Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2020, 05:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk86racing View Post
Looking for what the best weight distribution / anti-sway would be for this combination? I've looked in the Equalizer, Blue Ox, Hensley, and the Propride, and the Propride keeps coming out on top. For something with as short of a wheelbase as I've got, its seems like the best option to lock things down.
Most folks with years of towing experience will tell you that you don't have enough tow vehicle for that long of a trailer regardless of the chosen hitch. I would agree with them.
6.7L, 3:31, Husky CenterLine TS
Reevesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2020, 07:57 PM   #16

I've driven my fair share of TV and trailers so I know I'll be pushing the limits on what is comfortable for most folks. Iíve seen people do more with less, and people do less with more. I know I wonít be able to do 70mph or even 60mph down the road. I know I need to keep extra extra distance, and light weather is always going to be a huge factor. I know my TV will be taxed. Itís what Iím going to have to deal with for now. Now with all my experience driving and towing I do lack in experience with the WD and anti-sway systems. Iíve tried to gather all the facts I can, and everything points to the Hensley type of hitch. If you have a properly or oversized TV you might not notice any difference, but if you are on the limit, like I will be, it's night and day. So with that information I'll be purchasing a ProPride and I'll throw it on and see how it goes. If it's still too much then I agree, a different TV / trailer is in order. Thank you for your help!
jk86racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 08:51 PM   #17

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You will not be on the limit, you will be way over it. I towed a 3500 pound ski boat with mine and the tail was wagging the dog. You clearly have already decided to do it despite advice not to. Hope that works out.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 10:36 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
You will not be on the limit, you will be way over it. I towed a 3500 pound ski boat with mine and the tail was wagging the dog. You clearly have already decided to do it despite advice not to. Hope that works out.
What hitch were you using? I ask because I've used my Explorer to tow a 4000lb stock trailer with horse halfway across the country with just a ball mount and the only issue I had was having to fill up often (it was actually nice to stretch the legs).
jk86racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:04 AM   #19

Wit a couple of exceptions SUVs make poor tow vehicles... and those exceptions are pretty aged out at this point.

Tags
ford, hitch, trailer, travel, travel trailer