Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2020, 11:44 AM   #15

Google the Blue Ox Super Ride hitch and check it out. It comes apart in pieces for easy install and removal. It articulates forward and rearward for your short bed. Plus, it has rubber air springs for a softer ride. Can be used with industry standard rails or a gooseneck ball.

My hitch weighs 300#. Fortunately, I store my trailer on my property. When I am through for the season, I use the trailer's landing gear to lift the hitch out of the rails, and pull the truck away. I then lower the hitch onto a Harbor Freight 500# hydraulic table, remove it from the kingpin and roll it into the garage for the winter. Easy peasy. Don't lift anything.

On the install end in the Spring, I roll the hitch out, use the hydraulic table to jack it up and reinstall on the kingpin. It is a pain to align the rail slots and the legs on the hitch as you have to jockey the truck around. My wife always helps, wouldn't want to do it four times a year. Maybe an in bed camera would help. Another member suggested lowering the hitch onto the rails and placing it into the slots with a pry bar. Haven't tried that yet.

I wouldn't let hitch install issues keep you from enjoying a fifth wheel. Since you are starting from scratch, I would recommend an air or cushioned style hitch over a solid joint hitch. You will be happy you did in the long run.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2020, 11:53 AM   #16

Not a funny story but I was younger and took out my 5th wheel hitch myself I also put it in myself. 6 years later I needed help.

Since I bought / sold my 5th wheel there has been many attempts to use a gooseneck ball. I am not one with all the new ball mounts but I do know that not every 5th wheel can be towed with a ball because it puts more stress on 5th wheel frame. I do not know which 5th wheels can use the gooseneck ball.

I would not try to use the gooseneck ball on a heavy 5th wheel and probably not on mid sized 5th wheel either. I think the lighter the 5th wheel the better for use with a gooseneck ball.

There are people that swear by the gooseneck ball but not sure where, what and how they are towing. If you look at a gooseneck trailer they have re-inforcement built into the hitch area.

I will be watching are reading this thread to learn more about a various set-ups.

Good luck.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 01:00 PM   #17

I've had three hitches - Andersen, Reese Goosebox, and Trailer Saver.

Under 20k pounds on the fiver - Reese is great. Great ride, clean bed, easy hookup, and no dropping your fiver.

Over 20k pounds - Trailer Saver. Great ride, very stout. Takes two people to move. Can leave on the pinbox and lift out of truck, have not tried yet.
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 01:33 PM   #18
JDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Not a funny story but I was younger and took out my 5th wheel hitch myself I also put it in myself. 6 years later I needed help.

Since I bought / sold my 5th wheel there has been many attempts to use a gooseneck ball. I am not one with all the new ball mounts but I do know that not every 5th wheel can be towed with a ball because it puts more stress on 5th wheel frame. I do not know which 5th wheels can use the gooseneck ball.

I would not try to use the gooseneck ball on a heavy 5th wheel and probably not on mid sized 5th wheel either. I think the lighter the 5th wheel the better for use with a gooseneck ball.

There are people that swear by the gooseneck ball but not sure where, what and how they are towing. If you look at a gooseneck trailer they have re-inforcement built into the hitch area.

I will be watching are reading this thread to learn more about a various set-ups.

Good luck.
Kind of a repeat from my earlier comments, sorry, but I'm sure it is common knowledge by now that Lippert approves the use of the Reese Goose Box on their frames. I know there is some Lippert pin box numbers which it is made to fit. My understanding is this type of hitch is much more gentle on the frame than a goose neck conversion. Gen-Y also makes a goose neck hitch that replaces the pin similar to the Goose Box but uses a torsion system for the cushioned ride. It was being tested by New Horizons as a possible option for their fifth wheels, which are super heavy. That was a couple of weeks ago and I've been watching for an update but haven't seen anything.

