Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2013, 10:31 AM   #1

Wrong Gray Tank Reading

I have a 5th wheel with two gray tanks. One for the kitchen and one for the bathroom sink and shower. After our last trip the tank for the bathroom gray water reads 2/3 full and I know its empty. what is good to clean the sensors in the tank. I do use some camco TST in the gray tanks,but that's for odor and Idont think that cleans the sensors. Need some ideas Thanks
bljl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2013, 11:05 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
All of the tank sensors are very innacurate after normal use. I have used all kinds of additives, cleaners, sensor cleaners and snake oil and NOTHING WORKS!!! I have done the Geo method, added ice to the black water tank when moving, added soaps and a small amount of water when moving, and NOTHING WORKS!! At least not permanently.

The easiest way for me, as a full timer, is to use the "burp" method on the black tank. I generally leave the grey tank valves open until a few days before I will need to dump the black tank- experience tells me that it will be about a week- just to rinse the sewer hose.

I added a Valterra valve between the trailer and sewer hose to prevent the little "surprises" when you take the cap off the sewer line. Then buy yourself a clear fitting to go between the trailer and sewer hose to see what is being dumped, then keep a close watch as I dump the tank, then use the built-in tank flusher and then finally, use the soapy water in the grey tanks to final rinse the hose.

Use a toilet paper that is septic safe and use plenty of water when flushing the toilet.

Bottom line is that I ignore the gauges and have been doing so for years. Its an exercise in futility to try to clean the sensors and keep them clean.

Good luck.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:49 AM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
As JayC says, the sensors are notoriously inaccurate. Here's a link to the GEO method of cleaning the tank.
https://sites.google.com/site/cbruni/
The sensors can sometimes also be adjusted at the display. If you don't have the manual for your display unit, Google the manual and it might explain how to adjust the readings. Experience is the best tank monitor, the display is just a reminder.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:54 PM   #4

If you want a real fix, consider capacitive tank-level sensing. See this: https://tankedge.com/ or this: http://www.rvgauge.com/.

NUWA is/was using the second of these and I was very impressed. The first is available from Camping World.

Some people also change to these Horst Miracle Probes for Wastewater Tanks in Recreational Vehicles RVs, but I think that's only a step in the right direction at best.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:19 PM   #5

Yeah, always inaccurate. I ignore them. Dumping every 4 or 5 days works fine
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank