Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2020, 07:13 PM   #1

Which Hitch for Riverstone 5'er?

I have a Riverstone 37REL coming in a few weeks. I've never had a 5'er and don't know much if anything about fifth-wheel hitches. It comes with a 21k Trail Air air ride Pin Box. I also have a 2020 GMC DRW with factory fifth-wheel hitch prep coming, so long bed.

Which hitches should I be looking at?

(Assume I don't know much if anything about fifth-wheel hitches and want to use my truck be bed when I'm not hooked up.)

(Assume budget is flexible. I don't want to spend frivolously but will pay what I need to for the right set up).
jjackrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2020, 07:47 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackrash View Post
I have a Riverstone 37REL coming in a few weeks. I've never had a 5'er and don't know much if anything about fifth-wheel hitches. It comes with a 21k Trail Air air ride Pin Box. I also have a 2020 GMC DRW with factory fifth-wheel hitch prep coming, so long bed.

(Assume I don't know much if anything about fifth-wheel hitches and want to use my truck be bed when I'm not hooked up.)

(Assume budget is flexible. I don't want to spend frivolously but will pay what I need to for the right set up).

We will getting a 39FK at the end of the year and I plan to use a Trailer Saver TS3
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 08:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post
We will getting a 39FK at the end of the year and I plan to use a Trailer Saver TS3
Those look heavy. I have a mini-ex and a skid/track loader with forks, but I hate risking beating up a new truck with heavy equipment. But that hitch does look like its probably a pretty slick set up going down the road.
Old 02-14-2020, 08:36 PM   #4

KZ RV Club
Quote:

I always recommend the B&W Companion. They make an OEM puck mount available. Great product backed by a great company. Breaks down into 2 ~75 lb pieces.

Lyle
Old 02-15-2020, 06:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Those look heavy. I have a mini-ex and a skid/track loader with forks, but I hate risking beating up a new truck with heavy equipment. But that hitch does look like its probably a pretty slick set up going down the road.
Many people leave it hanging on the 5ers pin box if they need to remove it.
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 06:45 AM   #6

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Trailer Saver for sure. At least the BD5. I'm not a fan of the Trail Air pin box. See if they will change it out to a Mor Ryde. The Mor Ryde and Trailer Saver will be an excellent set-up. Whatever brand hitch you get be sure its some sort of energy adsorbing.
Beautiful truck and trailer combo. Enjoy!
Old 02-15-2020, 07:03 AM   #7

You already have an air ride pin box so my vote is for the Puck style B&W companion. That is the same same setup we have and I love it.
2017 Ram 3500 DRW Aisin 4:10 gears
2010 Starcraft Homestead 5th wheel
2018 Polaris General
ike66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 07:09 AM   #8

Age old question. Lots of monies no object options. I towed with a Hyjacker dual pivot head for 13 years and it was just fine. You main concern should be dual pivot head, and sufficient hitch for the GVWR. Everything else is simply marketing hype and personal preference.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:34 AM   #9

The best hitch regarding ride quality and protection of your nice new gear would be a Trailer Saver TS3. It doesn't come with mounting options for your puck system so you would need a Demco adapter. Also, an air ride hitch would be redundant with your pin box. In your case, I would go with the B&W companion made to fit your factory pucks. Be aware the 2020 hitch puck specifications are different than 2019 so make sure you get the right model. Enjoy that new trailer and truck.

My guess is, people who think Trailer Saver hitches are marketing hype probably haven't towed with one.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
You main concern should be dual pivot head, and sufficient hitch for the GVWR.
I am going to look into this, but if you can, what is the advantage of a "dual pivot head" and what is the alternative? Thanks so much,

I've got a lot to learn, thanks for all the opinions so far. Feel free to keep them coming.
Old 02-15-2020, 02:17 PM   #11

You want the head to pivot. As you go over curbs, pull into gas stations, and camp grounds your tow vehicle and the camp will move into different angles from each other. If the head can not pivot with the angle of the camper you will add undesired stress to camper frame.
Old 02-15-2020, 11:51 PM   #12

The TS3 looks pretty slick, but the B&W looks a lot more convenient. Are we talking huge difference in ride quality, slightly better, or just tough to quantify? Its hard to make decisions on things like this without really experiencing the difference.
Old 02-16-2020, 06:54 AM   #13

As was already stated here you really do not want both the hitch and pin box with air bags, think about bouncing 2 basketballs together, they fight each other. I use this hitch but it is really not made for use in a pick up. I like the idea of the Mor Ryde with the TS3

https://ethitch.com/
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 10:06 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Been running a Trailer Saver TS3 for 6 years now with out F350 DRW and 40' HitchHiker Champagne. Great hitch, just not very light weight.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote