Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2018, 11:29 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hygge View Post
Hadn’t looked at the Riverstone before. It has some nice floor plans, looks pretty good. One thing I didn’t like was how they calculated CCC. Most manufacturers list ccc with full fresh water, Riverstone doesn’t. So if you are boondocking and have 80 or 90 gallons you’re looking at around 750# or so, subtracting a significant amount from available CCC. Those who have the Riverstone, have you run into trouble going over weight limits?
Even though RS doesn't include water in the advertised CCC, the advertised weights are identical with the weigh sticker on the door with all options installed. Many others list the CCC before options. I admit especially the 38 RE could benefit from having a few more pounds available, but it's a trade of for having a mini fridge in the bedroom closet and a wine fridge, dishwasher, double sinks and washer/dryer . We are full-timers and still have 1,000lbs to spare on the axles but are 400lbs-500lbs under GVWR, moving the spare and the heavy tools made a big difference for us. Tools and supplies eat weight, stuff eats space. Btw.: We absolutely love our RiverStone and as it stands now would replace with another RS in a heartbeat.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2018, 11:48 AM   #16

This is a 38RE listed at Couch’s

https://www.couchsrvnation.com/fores...legacy/38re163

It has a CCC listed on the sticker of under 90kg- that’s about 200 pounds in a toy hauler? Is this correct?
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 12:14 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhooker View Post
This is a 38RE listed at Couch’s

https://www.couchsrvnation.com/fores...legacy/38re163

It has a CCC listed on the sticker of under 90kg- that’s about 200 pounds in a toy hauler? Is this correct?

The Legacy 38RE is not a toyhauler, you can find more information here:

Riverstone Legacy Fifth Wheels by Forest River RV

This is our door sticker, we have all options except generator and I have no trouble staying below GVWR.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180626_115753.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	244.7 KB
ID:	208570  
Old 06-26-2018, 05:00 PM   #18

You are correct, the link lists it as a toy hauler but it is not. Sorry for the mixup but I still am in awe that a top tier fiver can come with under 200 pounds of CCC. I guess we are spoiled our TH has almost 5k pounds of CCC (also a Forest River product). This is a pic from the 2018 Riverstone- better make sure the DW packs a carry on only!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A0A82423-3BF2-4B84-BFF5-0716D716EA35.png
Views:	75
Size:	1,018.1 KB
ID:	208604  
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 08:49 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhooker View Post
You are correct, the link lists it as a toy hauler but it is not. Sorry for the mixup but I still am in awe that a top tier fiver can come with under 200 pounds of CCC. I guess we are spoiled our TH has almost 5k pounds of CCC (also a Forest River product). This is a pic from the 2018 Riverstone- better make sure the DW packs a carry on only!

Wow, congratulations to the person who ordered the trailer in this configuration, ridiculous - well, still with a full tank of water .
We live fulltime in our Legacy 38RE, we have all options (I think) except generator, I've been looking for a Yamaha at the price of a Champion but I'm starting to realize I might not even need one.

On my last trip over the scales about 4 weeks ago I had 6,840 kg (15,048lbs,) axle weight and 1,620 kg (3,564lbs) pinweight with propane almost full, some water in the FW tank and 12 gal. water heater full. Since then I have moved the spare tire into a compartment on the truck and removed the tire carrier altogether which freed up an additional 220lbs on the axles and it's a relieve to be able to easily check the tire pressure on the spare. I admit, this is not an option for everyone.

I haven't traveled with a full tank of water since 2005 when I dropped one on the highway, we always find a place nearby to fill our water bladder when we have to.
We're in the clear with 19,030lbs GVWR.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:21 PM   #20

Works well for me, I recommend it!

Happy trails,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2017-05-23 003.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	299.0 KB
ID:	209894  
Old 07-07-2018, 04:26 PM   #21

following

Chuck,

The DW and I are having a very similar conversation, we are 2 years into our second MH and thinking we might go back to a FW. Literally, looking at Redstone units on RVTrader from the front seat of the coach for the last hour.
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited(his)
bamaspiveys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:51 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaspiveys View Post
Chuck,

The DW and I are having a very similar conversation, we are 2 years into our second MH and thinking we might go back to a FW. Literally, looking at Redstone units on RVTrader from the front seat of the coach for the last hour.
Michael,

We are looking at switching in about a year give or take, doing research now. We love our Entegra but I think switching to 5ver is the right thing for us.

