Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2005, 11:35 AM   #1
RWH

I have an '05 Sierra, gas 6.0, 4X4, crewcab, Sb. Will new shocks (Ranchos, Bilstein) help remove the up and down motion I get when crossing uneven pavement or bridges? I use Reese W/D and sway control. My trailer is 30'w/ with 820lbs hitch weight and approx 6,900 loaded weight. We travel well within the trucks weight rating. The trucks rides great when not towing and the up /down motion is not a safety or control issue but I would like to improve the ride while we travel.
RWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2005, 11:35 AM   #2
RWH

I have an '05 Sierra, gas 6.0, 4X4, crewcab, Sb. Will new shocks (Ranchos, Bilstein) help remove the up and down motion I get when crossing uneven pavement or bridges? I use Reese W/D and sway control. My trailer is 30'w/ with 820lbs hitch weight and approx 6,900 loaded weight. We travel well within the trucks weight rating. The trucks rides great when not towing and the up /down motion is not a safety or control issue but I would like to improve the ride while we travel.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:17 AM   #3

I have found the greatest help I got in towing came from adding shocks to the trailer.
Jim

SPELL CHECK By IeSpell; Its free and it works.
JimmyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 05:38 PM   #4

I just installed a set of Rancho RX9000 shocks and they helped during trailering quite a bit. They are adjustable. Not up and down but ride quality. At #1 they act just like a Rancho rx5000= Normal ride. But while I am towing I just reach over to the bottom of the shock, turn the knob and change to #9. At number #9 it stiffins the ride which happens on ruff terain and takes some of the lean going around turns. There are other settings for situations inbetween.You might want to give them a look.

Black 1997 F250 H/D 4X4
markclement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 04:26 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
When we bought our current truck, it was almost unusable towing our 5th wheel. The rear shocks were far too soft for towing, resulting in a constant bobbing up and down over concrete expansion joints that had everyone in the truck carsick within 30 minutes.

I changed the truck's shocks over to the old 5-position Rancho 9000's. Running empty, settings of 3 front/2 rear made the truck ride much better than stock - softer, but still with adequate rebound control. When towing, settings of 4 front/5 rear snug everything down tightly - no bouncing. In our case, these shocks made the difference between miserable and pleasurable ride quality when towing.

YMMV.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 05:17 PM   #6
RWH

Thanks for the info, I think I'll change-out the shocks before next season.
Old 11-19-2005, 06:20 PM   #7

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I changed the shocks on my 2500 HD Chevy with Bilstein and it is a lot better, but on bad roads it still gets bad in the cab. I got shocks on the trailer also. I was wondering if a air hitch would be better??
Tom
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 04:24 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Check your W/D hitch for proper setup and maybe add some water to the potable water tank or even remove some to help with ride. Depending on where it is located it will help the overeall load. You may also need to change the location or how much stuff you store in certain places. Shift some of the weight for and aft in the trailer and see what happens. It sounds as though yo are neutral fore and aft and need some weight up front.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:16 PM   #9
6bt

Super Duty Air Lifts and Bilsteins are an excellent combination.
6bt is offline   Reply With Quote