Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2019, 03:00 PM   #57

All Iíve seen (wanted to look at) if they didnít have a generator already installed they were preped so you could put in the generator of your choice. For me itís a must have just for backup power. Boondocking is my personal preference. Batteries/inverter & solar are my first source of power. Some people want/need the space in the cargo area for a larger bank of batteries (generator compartment). It all based on your wants and needs. Some people just donít want the type of generator provided by the manufacturer too. Iíd suggest you use the ďwhat! No generator?Ē As part of your price negotiations.
Safe Travels ~ Best Wishes
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2019, 03:36 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane wood View Post
Thanks
I've been looking into putting one on my 6500 onan
I posted a bunch of information under the Riverstone forum if your interested.
Boostable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 03:43 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostable View Post
I posted a bunch of information under the Riverstone forum if your interested.
Thanks
Old 12-06-2019, 09:44 PM   #60

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudge View Post
All Iíve seen (wanted to look at) if they didnít have a generator already installed they were preped so you could put in the generator of your choice. For me itís a must have just for backup power. Boondocking is my personal preference. Batteries/inverter & solar are my first source of power. Some people want/need the space in the cargo area for a larger bank of batteries (generator compartment). It all based on your wants and needs. Some people just donít want the type of generator provided by the manufacturer too. Iíd suggest you use the ďwhat! No generator?Ē As part of your price negotiations.
Safe Travels ~ Best Wishes
If all you need is to charge the batteries, just get a 2k portable gen for use as needed.

Lyle
Old 12-07-2019, 12:58 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarebear.nm View Post
You were told a pile of BS. Many MHs run a genset while driving or in CG with car/truck parked nearby.
TH means Toyhauler, not a Motor Home.
Your statement is correct, and I'll stand by mine.
Crazy Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 05:44 AM   #62

if you live in or near tornado alley or southern plains. you find many have generators. power outages here are common very common in spring. common in winter with all the ice. not having one is less weight etc. Until the powers out 36 hours its 85 degrees and your sweating your tail off. batterys dieing refrig is thawing and you go town and there sold out.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 07:38 PM   #63

It is my opinion that "most" 5th wheel owners only travel within 75 miles to camp. For a short trip, a generator is not absolutely necessary.
Bruce Deville
BruceDeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 08:11 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceDeville View Post
It is my opinion that "most" 5th wheel owners only travel within 75 miles to camp. For a short trip, a generator is not absolutely necessary.
Bruce Deville
Wow. Iíve pulled 5ers over a decade. On the road 6-7 months a year. Shortest trip has been 360 miles. It is used as a stop over heading south or west. Not even new 5er maiden voyages are less than 700 miles.
Captn John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 07:16 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn John View Post
Wow. I’ve pulled 5ers over a decade. On the road 6-7 months a year. Shortest trip has been 360 miles. It is used as a stop over heading south or west. Not even new 5er maiden voyages are less than 700 miles.

There are exceptions to every RV use, but generally speaking BruceDeville is correct.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:48 AM   #66

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceDeville View Post
Bruce Deville

Normal summer trip is 8-10,000 mile loop, SW to NW, to Midwest, to TX, OK and home. Winter is short trip, NM, AZ, Ca back to NM.

Maybe most "weekenders" are 75 miles, way different retired.
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:15 AM   #67

Most DPs have few miles, same with gassers. My last TV was 2 years and 10 months old when traded. How many MHs have 147k miles at that age? Even adding toad miles while away? Working folks may stay close to home but not so the retired I know. Maybe more 5er owners are working still.
Captn John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 03:52 AM   #68

Some of us 5ver owners are still willing and able to ride our motorcycles and tent camp half the time. Some of us also have a smaller camper, of some sort, to facilitate camping places where a 5ver will not fit.
HDGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 12:44 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR1 View Post
Looking for our first fifth wheel. We are going to travel with a dog and want to be able to leave him in the fifth wheel while stopped in between campsites while eating, fishing, etc. but want him to be safe and comfortable. I see very few fifth wheels with generators. Why is this?
For the same reason there are dozen's of answers on this thread - people make assumptions.

The key people in your case are the manufacturers and dealers. And they have statistics that say in your area a fiver that comes with the genny installed will take longer to sell than one that does not have the genny.

I sought out a unit that was genny-prepped. And so far that firebox holds our Honda EU2000i, a gas can, our 1lb propane cannisters, and other fire-related items. As our camping style changes we will have the option of adding an Onan to the pre-wired system.

Best regards,
Chris
BubbaChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 04:43 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Have had frienda that had generators in their fifth whwwls. The only time they used it was when they depleted the batteries after a weekend of dry camping. Of course they had to jump start the generator to charge the battery enough to bring the slides in. Long tedious process.
Fifth whwwl generatora, being propane often times have a third propane tank. 7 gallons of propane will only last a few houra then you need to go find a place to refil it. 500 pounds of added weight on the pin? Another big downer. To be honest I see very little use for an on boars generator even in a motor home. Look at most any used MH. See the ODO milage, year and compare that to generator run hours.
When looking to buy a used 5er, I found my 2005 Hitchhiker with a factory installed Onan 3600 propane gen, the propane consumption on full load is .7 gal/hr, and with dbl 7 gal tanks it has a lot more than a "few hours". Solar generally keeps the batteries in good shape when I dry camp but the gen comes in handy to top them off and also run the ac in the afternoon to cool down the interior. It was this feature that sold me on my purchase.
Seamus
McShank is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel, generator, generators