Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2021, 01:49 AM   #1

Where to vent my A/C PLEASE READ

This is my 5th wheel. Im moving in in a few days. I plan to just install a portable ac in it for now. I want to have it in the bedroom/ bathroom area so I can close it off and have it just cool that small area. What would be the best way to vent the ac in this area? Cut into the wall, probably, but where? Any ideas would be appreciated. Ps. Please don't give me advice on this being a bad idea or something, it's what I chose is best for my set up/ situation and I would just like to know what you would do if you were going to do this. Thank you! (:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210610_055747068.NIGHT.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	299.7 KB
ID:	334027   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210620_041541220.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	205.2 KB
ID:	334028  

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210610_055759696.NIGHT.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	225.5 KB
ID:	334029  
Azsnakelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2021, 04:50 AM   #2

I would worry if the wall would be stable enough to mount a window unit. I can't really tell where the best place to mount the unit from your pictures. Have you looked into those little portable units so you wouldn't have to cut into the wall? They also make those split units (can't remember the exact name) but that is another choice that people have made for their rv's. Sorry I know you really didn't want to go there.
Old 06-29-2021, 06:03 AM   #3

I'm assuming you're talking about a free standing unit like these.

A dryer vent mounted just about anywhere will do.

Just figure out the least cumbersome spot for the unit.
Old 06-29-2021, 07:35 AM   #4

I vented mine through the floor. It was in a slide so there was only one thickness to go through. Worked great. I used typical galvanized piping and fittings. If there is a straight shot through a wall then I would do it that way. Don't let people tell you that a portable AC won't work because a single hose unit somehow draws in hot air. I never experienced that. If i were to do things again I would probably look at the mini splits.
WagonMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 07:43 AM   #5

If itís a free standing unit, the easiest solution would be to cut a piece of plywood to fit a window opening. Add a dryer vent fitting, some weather stripping and a little paint it should be fine. You could also seal it in with silicone caulk. It bonds well, but will be relatively easy to remove on a metal window frame.
NewBlackDak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 01:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogie_ View Post
I'm assuming you're talking about a free standing unit like these.

A dryer vent mounted just about anywhere will do.

Just figure out the least cumbersome spot for the unit.

This is what I was referring to as well. They have smaller ones that are under $100 but I imagine you would need 2 or 3 of those. Also mini split was what I was trying to say this morning too. Didn't have enough coffee yet.
I have a feeling she is wanting to install one of those cheaper window units.
Old 06-29-2021, 02:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PulNSerenity View Post
This is what I was referring to as well. They have smaller ones that are under $100 but I imagine you would need 2 or 3 of those. Also mini split was what I was trying to say this morning too. Didn't have enough coffee yet.
I have a feeling she is wanting to install one of those cheaper window units.
I would think a 9000 BTU free standing portable AC would do.
WagonMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 02:59 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
If there is a window in the room you can just vent through that. The A/C will come with a window kit, which might even fit your window.

Go with one of the two hose models, ultimately it will cool better. I used to (try to) cool a boat with one of the single hose models. The unit put out plenty of cold air, but the boat never really cooled. That's because the AC moves pushes a LOT of hot air out it's vent, that air had to be replaced in the boat somehow. So there was constantly hot outside air coming in to the boat from every crack it could find, this prevented the boat from really getting cool.
A two hose model uses one hose for exhaust and one hose for intake, so it's a closed system, thereby putting only cool air into the RV, without the need to pull outside air all the way through the RV.
Old 06-29-2021, 04:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlackDak View Post
If itís a free standing unit, the easiest solution would be to cut a piece of plywood to fit a window opening. Add a dryer vent fitting, some weather stripping and a little paint it should be fine. You could also seal it in with silicone caulk. It bonds well, but will be relatively easy to remove on a metal window frame.
That's what we did in our toy hauler garage. Works great
Hognuts1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 03:12 PM   #10

Maybe I'm out of touch,, do 5er's come without an roof A/C ? if money was a problem I'd look for a used roof unit and install it.

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 06:17 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifford j View Post
Maybe I'm out of touch,, do 5er's come without an roof A/C ? if money was a problem I'd look for a used roof unit and install it.

CLIFFORD

This is what I was thinking. What happened to the roof AC. Don't know what the 5er is but it is hard to imagine one without a roof AC.
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 08:30 AM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I know of a couple folks who ordered theirs without the AC because it wouldn't fit under their carport with one. Seems like a poor reason to remove one in my opinion but it was not my trailer
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 11:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddadles View Post
This is what I was thinking. What happened to the roof AC. Don't know what the 5er is but it is hard to imagine one without a roof AC.
I took it off. They're inefficient, I didn't want to use it. Wanted a vent instead.
Azsnakelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 06:59 AM   #14

I'd go with a window replacement if I was using a portable window mount A/C. If you are looking at one of the portables on the floor with the hose vent, I'd look at a two hose unit and go thru the wall with a hole saw. If I was in Tucson and the trailer was a permanent set up, I'd do a mini-split with the outside unit on the ground and the inside unit high on the wall or as a ceiling mount.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent