Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2020, 09:50 AM   #57

I have a 2020 f350 with the 7.3 gas and 4.30 gears. Have only traveled about 1200 miles from MA to TN. Average is about 7.8 to 8 mpg. Maybe gas mileage will increase after I get some mileage on the truck. I was hoping to get 7mpg and am more than happy with what I am currently geting. I am grossing out at 22,000 lbs. No power problems at all. I can go up any hills at 65 if I wish. Just tapping the brakes going downhill downshifts the transmission. It holds back just as good as my 2011 diesel did. I do purposely take my foot out of it going uphill to save on gas. At 5000 rmps it will increase speed if I wish to. Given the price difference between a gas truck vs a diesel the gas is cheaper all around. $8000 difference will buy a lot of gas. My old 6.7 diesel averaged 10 to 10.5 mpg towing. With diesel going between 40 and 50 cents higher than gas the cost for fuel is about the same. Maintenance costs are a lot cheaper than a diesel. I can also use the truck as a daily driver and not worry about messing up the emission system. I have never seen a gas engine shut down once the check engine light comes on. The diesel shut me down twice because of sensor problems.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2020, 09:54 AM   #58

( im just putting a different color plate at the dinner table, not trying to upset anyone )
Knowing what I know now, about owning my 2015 2,500 dodge ram 6.7 diesel, I would have went with a gasser. My tow rate is 17,600, my payload was 2,500, and is now 3,000.
I tow a 8.000lbs TT, I got the truck to have if or when I upgrade to a bigger camper. That said, I should have did more research on how the modern emissions stuff works on the new diesels. Its not just the cost of the motor, its a emissions freak show on diesels compared to gassers. 90,000 on mine and the brakes look as new. I live in a state without inspections and emissions testing, so my emissions stuff ( unofficially ) fell off. In my world, towing from top of country in fall to bottom for winter then back for summer. Then using it as a golf cart to go hear and there on short trips the rest of the time, my emissions stuff would be plugged solid.
So, if had to or if need to, do it again, ill go 1 ton gasser, and eat the poor mpg's.
That said, I LOVE it, currant diesel, as it is now, a simple 2 door 4+4 sports car, that gets great mpg's for something that is 7,000lbs.
travelorer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 10:25 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
32 gal tank
8.5 mpg average

32x8.5=272 miles

No
And that 272 is only if you run the tank dry. 250 if you like to live dangerously, 200 if you don't like to hitchhike for gas.
FiddleMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 07:03 PM   #60

Gas truck

Hi everyone, newbie here. Last May we bought a used 2019 Grand Design, Reflection 150, 29.5. The Reflection 150 refers to a half ton towable trailer. With no water in it’s tanks it weighs 8400 lbs. I tow it with a 2014 ram 1500 with a tow package and a 3.92 gears. The ram has 395 hp with 410 fpt and a 8 speed transmission. With the truck in tow mode it turns into a 6 speed. The truck will pull 10,050 pounds and it does it well. We are in the Phoenix area now and pulled it from Toronto in the first of January. I pull it down the road at 60 mph and get about 9 mpg and sometimes get about 12 mpg if the road is level and have the wind behind me. It will pull up the hills at 60 mph if I let it with no problem but it is revving about 4300 rpm. I let it rev about 3000 going up hills with no problems. Great truck and trailer combo, no blowing around in the wind and it feels like one, just to answer the question that was asked, thank you!!
Chuck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 08:39 PM   #61

Chuck2 - were/are you a profession truck driver ? I ask because that is an awefull lot of weight for any 150/1500 series truck.

Are you a camping Newbie or a towing Newbie or both?
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 11:00 PM   #62

Like I said, we bought it last May and used it most of the summer and then took it to Arizona this January. No I’m not a truck driver, but the trailer is ultra light. It is close to being under 1600 pounds the max towing rate for my 1/2 ton truck. It pulls it easily and is a fantastic trailer with lots of room.
Chuck2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, tow, towing