Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2019, 08:10 PM   #57

Wood Stove

As an old Fire Chief there many concerns some have already been addressed but the one I have not heard is make up air rv’s are usually pretty air tight and fire uses a lot of oxygen
You should not rely on just an open window
Ronsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2019, 08:41 PM   #58

There's a young couple who survived a blizzard while camping offgrid in their 13 ft Scamp travel trailer fitted with a wood burning stove.

I hope that link works.
I think you can ask them questions about their stove via YouTube.
ukdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 08:43 PM   #59

Wood stove

I put a wood stove in my 2001 Winnebago Journey as we do a lot of boondocking as well. I used a “cubic mini wood stove” ,. You can find them on line. England Marine supply had all of the single wall stainless pipe as well as cap, escutcheon and damper.. I built a hearth behind the passenger seat that it sits on and also acts as as wood box.I have an extension I put on top for good draw. Best heat ever to keep the coach dry inside in an Oregon winter. A word of caution. Keep a window cracked while using and DO NOT open a slide out while using. Good luck!
prospectors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 09:37 PM   #60

Heater

No idea if anyone else suggested this butt I'll just wade in. What you are talking about is a Dickenson Newport Heater. They are made in wood, propane, and diesel fired versions. Dimensions are about 10 by 10, about 20 inches tall. 3 inch flue pipe into an air gap pipe through the roof. Installed correctly they do not leak. The stove itself is not inherently dangerous, but must also be installed correctly. I installed a diesel version in my 33 foot sailboat. Did very nicely. Guy I sold the boat to is spending a good part of this winter on the boat in New Jersey and is happy as a clam with it. It has a glass window door in it so you can see the diesel flame. Very soothing. Also quite pricey. When I bought Go2 Marine was the best price. I'm sure that's changed.
SamBLust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 09:49 PM   #61

I've installed a number of wood burning stoves on boats. The hard part is installing a chimney that can give a good draft and a "Charley Noble" to exhaust the smoke downwind. There are a number of really nie soapstone stove that don't weigh alot, have closable doors, give fairly good heat with great atmosphere and can burn wood or charcoaal. My boat customers burned cutoff's from local dowell mills (dry, small pieces, hardwood). THe size of these soapstone stoves varies from 14" wide by 16-18" tall and 8" deep up to some pretty large sizes. They can be airtight but DO need a draft to keep the fire lit. I'd google marine soapstone stoves.
Bob "14 Winnebago 37F Adventurer; Jeep Toad
bobfrommaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 10:43 PM   #62

Wood RV Fireplaces

Try Katydid or another one by unforgettable firellc.There are youtube’s on them.High efficiency gassifiers.If it smokes ,you are wasting the second burn of the gas given off wood.
TRIPLE 555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 11:06 PM   #63

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Foam in the wall construction once lit will put an end to this debate in a bad way. Not a good idea. Not safe.
Old 12-23-2019, 06:23 AM   #64

We heat cook and heat water with this home made stove. Works great. I remove to roof stove pipe and cap for travel. Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1889.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	402.7 KB
ID:	270285   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1810.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	293.3 KB
ID:	270286  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1808.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	325.8 KB
ID:	270287  
RICHARD MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 07:06 AM   #65

I wonder if you'd need to provide a small duct to provide replacement air. Wood stoves maybe require more air than an RV furnace, and could make for some drafty spots. If one is brave enough to cut a hole for a chimney, another hole for air shouldn't be a big deal.
Old 12-23-2019, 11:08 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott-maine View Post
You will need to provide auxiliary heat for your basement to keep it from freezing down there.
MY Eagle Cap Truck Camper came with a small fan to push the air down into the tank areas. Same could be done with a 5ther. Actually might want that rather than depend on the furnace to blow the air around.
cag61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 12:08 PM   #67

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yes, The Canadian Company "cubicminiwoodstoves.com" is the company to go to. They have 2 sizes. Also look on youtube and see people who have installed them and give all the info on their experience.
Old 12-23-2019, 12:36 PM   #68

Locally I see sheep wagons with chimneys, so I can only guess they have a wood burning stove in there. A quick search finds these as one provider out there.

Best regards,
Chris
BubbaChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 04:07 PM   #69

It’s not a big deal to add one. I also heat with wood. I had a small stove on my boat. There are chances that you could get burned but can’t you burn your hand if you put it on your dad cook top?
I’m not a bed wetter so I would go ahead with your plans. You know you can do it.
Merry Christmas!
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 09:22 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectors View Post
I put a wood stove in my 2001 Winnebago Journey as we do a lot of boondocking as well. I used a “cubic mini wood stove” ,. You can find them on line. England Marine supply had all of the single wall stainless pipe as well as cap, escutcheon and damper.. I built a hearth behind the passenger seat that it sits on and also acts as as wood box.I have an extension I put on top for good draw. Best heat ever to keep the coach dry inside in an Oregon winter. A word of caution. Keep a window cracked while using and DO NOT open a slide out while using. Good luck!
Appreciate the reply prospectors, regarding the draw, how hig above the roof did you go with the chimney. I've always used the rule of "2' above - 10' away" and had good results.
Home in western Washington State from where wife and I travel all seasons in our 2018 Arctic Fox 29.5K fifth wheel, outfitted with solar and a few Li batteries, and usually weighing in at around 14K. Pulled by 2019 F450 stock King Ranch 6.7L diesel.
grantrekker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, fire, install, led, replace