Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2016, 10:10 AM   #1

Worth the extra money for an inverter generator?

I'm going to install a basket on the back of my 5er with all the appropriate supports on the bumper for a generator. Looking at generators I see I can get a cheap old style one that will run my 15k btu AC just fine, but then there are inverter generators that are in come cases 5x the amount of the old style.

I only want a generator because where I travel is very hot. I never have to winterize I'm in the deep south. So when I load up for this summer I want to be able to start cooling the trailer right away so that when I arrive at camp I'm not having to sit in sweltering heat waiting for things to cool down.

The inverter gennys are way quieter it seems 56db instead of 78db in some cases, but besides that are they really worth the extra money?

I don't need it for any other reason than to keep the AC running until I get to my destination. I dont boon dock or anything like that.

curious what others think
Brandonrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2016, 10:29 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
The new inverter generators are certainly a step up. The main problems with cheap generators are noise and they are hard to start. I sold my old generator and was glad to get rid of it. What a pain!

I did some smart shopping and found a Honda EU3000IS at a great price. It starts right up and just hums.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 10:44 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I have both and ONLY run the non-inverter when I absolutely have to do so...it pumps out more power but I'm careful with its "dirty" power too. Too noisy even if I'm far away everyone else.
2015 Winnebago Minnie 2101DS travel trailer & Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts of WindyNation solar (parallel) with MPPT controller, 2 Trojan T-125s, TALL flagpole and a great attitude…SoCal based. Perfer USFS, BLM, COE, USF&WS, NPS & state park campgrounds.
LarryW21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 12:22 PM   #4

Today's electronics don't like the "dirty" power you get from a regular genny. It is possible to damage some electronics when run on them.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:54 PM   #5

What some are calling " dirty power " is the same power you get from an on-board generator, used in most gas engine motorhomes. Its not dirty, it's true sinewave.

Inverter generators use electronics to create sinewave power and adjust their speed to the load. That helps in the noise, along with the fact that they are built to be quieter.

Good engineering costs money.

If you can stand the noise and there isn't going to be anyone else, within a mile, the cheap, open frame, contractor generator is fine.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 01:49 PM   #6
Community Moderator

This one is pretty popular and won't break the bank

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1480711765.394087.jpg
Views:	937
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	145825
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 04:46 PM   #7

If you are only going to run the generator to pre-cool the RV while on the road, then noise isn't a concern. Get an old style generator with electric start if you can handle the weight on the rear bumper. But an inverter generator is lighter, quieter and more versatile.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 07:56 PM   #8

There is a great fuel savings when using a inverter. The engine will back it's self down on rpm's when only small amounts of power are needed. The regular generators have to run at full rpm's regardless of load needed to maintain 60 hertz. This not only saves on fuel but at lower rpm's the engine is quieter. I have a remote start champion that will run the air just fine, and it's starts with a push button. What I like about this set-up is, (when not if) your batteries are too low. The generator has it's own battery to start it. When running it also charges the generator's internal battery. Dave-R
Old 12-02-2016, 10:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
This one is pretty popular and won't break the bank

Attachment 145825
Yes. I have heard and read great things about the Champion line of Inverter units. THey even have 3500W and in dual fuel. It is what I will be getting. YOu can also use the parallel kit on then to double the power output.
Parks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 10:44 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have the champion 3100. Good quality, fit and finish. Starts easily. Runs an RV air conditioner for me. Great value, IMHO.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 07:17 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I have the champion 3100. Good quality, fit and finish. Starts easily. Runs an RV air conditioner for me. Great value, IMHO.
do you have a 15k btu by chance? I need to go to storage to figure out exactly what AC I have to figure out what the starting watts it needs.

From what I'm finding online I need 3500 to start it and only like 1800 to run it.
Brandonrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 07:25 AM   #12
Community Moderator

This product will let your AC start with a much smaller generator.

pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 07:35 AM   #13

Right now you want it for cooling the RV on the road. My experience is that once you have a generator you will find other uses for it in camp. Just buy the inverter generator and you will have no limitations or angry neighbors. It's not that much more.
RichH
aguablanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 10:29 AM   #14

I have a Westinghouse 2000i. It works well, and starts easily. Keep in mind, the Db are one thing, but with neighbors the steady drone of any generator can be annoying.
Sehc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, inverter