Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2022, 06:14 PM   #1

Wireless tire pressure monitors

I want to add tire pressure monitors to my tandem axle fiver. There are so many to choose from at many price points and all seem to that four and a half star ratings making it difficult to narrow down the search. I am not planning get the inside the tire units if i can avoid it.
I'm looking for recommendations. Thanks!
Kjoy457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2022, 07:01 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjoy457 View Post
I want to add tire pressure monitors to my tandem axle fiver. There are so many to choose from at many price points and all seem to that four and a half star ratings making it difficult to narrow down the search. I am not planning get the inside the tire units if i can avoid it.
I'm looking for recommendations. Thanks!
The most popular ones are a screw on cap that replaces your dust cap. Inside is a battery. They can be sealing, like a dust cap, or "flow through" so you don't have to remove them to service the tire pressure.

In the cab you will have a small receiver with a screen. Some need power to operate, some are re-chargeable. You can program it to your configuration and it will give you temperature and pressure, and will alert at programmable levels of same. Most systems also incorporate a "repeater". Small "thing" about half the size of a phone, needs 12VDC. It will make sure your receiver "sees" the transmitters. Do you need it on a 24' TT? Probably not. On a 45' DP? Yes you do. Everything in between is guess work.

The bulk of the business is a few brands that work about the same, cost about the same and have similar reliability. Most will sell you a kit with 4 transmitters.

I have bought Tiretraker and NEVER got it to work. I then bought TST and it has been flawless on several large RV's including a toad and a 16' trailer.
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 07:03 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Never had an issue with TST on our 30’ TT and I’m about to order a new TST system for our Class A with tag axle and the car hauler I pull (12 tires).
Old 01-22-2022, 08:58 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
I've been using the TST507 with non flow through sensors for over seven years and it's been flawless. It's saved me at least once when I had a low tire due to a valve stem issue.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 10:23 PM   #5

I have Tire minder works off my phone non flow thru sensors . I just didn’t want another gauge .
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 08:06 AM   #6

Oscarvan summed it up nicely. I also have been using the TST 507 with 10 cap sensors for 5 years never an issue. I change batteries every 2 years.
Steve-W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 07:03 AM   #7

i use tire tracker with the repeater on a 40 foot 5th wheel and it works fine. i replace the batteries yearly.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 07:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknife View Post
I have Tire minder works off my phone non flow thru sensors . I just didn’t want another gauge .
I had that same one. I finally threw it in the trash last fall. I had owned it for 2 1/2 years, kept fresh batteries in all 6 transmitters, used the booster and I wish I had a $1 bill for every false alarm/signal that I had over that 30 month period of time. The straw that broke the camel's back was our 5000+ mile trip out west last Sept. I finally got so tired of hearing the damned thing go off (false alarms) that I shut it off and finally got to drive in peace. I purchased a TST507 with 4 sensors and bought two additional ones (triple axle toy hauler) and it has been flawless. TireMinder = not so good. TST507 = YMMV.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 08:12 AM   #9

No matter what type/manufacture, or price , get them. Also get a air compressor / hose that will add air to your tires. They will let you know ,
" Honey , Does that tire look low ? "
deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 08:15 AM   #10

I have the TST flow thru's and are happy with them. Had to use there service once and it was great.
mtpocket21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 08:45 AM   #11

Evergreen Owners Club
I have Tireminder, works great!

Tags
air, monitor, tire