RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2020, 01:06 AM   #1

Yet another Newbie question,this time it's "Power Cords"

Greetings all.
I am in the process of getting my 5er ready to go. I am having trouble determining what power cables, extension cords, whatever you want to call them, to buy.
My Keystone has a 125 volt 50 amp service plug on it. I believe it is a TT-30R. That means I can connect it to 50 amp 125 volts in a RV park or wherever, correct?
That 50 amp service plug will also take a 30 amp 125 volt plug....I think.
I want to have 2 power cords; 1 50 amp cord to connect to the 5er and 1 30 amp to connect to it too.
I'm guessing that one of the differences between the 2 cords is the connector at the supply end.....maybe?
I'm also guessing that all parking places for these don't always have 50 amp service, just 30........or maybe both????
Yeah, I'm lost here.
Can anyone tell me or suggest what cords I need to buy?
TIA!
TheGryme is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2020, 06:02 AM   #2

A TT 30 is a 30 amp, 120 volt only, RV cord. It is not and can not handle 50 amps.

A 50 amp RV uses 120/240 volt 50 amp service, thru a NEMA 14-50 plug.

30 amp had 2 blades and a pin.

50 amp has 3 blades and a pin.

Read up on them here.

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-30-amp-...-adapters.aspx
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 07:03 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
After you do the studying the Twinboat suggested, you need to determine for sure what your RV uses. You said it's a 50 amp RV, but the part number you gave is for a 30 amp plug - so one of those two things is not correct.
Count the prongs on your power cord (sorry Twinboat, not going to differentiate between blades and pins at this point ). If it has 3 prongs then it's 30 amps, if it has 4 prongs then it's 50 amps - it's that simple.

After you determine what your RV is set up for you then know what adapters you need to buy. Note that you're buying adapters, also known as dogbones, not cords.
If you have a 30 amp RV then you need something like this, that goes FROM 50 amp TO 30 amp.
https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Campe...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

If you have a 50 amp RV then you'll need one of these, to go from 30 amp to 50 amp.
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Dogbone...4059404&sr=8-7

To enable you to plug it at home or at family/friend house where there isn't a standard RV outlet available, you'll one of these.
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Dogbone...4059720&sr=8-3

You may also decide to buy an extra cord for your RV in case you get somewhere that the power pole is far away. In that case just buy the cord that fits your RV - either 30 amp or 50 amp, examples below.

https://www.amazon.com/RVGUARD-Exten...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Extensi...4059609&sr=8-5

Note that I'm not suggesting you buy any of the specific items I've linked to, those were chosen at random so that you could see what I was referring to. All will work for the purpose stated, but you may find better prices by doing a little searching.
Old 10-30-2020, 07:21 AM   #4

As mentioned above, having the correct adapter will allow for connecting to 30 amp service with your 50 amp cord. Make sure you monitor the condition of any cords or adapters as they can corrode and problems will result. Also, it's not a bad idea to occasionally check cords to see if they are overheating, which could be the result of corrosion, poor connection, etc.

X2 about having a properly rated extension power cord. You won't need it very often, but when you do....it's not the time to be trying to find one to buy!

And, if you haven't done so, I highly advise using a Progressive Industries EMS or comparable unit to protect your fifth wheel from the consequences of a malfunctioning power post. With the PI EMS units, if you buy one for 50 amp service, it will work when you use an adapter to connect to 30 amp service. They're not cheap, but far cheaper than the cost of replacing/repairing the electrical/electronic gear in your rig!
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 07:49 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
I second the surge protector. We have friends that just lost their TV and microwave to a power surge. Luckily it's an older rig with not much electronics. If it would have been a new rig, I wouldn't want to have to pay their bill.
Happy Glamping.Norman, 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 01:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
After you do the studying the Twinboat suggested, you need to determine for sure what your RV uses. You said it's a 50 amp RV, but the part number you gave is for a 30 amp plug - so one of those two things is not correct.
Count the prongs on your power cord (sorry Twinboat, not going to differentiate between blades and pins at this point ). If it has 3 prongs then it's 30 amps, if it has 4 prongs then it's 50 amps - it's that simple.

After you determine what your RV is set up for you then know what adapters you need to buy. Note that you're buying adapters, also known as dogbones, not cords.
If you have a 30 amp RV then you need something like this, that goes FROM 50 amp TO 30 amp.
https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Campe...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

If you have a 50 amp RV then you'll need one of these, to go from 30 amp to 50 amp.
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Dogbone...4059404&sr=8-7

To enable you to plug it at home or at family/friend house where there isn't a standard RV outlet available, you'll one of these.
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Dogbone...4059720&sr=8-3

You may also decide to buy an extra cord for your RV in case you get somewhere that the power pole is far away. In that case just buy the cord that fits your RV - either 30 amp or 50 amp, examples below.

https://www.amazon.com/RVGUARD-Exten...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Extensi...4059609&sr=8-5

Note that I'm not suggesting you buy any of the specific items I've linked to, those were chosen at random so that you could see what I was referring to. All will work for the purpose stated, but you may find better prices by doing a little searching.
I have a version of all of those mentioned. The 50 amp extension cord has been used several times. I cannot remember if mine is 15 or 20, but I was glad to have it when I needed it.

I also have a 10 gauge regular extension that I have used for many things outside the RV. It was convenient for our outside activities on a hot day on a 30 amp site (my 5ver is also 50 amp). It took a load off of the RV electrics for the outside items. We try to setup outside when the weather cooperates. This allows us to use the larger slow cooker outside and not draw off the RV. I have it on a small hose reel.
HDGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 02:15 PM   #7

I know this was an electrical question, but you also might want to look at your sewer hose and water supply hoses in the same vein also. You might need an extension for those at times also.
HDGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 03:34 PM   #8

Thanks Guys......I really appreciate the help.
I think I have it figured out......maybe.
The receptacle on my 5er is a 3 prong....so that must mean it's a 30 AMP circuit.
BUT....there is a sticker on the body that says 50 AMP, 4 pole, 3 wire...(See attached pics)
Maybe both 120 legs go on the hot Prong???
Confused?
I am!

Sorry about the 1 pic being twisted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Plug 4.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	271.9 KB
ID:	306472   Click image for larger version

Name:	Plug 5.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	242.9 KB
ID:	306473  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Plug 6.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	194.1 KB
ID:	306474  
Old 10-30-2020, 03:37 PM   #9

I hope this helps - I had a 50amp 5th wheel. I could plug it into a 30amp campground with the right adaptors.
50amp to 30 amp adaptor.

I could plug my 50amp 5th wheel into my 15 amp outlet at my house with the right adaptors. I needed two adaptors. 1 from 50 amp to 30 amp then from 30 amp to 15 amp.

I can plug it directly into a 50 amp RV Park electric without any adaptors.

Running electric appliances in a 50amp 5th wheel plugged into 30 or 15 amp service you can not run many of the appliances.

I stayed one summer in a Virginia campground with only a 30 amp service. I could only run 1 A/C unit to stay semi cool.
I had two A/C units on my 5th wheel but could only run 1 at a time.

My 5th wheel was a 50 amp 5th wheel but could use more than 50 amps. Plugged into a 50amp service I had a toggle switch to use the fireplace or the vacuum. So the manufacturer limited thd 5th wheel to only use 50amps.

Now the real fancy motorhomes and 5gh wheels have 3 A/C units. They probably need a 100amp service but the max is 50amps so they have to be careful what they run. Like 2 A/C units is probably all the can run or else they kick off their breakers.

Fyi - a residential house is usually 200 amps.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 03:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGryme View Post
Thanks Guys......I really appreciate the help.
I think I have it figured out......maybe.
The receptacle on my 5er is a 3 prong....so that must mean it's a 30 AMP circuit.
BUT....there is a sticker on the body that says 50 AMP, 4 pole, 3 wire...(See attached pics)
Maybe both 120 legs go on the hot Prong???
Confused?
I am!

Sorry about the 1 pic being twisted.
I would pull that power inlet and see what it's connected to--if it is two legs connected to one. Your RV breaker box might also give some clues. I don't know why anyone would downgrade an RV in that manner, but I just saw some really bad electrical work today, so anything is possible.

Ideally you have a 50 amp service on your RV and just need a new inlet to be installed.

FWIW, I consider a 50 to 30 amp dogbone unsafe since you have a 50 amp breaker protecting a 30 amp cord and additional wiring inside your RV. A 30 to 50 is perfectly safe, but you need to watch your power use to avoid tripping the 30 amp breaker.
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 04:02 PM   #11

I have a relatively small 50 amp motorhome, and here is what I carry:

25 ft 50 amp cord, mine is hard wired, some RV's have twist lock connectors at the RV end, I also have a hard wired Southwire Surgeguard. I would suggest getting a surge EMS unit of some type either plug in or hardwired.

I also carry a 50 amp to 30 amp dogbone adapter like this https://smile.amazon.com/Female-Elec...dp/B08DKRY8DG/ which lets me plug into a 30 amp power post if 50 amp is not available at the campground

As well as a 25 ft 30 amp extension cord, https://smile.amazon.com/Camco-Exten...dp/B000BUU5YU/ this comes in handy for situations when I am at an RV site with a distant power post connection, for example some municipal RV parks, fair grounds, etc. share 1 power post between 4 RV's parked tail to tail on 2 rows, these are usually 30 amp only setups. It is also handy when stopping for the night somewhere when I don't want to drag out the big heavy 50 amp cord and I know I will not need much power overnight. Think climate where the temperature is not too warm, or too cold, but I want enough power to run the microwave, watch TV, etc.

In addition to this I carry a 30 amp to 15 amp dogbone for driveway camping situations where no other type of outlet is available, this gets plugged into the end of my 25 ft 30 amp extension cord, giving me a total of 50 ft worth of heavier cord to reach an outlet. https://smile.amazon.com/Camco-Dogbo.../dp/B000BUU5YA Note don't buy the hockey puck style adapters as they are prone to overheating.

p.s. my guess is someone rewired your 50 amp RV for 30 amp only, I would check into that further and see what is needed to be done to undo this change
Old 10-30-2020, 04:15 PM   #12

That IS a 30A twist lock receptacle......by Marinco

It is 30A ONLY.....1 hot, 1 Neutral, 1 Ground
It appears previous owner must have swapped out a 50A receptacle (as indicated on that LABEL) with a 30A receptacle.

Marinco makes a 50A Twist lock that appears similar...3 prongs BUT
Ground is on the Side

You need to pull that receptacle and check wiring on backside....4 wires for the 50A so one wire must be not have been used

30A Twist Lock
The Ground Wire (green) would be on the 'hooked prong'
The Neutral Wire (white) would be on the 'narrow prong'
The HOT wire (black) would be on the 'wide prong'
*50A would have 2 hots...black & red

If your RV is a 50A ...then you would also have TWO 50A Circuit Breakers in your MAIN AC Panel
*30A OEM would only have ONE Main Circuit Breaker

Fill out 'Signature' Line in profile so your Year/Brand/Model shows
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 04:15 PM   #13

Take a look at your circuit breaker panel.

If 30 amp RV, it will have one (1) single 30 amp main breaker.

If its 50 amp, it will have a double 50 amp breaker. It looks like 2 breakers but they are linked together.

Seems like someone changed your power inlet.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 05:09 PM   #14

Stand by.....

Stand by,
I'll be pulling the receptacle off the 5th. wheeler tonight or tomorrow morning and looking at the breakers.
You guys have most likely saved me a bunch of money or at least a bunch of pain returning everything I bought!!!!

Tags
newbie, power