As I said earlier I'm going with a 20K Goose Box for mine. It weighs 16,300 total loaded with about 3100 hitch weight. I don't have a Lippert frame but I would think mine is much stronger with it being house built by Excel. It is a fully boxed frame. It has a Fabex pin box which Reese lists as compatible. Warranty considerations is certainly not an issue as Excel went bye-bye 5 years ago.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 05:38 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT View Post
Kind of a repeat from my earlier comments, sorry, but I'm sure it is common knowledge by now that Lippert approves the use of the Reese Goose Box on their frames. I know there is some Lippert pin box numbers which it is made to fit. My understanding is this type of hitch is much more gentle on the frame than a goose neck conversion. Gen-Y also makes a goose neck hitch that replaces the pin similar to the Goose Box but uses a torsion system for the cushioned ride. It was being tested by New Horizons as a possible option for their fifth wheels, which are super heavy. That was a couple of weeks ago and I've been watching for an update but haven't seen anything.
I talked to New Horizons and they stated the GenY hitches they got for testing weren't compatible with the mounting flanges, so they have not used them.
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 08:27 PM   #20
JDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknavy View Post
I talked to New Horizons and they stated the GenY hitches they got for testing weren't compatible with the mounting flanges, so they have not used them.
Too bad. I was interested in how they did. Maybe they can get the hole pattern to match. The other issue could be the width. The Gen-Y and the Goose Box are 12" wide. My Fabex pin box is 12 1/2" wide. Fortunately Reese makes a quarter inch spacing plate with matching predrilled holes. I already have a set for my new Goose Box.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 04:41 AM   #21

I have the BW Companion 20K model and love it. It comes apart into two pieces, each weighing about 70 or 75 pounds. I'm 70 years old and can handle it without too much effort.
RJShiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 09:26 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh1957 View Post
it is more concern of the king pin arm contacting the side of the truck if the 5th wheel is on unleveled ground, If it twisted one way while truck is still flat it would be close.
This is a big concern for me. These trucks keep getting taller and taller out of the factory making hitches closer to the side. I did back up on unlevel ground a couple times, have contacted the bed cover rails. When I raise the hitch to a level it won't contact, my camper looks like a rocket trying to take off... LOL Still, I like my Andersen. I do think my next hitch when I get my next camper is going to be a Reese Goosebox.
FrozenInTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 10:28 PM   #23

I have the Curt A20 and it weighs right at 200lbs. I mounted the Harbor Freight Pickup Bed Crane to load and unload the hitch. Also works great for loading my portable generator. Would recommend the bed crane of you have to load and unload heavy items by yourself.
pkt219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 04:48 AM   #24

I have. 6'5" bed 2500 RAM truck. I went with the pullrite hit h with 7nder bed rails and the the pin system. I can remove all from my bed and have a empty truck bed. I use a chain fall to lift it out of my truck. It 8s heavy.

I like the auto slider for my 6'5" bed. It has been useful.

Had I found the Demco Hijacker Autoslide I would have bought that one. My PullRite requires capture plates and the Demco doesn't.
Old 01-31-2020, 05:27 PM   #25

KZ RV Club
fifth wheel hitch

I have a new F350 with the ford pucks system.
I decided on a B&W Companion that mounts in the pucks.
Ours is the 18k model. 2 pieces and it is reasonably easy to get in and out.
Very smooth operation, and installation is four latches and 2 hitch pins.
We have a deck lid cover, so we have left it in 90% of the time.
Retail is about $900-1100. I found mine on Facebook marketplace, with the goose neck ball and tie down pucks for $500.

I saw many for sale, used in our area, and dumb lucked into a helluva deal.
Midlotexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 05:39 PM   #26

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I use a Pullrite mounted in a long bed Superduty. Never have had to remove it since it's not a work truck. It does a fine job of hauling the 13K trailer/

It comes apart in two pieces that can be handled with two men and a small boy.

The puck mount system was too expensive for us at the time we ordered the truck from Ford, so we have the two rails.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 06:58 AM   #27

Seems like it's doable for me and there are a number of options for hitches that could do what I'm looking for. Thanks for all the suggestions!
Whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 08:27 AM   #28

I now use a B&W 18K Patriot mounted on the Curt X-rail in my turnover gooseball. I had a Reese ( poor quality, sloppy ) and TWO models of Andersens which both crapped out on me so never another.
I would like a Goosebox but it won't fit my pinbox mount. IF I ever go to another hitch will be the Trailsaver.
1960C182 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel