Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2019, 09:41 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICHARD MC View Post
We heat cook and heat water with this home made stove. Works great. I remove to roof stove pipe and cap for travel. Rick
I assume a picture of the chimney vent would reveal a screw in double wall with a 90* elbow???
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2019, 09:48 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectors View Post
I put a wood stove in my 2001 Winnebago Journey as we do a lot of boondocking as well. I used a ďcubic mini wood stoveĒ ,. You can find them on line. England Marine supply had all of the single wall stainless pipe as well as cap, escutcheon and damper.. I built a hearth behind the passenger seat that it sits on and also acts as as wood box.I have an extension I put on top for good draw. Best heat ever to keep the coach dry inside in an Oregon winter. A word of caution. Keep a window cracked while using and DO NOT open a slide out while using. Good luck!
"...DO NOT open a slide out while using." ??? Due to the pressure change I assume. Makes good sense. Am pretty sure that I will side-vent it out through a slide so this should not be an issue (just will need to make sure all is cold before retracting the slide or there will be some significant consequences)
Old 12-24-2019, 09:52 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronsam View Post
As an old Fire Chief there many concerns some have already been addressed but the one I have not heard is make up air rvís are usually pretty air tight and fire uses a lot of oxygen
You should not rely on just an open window
Ronsam, Good morning Chief. Not advisable to rely on open windows if CO and CO2 detectors are active?
Old 12-24-2019, 10:15 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDooley View Post
Foam in the wall construction once lit will put an end to this debate in a bad way. Not a good idea. Not safe.
Just so you know some houses can have alot of foam in them. My brothers is built with SIPs - Structural insulated panels (SIPS) are building panels used in walls, floors, and roofs of light commercial buildings and homes. SIPs are 4- and 8‑inch thick rigid foam panels, sandwiched between two stiff sheathing materials.
cag61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 10:26 AM   #75

Am I understanding correctly that your interest in installing a small wood burning stove in a 5er is mostly for aesthetic reasons? I get the idea that you would not do this in order to save a few bucks.

The home where I grew up was heated with wood (upright Warm Morning stove). Worked ok until it darn near killed us all. Ever heard creosote burn in a stove pipe? The next day, my dad's brother brought out a propane tank and a propane stove. Not to give up on burning wood, my folks installed a fireplace. Years later, I came to understand the thinking of those who survived the Depression on a farm. Now I am the old geezer. I love the gas fireplace in our current house. Satisfies my inner cave man with very little risk.

I would never do what you are proposing, but that only means each of us has a different risk tolerance.
Delaware beaches ----- DW & Kip the Wonder Dog
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 10:41 AM   #76

How about a hole in the floor so you can duct outside air in?
Also, easier cutting floor than roof or wall!
mchero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 01:21 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantrekker View Post
"...DO NOT open a slide out while using." ??? Due to the pressure change I assume. Makes good sense. Am pretty sure that I will side-vent it out through a slide so this should not be an issue (just will need to make sure all is cold before retracting the slide or there will be some significant consequences)
Grantrekker, yes. The vacuum created in the coach when opening the slide out pulls smoke backwards. Lesson learned first time.
Use a 2’ extension when parked. I store the extension and drive with cap only on the roof, close stove and pipe damper. No problems for two years this way..
prospectors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 10:07 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectors View Post
Grantrekker, yes. The vacuum created in the coach when opening the slide out pulls smoke backwards. Lesson learned first time.
Use a 2í extension when parked. I store the extension and drive with cap only on the roof, close stove and pipe damper. No problems for two years this way..
Perfect, thanks for the hands on input
Old 12-25-2019, 10:11 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
Itís not a big deal to add one. I also heat with wood. I had a small stove on my boat. There are chances that you could get burned but canít you burn your hand if you put it on your dad cook top?
Iím not a bed wetter so I would go ahead with your plans. You know you can do it.
Merry Christmas!
Merry Christmas to you too and glad to hear that yours works fine. Going to make sure that the feet are bolted down securely as in the boat applications that I'm familiar with.
Old 12-25-2019, 10:18 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Swede View Post
Am I understanding correctly that your interest in installing a small wood burning stove in a 5er is mostly for aesthetic reasons? I get the idea that you would not do this in order to save a few bucks.

The home where I grew up was heated with wood (upright Warm Morning stove). Worked ok until it darn near killed us all. Ever heard creosote burn in a stove pipe? The next day, my dad's brother brought out a propane tank and a propane stove. Not to give up on burning wood, my folks installed a fireplace. Years later, I came to understand the thinking of those who survived the Depression on a farm. Now I am the old geezer. I love the gas fireplace in our current house. Satisfies my inner cave man with very little risk.

I would never do what you are proposing, but that only means each of us has a different risk tolerance.
Yes, you are correct in your understanding except the main reason is for the warmth of radiant wood heat, not aesthetics and the "risk" element is acceptable. Thanks for your cautionary input.
Old 12-25-2019, 10:18 AM   #81

I have a wood stove in my garage and had a hard time finding an INSURANCE company that was willing to sell me a policy and of course it cost more. Better make sure this alteration doesn't cancel you coverage should you have problems.
01knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 10:21 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchero View Post
mchero, yeah air intake will have to be evaluated. Am hoping a cracked window will suffice but will have to see.
Old 12-25-2019, 12:18 PM   #83

Bottom Fresh Air Intake

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchero View Post
The Kimberly Stove from unforgettablefirellc has a intake from
Below floor and a cook top.
TRIPLE 555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 01:42 PM   #84

Havenít read any serious concerns that canít be addressed. Install one safely and enjoy it. Merry Christmas!
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, fire, install, led, replace