Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2015, 02:42 PM   #1

" WOW"

Didn't think that, wanting to sell all and boondock would be so hard.
Please help. Fith or bumper? getting into those good ole tight spots, what is a good length for a mom and her son? hes 21 by the way, but has Asperger, so he acts 16. whats a person gonna spend on solar? trees wont hit them pulling in, or do you mount them after you reach destination. Tenting was so much easier. Please respond if Your laughing out loud at my over whelmed what do I do post.
missnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2015, 04:38 PM   #2

Here is my opinion. Ease of pulling and backing into tight spots, easiest to hardest:
Class A, 5th wheel, Travel Trailer.
Set up and tear down: Class A, 5er, TT
Most like a home: 5th Wheel, Motor Home, Travel Trailer.
Storage. Toss up between Class A and 5th wheel.
Maintenance: TT, 5er, Class A (low to hi)
Amenities available: toss up between Class A and 5th Wheel with a lean words Class A.
Initial cost: TT, 5er, Class A
Most popular for full time: 5th wheel, Class A, Travel Trailer. At least this is what I've observed from the parks and camp grounds we have staid at.
Again, all the above is an opinion, actual facts may differ.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:16 PM   #3

I think Selah is spot on-the only slight difference of opinion would be TT in my humble opinion is much easier to back in tight spots than a fiver. From my experience the fiver always needs a much wider swing area and jackknives much slower than a TT.

A very small issue and I think the rest of the list matches my experience perfectly.
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:29 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
IMO a 5er is easier to back up because you can jack knife it to get into some of the really tight spots.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:54 PM   #5

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
IMO a 5er is easier to back up because you can jack knife it to get into some of the really tight spots.
I have to disagree. I have backed TT many times into very tight spots since you can jackknife it much quicker with the pickup. And this is a 32 to 34 footer.
schrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:42 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrod View Post
I have to disagree. I have backed TT many times into very tight spots since you can jackknife it much quicker with the pickup. And this is a 32 to 34 footer.
The reason I mention this is you cannot jack knife a TT. I agree it will turn quicker than a 5er but is limited in the turning angle by the truck bumper. A 5er can go past 90.

In tight areas I have jackknifed our 43' 5er by simply going back and forth with the truck until I get the angle I want, continually turning the truck while the 5er pretty much stays in place.

We have a 12' Wells Cargo, a 15,000 lb dump trailer and a 22' stacker that are bumper pull. I move all of them with our truck on a regular basis.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:50 AM   #7

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
The reason I mention this is you cannot jack knife a TT. I agree it will turn quicker than a 5er but is limited in the turning angle by the truck bumper. A 5er can go past 90.

In tight areas I have jackknifed our 43' 5er by simply going back and forth with the truck until I get the angle I want, continually turning the truck while the 5er pretty much stays in place.

We have a 12' Wells Cargo, a 15,000 lb dump trailer and a 22' stacker that are bumper pull. I move all of them with our truck on a regular basis.
A

And I disagree with you. A jackknife does not require to be turned 90 or more degrees. A jackknife is any time the trailer is severely turned more than it would be making a normal turn. My statement was that it takes a lot less maneuverability of the truck to create the jackknife thus you can get into a tighter spot (meaning tight for the truck also).
schrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 09:09 PM   #8

LOL...this is a silly discussion...BUT there is no way a TT can turn as sharp as a 5th wheel...just like a gooseneck trailer. Sorry schrod I don't know what you've been smoking, but your dead wrong if you think a TT is more maneuverable than a 5th wheel.
suprdave1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 08:17 AM   #9

TT isn't as tall as most fifth wheels, so it might be a little easier to get in a spot with trees. But most TTs aren't meant for full timing if that is what you plan on. Its more likely that you'll find enough insulation for 4 seasons and storage in a good quality fifth wheel.
Texastbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 04:17 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Post We've owned both

The 5er is much more maneuverable than any tt (just slower to react), Much smoother to pull and you get more useable space per foot of length. So why do I now own a tt instead? 1/2 ton got me.
ricndot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 09:40 PM   #11

Agree with all Selah's comments.

To the OP - can you explain where you want to boondock? Many places I think of when boondocking is in wide open BLM Land in the big ole wide open west.

A 5th wheel will pivot when backing at an extreme angle. A TT will not. I currently have both and know I can back my 5th wheel into a spot easier than the smaller TT.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 06:32 PM   #12

Standard cab truck and 20 ft TT = 42 ft length Same truck with 27 ft 5r = 42ft Lots of forest service cg spots are 42ft. More trailer for small cg spots. Alaska ferry charges by the overall length.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:29 AM   #13

I use to take my kids to the national forest to camp and hunt every year. We have spent some cold times in a tent and still didnt want to come home. I am know tired of trying to keep up with todays living expenses. So with just over 900. a month of my sons disability im selling all. I would rather be but broke watching a deer in the woods than this ridiculous must have world today. With that said I will be in nationals. Scary thing i have never been in one outside Texas almost wish I could fallow someone for a while. get my feet wet.
missnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 10:50 AM   #14

I like a fifth wheel, and have a daughter with a slight learning disability, she is going to be 19, but is not at that level either.
I applaud you for choosing to do this and keep involved with your child, I am sure you will get lots of good advice, and take your time to research, it can be a bit much for a first timer, but you sound capable.
Keep us posted on what you decide, and share your adventures with us.
Bill