down drain.
If getting new, be sure to get one that offers the best customer service after the sale......you'll need it!
Old 06-19-2019, 01:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpm View Post
I'd buy used before buying new of any of the above mentioned brands.
A used unit made by one of the brands I mentioned (add Teton to that list although heavier) would be my choice before anything new on the market. Quality of new has gone right down drain.
If getting new, be sure to get one that offers the best customer service after the sale......you'll need it!
We absolutely want to go used (no more than 5-8 years old). We are concerned about customer service though. The plan is to go from FL to Alaska and then live in the RV in Alaska for a year, then make the trip to TN. We'll be making some stops in between of course just to take a moment to enjoy life a little.

We are looking at an F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab and I'm hoping to stay within the range of 30-35' 5er (although, wife wants a 90'+ with an indoor swimming pool).
Old 06-19-2019, 02:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post

Most of the stuff around us (just south of Titusville) is not good enough to FT in. We need something to live in when in Alaska and something that won't cook us when we visit FL.

We are planning a trip to La Mesa. We talked about it for a while so it's time.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:32 PM   #9

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Service really should not be an issue after the warranty period even on orphans.
Upper quality was available on Carriage Cameo up until their demise. The shortest ( I had one for 18 moths) was the 31ksls. Solid full featured rig in a short length. Many will have disc brakes, better tires and maybe even 17.5 wheels.
Next was the 32fws which was continued when Lifestyle started up. I have the larger (37') LS36fw. Solid, well built and love it. If something ever happens to it I will look for another one.
Solid shorter upper quality fivers were fairly rare and even more so now. All the better manufactures have closed and hardly anyone makes a full profile short fiver except Arctic Fox.
Good luck.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:21 PM   #10

if you want to live in alaska. 1st trade in get more truck. Or skip the 350 and go MDT. 2nd a rig for alaska for a year in winter especially your in New Horizons quality to survive the winter. Used there a few that can take that cold. Teton, Newmar stand out. they have the insulation and most have dual furnaces and dual a/c to fight off the florida heat. Alaska in anything else good luck is all i can say
Old 06-19-2019, 09:53 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmartin104 View Post
Most of the stuff around us (just south of Titusville) is not good enough to FT in. We need something to live in when in Alaska and something that won't cook us when we visit FL.

We are planning a trip to La Mesa. We talked about it for a while so it's time.
hmmmm..... we live in Titusville. There are a LOT of places to check....

Lazydays in Tampa
La Mesa, Sanford/Daytona
Allied, Wildwood
Giant Rec - Orlando
can't recall who is in Melbourne

Why not just let your fingers do the walking.... RVTRADER.COM plug in all you criteria including how far you want to search and away you go.....

Or just go to Eagles Pride at the The Great Outdoors in Titusville and ask them to find something for you. oh - you'll find a few there too.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:10 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolenut View Post
if you want to live in alaska. 1st trade in get more truck. Or skip the 350 and go MDT. 2nd a rig for alaska for a year in winter especially your in New Horizons quality to survive the winter. Used there a few that can take that cold. Teton, Newmar stand out. they have the insulation and most have dual furnaces and dual a/c to fight off the florida heat. Alaska in anything else good luck is all i can say
What's an MDT and why wouldn't an F350 be enough?
Old 06-20-2019, 08:55 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmartin104 View Post
What's an MDT and why wouldn't an F350 be enough?
a mdt is a medium duty truck. you need alot of RV to winter in alaska. A few RVs mentioned a 350 dont have near enough capacity to haul that kind of weight. A teton, newmar and some of the others new horizons for example the pin weights are super heavy. My Teton for example carries 6k on the pin. My trailer axle weight is more alone then many truck and trailers combined.

Youll find quite a few will agree. Many and i mean many new horizons are carried by Volvo Semi Tractors or International Sport Chassis. Some carried by 550 fords or 4500 kodiaks. Tetons and the Newmars as well. Cant have to much truck in this weight class of RV.

Especially where you want the RV to live. Extreme cold and Florida heat and humidity
Old 06-20-2019, 09:33 AM   #14

We also live in FL and I believe we are in a great location to shop used. We use the RV trader app, CL, and other online places. We also shop all the dealers. We have used General RV twice but only by coincidence they had what we were looking for. Both times we were able to get a fair price and very little pressure to buy extra add ons. Ocean Grove RV is a great dealer as well, a bit small so selection can be limited. The dealer in Ocala who’s name escapes me can have some unique models available as well as a sizable selection.

I refuse to shop La Mesa anymore since they will not provide service to any RV over 10 years old. They are basically telling you your purchase is worthless in 10 years-not the best way to get our money. Especially when you buy something 3 or 4 years old.

Good luck I hope you find a great unit
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote