Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2018, 12:45 PM   #1

Yet another hitch question

I know this topic has been beaten to death. I have searched here and online for answers, which I think might make the problem worse.

I currently have a gooseneck set up in my truck. Obviously I currently have a gooseneck trailer, but plan on a 5th wheel soon.

I want a hitch that can handle at least 20k. Like most products, almost everyone thinks what they have is the greatest thing every. These are too expensive to try 2-3 and decide what you like best.

Traditional 5th wheel hitch, seems pretty straight forward. Has proven reliability. Is heavy and requires additional mounting over what I have now.

Andersen Ultimate hitch, seems like an awesome product. While there are many units out there, the number is still small compared to traditional hitches. As far as I am aware there was only 1 known critical failure, but it is plastered all over the internet. I really like the overall concept and set up of this unit. Like many others I have concerns with the combination of a heavy trailer and any "off road" use.

Reese Goosebox, is used as part of the trailer so no need for additional hardware in the truck. Has built in air ride and shocks. Is approved by the manufacture.

All cost similar in price. All come highly recommended by those that own them. All have some advantages and disadvantages. How do you decide what one to choose.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2018, 01:03 PM   #2

If all else fails do a chance coin toss.

JK get the goosebox
Old 07-03-2018, 03:33 PM   #3

Reese goose box hands down, or the companion 5th wheel hitch but it’s not air cushioned like the goosebox
Old 07-03-2018, 03:38 PM   #4

How I decided? I did buy one of the first new 2013 Ram 3500 DRW with the optional 5th wheel / gooseneck provisions installed from the factory. How little did I know that there was no hitch on the market yet that fit the puck system. I only had two options, either an undersized B&W companion hitch or the Andersen Ultimate. Well, I bought the Andersen and never, ever looked back.
Now, on the new truck it's the exact opposite, the Andersen was too tall. The low profile version is only certified for 20,000lbs which left me with with the 22,000lbs B&W low profile 5th wheel hitch.

I can say I'm equally happy with both.
Old 07-03-2018, 05:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwcid View Post
I know this topic has been beaten to death. I have searched here and online for answers, which I think might make the problem worse.

I currently have a gooseneck set up in my truck. Obviously I currently have a gooseneck trailer, but plan on a 5th wheel soon.

I want a hitch that can handle at least 20k. Like most products, almost everyone thinks what they have is the greatest thing every. These are too expensive to try 2-3 and decide what you like best.

Traditional 5th wheel hitch, seems pretty straight forward. Has proven reliability. Is heavy and requires additional mounting over what I have now.

Andersen Ultimate hitch, seems like an awesome product. While there are many units out there, the number is still small compared to traditional hitches. As far as I am aware there was only 1 known critical failure, but it is plastered all over the internet. I really like the overall concept and set up of this unit. Like many others I have concerns with the combination of a heavy trailer and any "off road" use.

Reese Goosebox, is used as part of the trailer so no need for additional hardware in the truck. Has built in air ride and shocks. Is approved by the manufacture.

All cost similar in price. All come highly recommended by those that own them. All have some advantages and disadvantages. How do you decide what one to choose.
I have the Anderson and really like it. I pull a 39 foot DRV Mobile Suites with it and have had no problems. I believe the hitch is rated for 26k. One reason you don't see as many Anderson's is they haven't been out as long as most other hitches. You don't have the bucking with the traditional hitch and there is no grease involved which makes it a pleasure to deal with. I've seen that one photo and wonder exactly how that happened? Could have been a crash and the fifth wheel came forward and crushed the unit. Who knows! As with any product, you will always have that love/hate relationship. Purchased mine on Amazon, with free shipping and no sales tax. Can't beat that! Good luck with your purchase!
foretravelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 05:37 PM   #6

You will get many views on this.If you want the best its either a bd3 or a comfortride everything else is a compromise in ride quality.
42willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 05:43 PM   #7

Own the AUH and pulled the Reese Goosebox for 2 weeks. Even though I bought the Andersen to me Goosebox was hands down the better hitch.
I have the Andersen and love it but if my flatbed didnt have a recessed gooseball I would have bought the Goosebox.

Either will be better pulling and better riding than traditional 5'er hitch. No way would I ever go back to one of those.
Scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:17 PM   #8

Wow, the BD3 and Comfortride look awesome, and have a price tag to match.

While I am sure they pull amazingly, they still run into the same "problem" as a traditional hitch, and that is weight and space. I do realize the AUH does take up more bed space when installed.

One of my primary reasons for looking at the AUH and Reese is that I can use my existing ball without having to add more holes/rails, ect to make it function.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 07:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwcid View Post
One of my primary reasons for looking at the AUH and Reese is that I can use my existing ball without having to add more holes/rails, ect to make it function.
And in 2 minutes you can remove the small ball and have a clean bed. I also dont think the BD3 is going to ride any smoother than the ride you get with the goosebox and its air cushin.

After pulling a friends Goosebox for 2 weeks and owning the AUH no way would I ever go back to a traditional 5'er hitch. So heavy and such a pain to pull out.
Scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 08:17 PM   #10

Hitch

Another vote for the Comfort ride. Not only is it cushioned but there is no air to deal with. If your trailer is under warranty then you should also check to see if your hitch will void coverage in the event of a chassis problem . While not as convenient as pulling a ball we lift the hitch with the kingpin and lock it in place.

Enjoy
mjdenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 04:57 AM   #11

I have used the Andersen and now the Goosebox.GB is more convenient and gives a more comfortable tow. Providing you have a trailer with a Lippert frame...only GB is approved/recommended for use on their frames.

One downside to the GB is the 4,000# tongue weight limit.

Andersen is not advertising the safety standards testing they have passed. This tells me they failed them...
DJNCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 06:12 AM   #12

I have the 20K Goose Box and would highly recommend it.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:27 AM   #13

Even if you get a dealer to install it, get and read the installation procedure. Seems like a lot of dealer people don't read. I caught a major mistake with our dealer installed hitch.
deltam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 02:50 PM   #14

KZ RV Club
What are some dealer mistakes to be on the look out for? Also, since I’m disabled can anybody provide suggestions if I try to buy from private party? I’m not able to do the install myself and I also want a tracker satellite dish installed and use dish network on 2-3 tv’s as DW and I will be FT once house contract closes in a week. Plan to buy 2017 F350 SRW with goose ball and used trailer.
baranski37 is offline   Reply With Quote