Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2015, 06:19 PM   #99

Okay I'm also looking and learning, ya we want bigger also, so what's your thought's on a tow, 4x4 or not? Does a 4x4 have a larger tow rating? And is there any other advantage to a 4x4 for towing?
I really don't need a 4x4 I figured a RWD would get better gas mil.
Pretty much have decided on a Chevy Silverado crew cab diesel, Lb, auto,
Witj that said I'm looking at an older one cause of the emission's, any advice?
04 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2015, 05:31 AM   #100

Nor'easters Club
4x4 is one of those things that your better off looking at it then for it. It has been needed getting out of a few camp sites. Now if you only go to places that are all paved and won't be using the truck in the winter weather, snow and ice, then maybe you don't need 4wd. But if there's a chance that you will be then go with the 4wd.
Be mindful of what you are buying. You don't want to be buying someone else's junk. As for fuel economy, if you add weight your fuel economy goes down. 4wd adds weight. If you have moving parts when not in use, your fuel economy goes down. Just food for thought.
Good luck in your decision making.

Mookie
mookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 06:56 PM   #101

Evergreen Owners Club
For us the truck came first. Today in fact! Traded in the 2014 F-250 for a 2016 F-350 dually. Everyone convinced me to upgrade so it is a done deal. BD3 hitch is to arrive Wednesday this next week so the trailer is coming last but not for long either! Couple more weeks and if the one we go to look at is pristine then we will have the whole shebang!
schrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 09:45 AM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrod View Post
For us the truck came first. Today in fact! Traded in the 2014 F-250 for a 2016 F-350 dually. Everyone convinced me to upgrade so it is a done deal. BD3 hitch is to arrive Wednesday this next week so the trailer is coming last but not for long either! Couple more weeks and if the one we go to look at is pristine then we will have the whole shebang!
You will be pleased schrod. I didn't really feel we needed the dually support, but after buying our new RV, felt we had to have it for the pin weight. We moved from the 3500 SRW to the DRW and I'm simply more comfortable pulling down the road with that kind of support, and knowing that I have the base to haul that kind of weight. You get used to parking in areas that are a bit closer than when you had a SRW. For the most part, I simply head for the back-40 area of a parking lot, generally where no one else wants to part.

As for the 4X4 option, yes, I'm sure we could get a mile or 2 better MPG, but the 4X4 makes me pretty comfortable in all areas that I might need to pull through.
Old 10-16-2015, 01:35 PM   #103

The newer RAM's have front axle disconnect so the difference between 2 and 4wd is not much anymore.
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 02:30 PM   #104

So does ford
doorfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 07:20 AM   #105

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gebills View Post
You will be pleased schrod. I didn't really feel we needed the dually support, but after buying our new RV, felt we had to have it for the pin weight. We moved from the 3500 SRW to the DRW and I'm simply more comfortable pulling down the road with that kind of support, and knowing that I have the base to haul that kind of weight. You get used to parking in areas that are a bit closer than when you had a SRW. For the most part, I simply head for the back-40 area of a parking lot, generally where no one else wants to part.

As for the 4X4 option, yes, I'm sure we could get a mile or 2 better MPG, but the 4X4 makes me pretty comfortable in all areas that I might need to pull through.
Yes, I agree with you 100%. I am very sure the SRW F-250 could have handled the new trailer but I know I am going to feel much more comfortable behind the wheel of the DRW F-350. I am pretty sure I am giving up a little on fuel economy when running empty. However, I will gain fuel economy when towing since it has the 3.73 rearend.

As to parking in the back 40, I always do that now. The better half complains sometimes and I just tell her the walk will do us good. If it is bad weather then I always drop her off and pick her up at the door. I suffer the weather to keep the truck dent free.
Old 10-18-2015, 08:25 AM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorfx View Post
So does ford
Locking hubs or automatic? RAM is automatic.
Old 10-18-2015, 04:29 PM   #107

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
Locking hubs or automatic? RAM is automatic.
Automatic. Has been for years...........
Old 10-18-2015, 09:34 PM   #108

WHICH COME's FIRST-5TH OR TRUCK

Fiat/Ram is always copying Ford lol
doorfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:37 AM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrod View Post
Automatic. Has been for years...........
The 13's and newer have front axle disconnect. The front before that was dragging some.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:52 AM   #110

Trailer or truck

Just reading this forum and have some comments
1. As stated torque = towing or load moving ability Hp is only Some of this.
2. Many years as otr and TT puller learned that the Truck matters a lot.

You cannot beat a DRW for towing!

Stability,load,braking, and overall comfort can not be overlooked.

Here is where this gets strange the bigger(more powerful) the engine the better the MPG and longevity. Gearing is important but the working load is very important a TV with a lower power engine works Much harder to do the same work than a"bigger engine" does this is known by both performance and mileage nuts.
old knut
OLD Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:57 AM   #111

Going to be very happy with your BD3 hitch, mine is 4 years old and I still marvel at the trailer moving up and down in the rear view mirror as we go down the road, it provides great cushioning for the FW and a great ride for us.
Westwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 05:22 AM   #112

Truck was first for us too... traded off my beloved 05 Dodge Ram 2500 for a 2014 Ram 3500 dually. I have only had the truck a few weeks but I really like it. Favorite part of the upgrade is the 6 speed over the old 4 speed auto, amazing exhaust brake, and factory warranty. Motor is very quiet (to quiet) and strong. Can't wait to pull with it.

It will be dragging out TT until probably next winter when we spring for the Coachmen Chapparal 360ibl 5er the truck was specifically bought for.
chertz is offline   Reply With Quote