Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2019, 01:51 PM   #43

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by C5c5 View Post

This looks like a professionally designed stove with the key components needed for an RV. I see a lot of naysayers on here and it wouldnít fit my needs, but this looks as safe as any other heat source. Yes RVís burn up in minutes, but so do mobile homes. My main concern would be mounting in a slide out. If I read correctly that is your intention. If that is the case I would vent through wall so you donít have roof obstacles to deal with and make exterior parts easy to remove and reinstall. The closer the fire is to vent exit the more likely you need some arrester to minimize fir outside from embers.

As to call your insurance agent, with due respect I donít think that would be an exclusion on the policy. Just get a copy of insurance policy and look at exclusions. RVís burn down all the time I think I would be more worried about an improperly installed Norcold fridge catching fire versus a properly installed wood stove.
Regards Ron
baranski37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2019, 02:47 PM   #44

So you want to put a live wood stove in a structure that can catch fire and burn to the ground in a very few minutes? That does not sound too bright.
mikena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 02:59 PM   #45

Cubic mini wood stoves

Hi!
Do a search on Cubic mini wood stoves. There product is designed for boats, cabins and motorhomes. Think you will find them interesting.
buddy04411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 03:28 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikena View Post
So you want to put a live wood stove in a structure that can catch fire and burn to the ground in a very few minutes? That does not sound too bright.
I agree 100%! I heated my home, boat, hunting cabin, and even a tent with wood. At the time I believe Vermont Castings made the best and most expensive wood stoves. I had 160 acres of wood growing so heat was free. The only other thing I'm certain of is I'd never put a wood stove in my 5er. I hope OP plans on parking and never moving his 5er and hopefully FAR from any other occupied structure. I doubt the is a public or private CG that would permit burning wood in a 5er on their property.
Old 12-22-2019, 03:31 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantrekker View Post
Anyone installed a small wood burning fireplace in their fiver? Seems like ones used on the sailboats (the Sardine, Lopez Island, WA) or the smallest wood fired residential models could work well (too well perhaps). We boondock mostly and heat totally on wood fired heating at our base home which is a log cabin (Lopi stove and hand built "Russian" stone fireplace) and would love to have just enough wood fireplace btu's to keep the fiver warm in winter. Installation of the chimney exit is the biggest concern with the exit up through the slideout in the main cabin area or out the side and up. This is way beyond any retail fireplace shop installation guidelines, but... we love wood heat. Cheap and efficient. Anyone have success with such an installation? We have the room, can deal with the weight, can manage the wood fire risks as long as we keep to city type installation codes). I can imagine only a few sticks of wood will do the trick (or a presto log). Ideas? Experience?
You didnít comment about if you were living in your RV or traveling, boondocking? To me this seems like a lot of trouble and not very safe. I like wood heat as well but not in my RV. Where do you plan to get your firewood? Most places it is illegal to transport firewood from county to county much less state to state.
Old 12-22-2019, 04:13 PM   #48

No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantrekker View Post
Anyone installed a small wood burning fireplace in their fiver? Seems like ones used on the sailboats (the Sardine, Lopez Island, WA) or the smallest wood fired residential models could work well (too well perhaps). We boondock mostly and heat totally on wood fired heating at our base home which is a log cabin (Lopi stove and hand built "Russian" stone fireplace) and would love to have just enough wood fireplace btu's to keep the fiver warm in winter. Installation of the chimney exit is the biggest concern with the exit up through the slideout in the main cabin area or out the side and up. This is way beyond any retail fireplace shop installation guidelines, but... we love wood heat. Cheap and efficient. Anyone have success with such an installation? We have the room, can deal with the weight, can manage the wood fire risks as long as we keep to city type installation codes). I can imagine only a few sticks of wood will do the trick (or a presto log). Ideas? Experience?
Please, no! You do not want to have a fire in a fire trap. That is just NOT a good idea. I sure hope you reconsider. Check with your insurance company and see if they would even cover you for it. I'm betting they would not.
BikesAndGuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 05:15 PM   #49

What about a small pellet stove?
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 05:20 PM   #50

It's that for real? Just saying

Zzotte
Old 12-22-2019, 05:22 PM   #51

A buddy of mine put one in fis 5er and loves it.
https://cubicminiwoodstoves.com
Big Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 05:42 PM   #52

One thing I think most people overlook when choosing wood burning stoves is how insurance companies are starting to frown on them and deny coverage if the stove is involved in a claim. They may not even write the policy if they know it will have one.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 05:50 PM   #53

There is an RV manufacturer that installs wood burning stoves on their trailers. They are marketed more towards off road kind of like the sheep herder style campers. I'll see if I can dig up the manufacturer.
Old 12-22-2019, 06:27 PM   #54

Winds do change directions

No matter which way you get the chimney out of the rig and above the roof. Remember embers will be blown by the wind and to this end you may want to consider a metal roof layer. A nice air gap and insulated surround to protect the walls from the intense heat, flooring etc etc

Wood is nice, but pellet stoves are neat substitute, given that many have large windows to see the flames. They are also more efficient and many are EPA certified and trailer home approved.

The main issue you face is roof membrane and making sure your chimney is high enough yet low enough for rolling down the road and secure enough to be there always else you may have to monkey around removing the top etc. Some chimney caps are better at controlling embers than others.

Have a friend who does portable mechanic stuff when the fancy strikes out of an old bread truck. Yes he has a nice wood stove in the rig, but the roof is all metal as are the sides, he had tried various chimney caps finally macgivering one that he is happy with to control embers when he stokes the fire. If he had it to do over he would go wood pellet stove as every thing is so much easier and safer. Distances from combustible are much lower for pellet stoves. Venting is easier through wall. Embers are not an issue either due to multiple chambers etc.

All the best, wood is good but biomass pellet stoves are easier to use, and fuel is easier to carry specially now that many places frown on bringing wood along etc due to various pests spreading and such.
Old 12-22-2019, 07:51 PM   #55

You will need to provide auxiliary heat for your basement to keep it from freezing down there.
elliott-maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 08:09 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott-maine View Post
You will need to provide auxiliary heat for your basement to keep it from freezing down there.

You could rewire your furnace blower to a switch (blower only) and recirculate the air that way into the basement.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, fire, install, led, replace