Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2019, 11:20 AM   #15

We have a fiver and there were two, maybe three main reasons we did not want a onboard generator, even though our Montana was prepped for one. I did not want the added pin weight, did not want to use up the forward cargo space, I put solar on the roof and I already had a remote start 3400 watt generator that rides in front of the fiver hitch in the bed of the F350. I wanted the additional forward cargo space for batteries, etc.
bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2019, 11:28 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
If you never boondock, you wouldn't need a generator too often. It is an absolute must for boondocking. If you have ever driven a class A in 90 degree weather, you would soon understand the need for a generator. The dash air does little to cool the entire coach.
Used to been dock almoet exclusively. Carried a 3000 watt generator and it got used rarely. Instead I had 250W solar and 4 golf cart batteries. We also ow ed a MH once on a time. Ordered it sans dash air for exacrly that reason. On that we did use the generator and roof air all the time while driving.
Old 11-29-2019, 11:53 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Used to been dock almoet exclusively. Carried a 3000 watt generator and it got used rarely. Instead I had 250W solar and 4 golf cart batteries. We also ow ed a MH once on a time. Ordered it sans dash air for exacrly that reason. On that we did use the generator and roof air all the time while driving.
I guess you never go anywhere that requires air conditioning. That is the main problem if you don't have a genny.The previous post stated that they saw very little reason to have a generator, even in a class A. As stated, with no generator you would get plenty hot in a hurry. I use my generator all the time. To each their own. I cant see how solar panels are going to eliminate the need for air conditioning while driving. Maybe some people have enough batteries to run their air conditioning. I know I don't. The original question was why so few fifth wheels have generators. I know I found the same thing. Very few to chose from if you are looking for a used trailer. I guess if you order a new one, you can get what you want.
Old 11-29-2019, 04:13 PM   #18

I have a 6500w onan in my fiver. I can get 7 hrs on 40 lb bottle
If you need to worry about adding 300lbs to the pin you need more truck
Old 11-29-2019, 06:26 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolenut View Post
most Class A the gennie starts when the diesel starts. sometimes before even disconnectimg shore power.i run my generator even though mounted in truck bed. my 5ver i keep the air conditioners on in transit. same as a MH does. Easy to do and rig is cool at arrival.
Are you saying that just because the engine starts in a Class A the gen starts? Never heard of that, always had a separate switch to start the gen.
HDrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 06:53 PM   #20

No i said if you hear the diesel enfine crank chances are the genny starts just before or just after.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 08:43 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolenut View Post
No i said if you hear the diesel enfine crank chances are the genny starts just before or just after.
Gotcha, my mistake.
HDrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 08:58 PM   #22

KZ RV Club
If you're worried about pin weight, add a cargo rack and a "gen box" on the back end. Room for the gen, battery and fuel.

Lyle
Old 11-29-2019, 09:00 PM   #23

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have both a 5th and MH. We boondock in the 5th and use the MH differently. I have a portable gas generator in the truck bed and run the regular power cable to the genset when needed. Typically the genset is only used to run the microwave a few minutes a day. Lst summer the genet ran for 20.4 hours in 5 months. Unless we were staying someplace for extended time the genset just remained strapped down inthe truck. Non-issue about moving it. Ours is a Champion with a remote start, very reliable and simple for the DW.

I considered a propane genset or dual fuel and decided against it. They suck lots of propane and produce a fraction of the rated power. At high elevations 7,000 to 10,000 ft. a genset losses about 3% of the rated power per 1,000 ft elevation. So at 10,000 its already down 30% add to that the propane loss and I'd need a much larger genset to consume even more fuel. Not everyone operates at these elevations and maybe in places were propane is easily found, not so in many areas I've seen.

Everything about RVing is a series of trade-offs. Choose what even makes you happy.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 08:02 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKnox View Post
If you're worried about pin weight, add a cargo rack and a "gen box" on the back end. Room for the gen, battery and fuel.
Lyle

This is exactly what friends of ours did. They have a 2016 Montana, they built a cargo tray for the rear that is supported by two 2" receiver type slide in's. They mount their Honda 6500 along with spare gas cans, and other stuff. He made a short pig tail power cord that goes from the generator to the plug in on the fiver. Makes it easy to run the genny while running down the road, or when stopped. The 6.5kw generator easily runs everything on their fifth wheel.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 09:34 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
I never understood that either. I am considering switching from a DP to a one ton truck and fifth wheel. I don't want to have to drag a portable generator around with me. An on board generator is a must in my opinion. As stated, I came to the conclusion that I would have to buy a toy hauler to get a generator. Having to lift a generator on and off the truck would be a real pain. As you said, if you want the dogs to have air conditioning while you are away, you have no choice but to leave the generator behind. This opens you up to the possibility of theft as well. Also you have to carry jerry cans of fuel. After two class As with the onboard fuel tank and generator, I cant see me going back to slugging around a genny. I went through that with the two travel trailers I had years ago.

You don’t need to get a toy hauler . Just get a gen prepped trailer . The remote start and the transfer switch are already wired in. I have a 5500 Onan in mine runs on propane and works well . Norwall power has the best prices . On line free shipping . Was about a grand less then the dealer wanted . Then have in installed .
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 10:27 AM   #26

Okay, so what do you do if you use a portable generator to combat it walking away?
JSR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 10:34 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR1 View Post
Okay, so what do you do if you use a portable generator to combat it walking away?
Chain it to the RV....

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 01:45 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR1 View Post

I keep my 3400 watt jenny secure as I can by 1) using a heavy duty padlocked cable and 2) keeping it out of sight in the bed of my 350.
bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel, generator, generators