Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2017, 05:54 PM   #1

Winter vs. hydraulic

I am new fifth wheel owner getting ready to park it for the winter in northern New Hampshire where the temps should well below freezing from December until April. I am thinking it would not be a good idea to rely on the hydraulic jacks over the winter. I am wondering if I should lower the frame onto cinder blocks and retract the levelers for the winter. Any thoughts?
trappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2017, 06:54 PM   #2

You can check with Lippert and see if they have syn atf in the system. If not buy some and you can use a small hand transfer pump. Hook up with all slides and Jack's retracted and pump out resovior then refill with syn to same level. Don't worry about non syn and syn mixing it is ok. That should mitigate any cold weather problems with Jacks or slides.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 08:20 PM   #3

I'm not sure I understand the question. If you're talking about using the jacks, they definitely run slower, and mine will sometimes trip the auto reset CB when it's really cold but only as the jacks are getting all the way up.

I pull my slides in when I'm going to be parking in the snow, and retract the aft levelers. For the front landing gear I wipe the struts down a couple times a month with a rag and silicone spray. My rig is parked at my house so it's easy enough to get to.
Searching_Ut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 12:02 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by trappa View Post
I am new fifth wheel owner getting ready to park it for the winter in northern New Hampshire where the temps should well below freezing from December until April. I am thinking it would not be a good idea to rely on the hydraulic jacks over the winter. I am wondering if I should lower the frame onto cinder blocks and retract the levelers for the winter. Any thoughts?
Oil in the jacks is the same as in a car......works when it is below 32F....as long as the jacks are not leaking it will be O.K......but.....retracting the jacks will prevent corrosion on the cylinder rods.
ALLOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:55 AM   #5

You should be safe down to 0 deg F, below that you definitely want to evacuate the oil and replace it with low temp ATF. As mentioned don't worry about proper mixing, extend and retract the slides several times and maybe lubricate the rubber slide seals at the same time.
Rusting hydraulic rams are an urban myth, they are chrome plated and unless they are physically damaged they will not rust when exposed.

Edit: If you're not planning to use the rv during the coldest part of winter do nothing. Frozen condensation would be my 2nd greatest concern.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
Rusting hydraulic rams are an urban myth, they are chrome plated and unless they are physically damaged they will not rust when exposed.
http://www.kobelco-cranes.com/india/..._Cylinder1.pdf
ALLOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 01:42 PM   #7

Every single vehicle on the highway in northern New Hampshire has shock absorbers with hydrolic oil in them and survive winters without issues. . All heavy construction equipment with hydrolic cylinders in use or stored for the winter keep their 'normal' fluid. Simple answer don't be overly concerned.

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hydraulic, winter