Being that we have one of the nicer MH’s out there we are interested in only nicer “higher end” units. We full time and can’t really afford to have our home unusable for long stretches and frankly want all the creature comforts like washer/dryer, comfortable furniture and full kitchen. Though we are not rookies anymore and know that bad stuff can happen with any unit.

Plus side for 5vers: kitchen is almost always better, more variety of floor plans (including offices, kids rooms, toy haulers), inside storage usually better, better if doing extended stays (this is kind of subjective but I think so) and my biggest reason....more economical. Looking at a brand new “nice 5ver” that will not feel at all like we are “downgrading” and a new Ram 3500 or F350 to tow with for well under half of a new pusher with a corresponding reduction in insurance. Fewer and fewer companies are writing full time policies and they are getting ridiculously expensive.

My number one concern has evolved, still need to look at all the usual stuff; construction, insulation, find the right floor plan etc. but as seen on earlier post on this thread cargo capacity on some of these supposed “full time” units of under 100 kilos....come on. Doesn’t do any good to have more storage compartments if all you can put in them is pool noodles. I currently have, give or take, around 2400# of stuff in my coach. There is no way I could ever load enough in my coach to get anywhere near my limit....I have thousands of pounds of available capacity. As I said, we are full time so we have to have something with appropriate capacity and that’s capacity after adding batteries, washer/dryer, 2nd awning etc., etc.

I have a “short list” of DRV, Riverstone, Vanleigh Beacon and Landmark 365. DRV (not their larger units) seems to have the lead in cargo capacity, at least on paper, and has IS and disc brakes. If any of the others will allow an option of a 9K axle, IS and disc brakes they might move to the top. I actually have a couple of floor plans on the others that I like better but if they don’t cut it on the basics then it’s a no go.

The search goes on....
Hygge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 06:57 PM   #23

Quote:
Michael,

We are looking at switching in about a year give or take, doing research now. We love our Entegra but I think switching to 5ver is the right thing for us.

Being that we have one of the nicer MH’s out there we are interested in only nicer “higher end” units. We full time and can’t really afford to have our home unusable for long stretches and frankly want all the creature comforts like washer/dryer, comfortable furniture and full kitchen. Though we are not rookies anymore and know that bad stuff can happen with any unit.

Plus side for 5vers: kitchen is almost always better, more variety of floor plans (including offices, kids rooms, toy haulers), inside storage usually better, better if doing extended stays (this is kind of subjective but I think so) and my biggest reason....more economical. Looking at a brand new “nice 5ver” that will not feel at all like we are “downgrading” and a new Ram 3500 or F350 to tow with for well under half of a new pusher with a corresponding reduction in insurance. Fewer and fewer companies are writing full time policies and they are getting ridiculously expensive.

My number one concern has evolved, still need to look at all the usual stuff; construction, insulation, find the right floor plan etc. but as seen on earlier post on this thread cargo capacity on some of these supposed “full time” units of under 100 kilos....come on. Doesn’t do any good to have more storage compartments if all you can put in them is pool noodles. I currently have, give or take, around 2400# of stuff in my coach. There is no way I could ever load enough in my coach to get anywhere near my limit....I have thousands of pounds of available capacity. As I said, we are full time so we have to have something with appropriate capacity and that’s capacity after adding batteries, washer/dryer, 2nd awning etc., etc.

I have a “short list” of DRV, Riverstone, Vanleigh Beacon and Landmark 365. DRV (not their larger units) seems to have the lead in cargo capacity, at least on paper, and has IS and disc brakes. If any of the others will allow an option of a 9K axle, IS and disc brakes they might move to the top. I actually have a couple of floor plans on the others that I like better but if they don’t cut it on the basics then it’s a no go.

The search goes on....
You literally just typed the majority of our conversation, only difference is we are not full timers. We have several years before that becomes an option but capacity is an issue for us as we just like to have our stuff with us. The quality of the Entegra is going to be tough to match based on what I have looked at so far. Vanleigh Beacon is the only one I do not recognize but I will know about it soon.

Good luck..
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited(his)
bamaspiveys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:28 AM   #24

Have you looked at the New Horizons line. The Summit might be a contender.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:17 AM   #25

Quote:
Michael,

The search goes on....
you may not like the idea. but if you want that kind of CCC youll be going back to the last of the Tetons. I just bought and 08 Experience Reliance. My listed CCC is like 3500lbs. I had a Newmar Kountry Aire previously. If you want new and that quality Spacecraft or New Horizons. Make sure your in a MDT or HDT even better to tote these rigs safely. Youll be north of 20k empty. My Teton is 20,885 empty and 4600 on the pin. Weighed on the way home. Just my opinion.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote