Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-29-2020, 07:00 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomschwortz View Post
I really want reliability, so I don’t see myself adding any performance stuff to the engine.
I just watched this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

The lesson for reliability appears to be, keep your truck stock, read and follow the service manual, drive like the accelerator is an egg, get over a million miles out of your truck and over a 100K out of a good set of michelins towing heavy trailers for a living.
jjackrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-29-2020, 08:18 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackrash View Post
I just watched this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

The lesson for reliability appears to be, keep your truck stock, read and follow the service manual, drive like the accelerator is an egg, get over a million miles out of your truck and over a 100K out of a good set of michelins towing heavy trailers for a living.
Great video.
He said that he used a fuel additive. I wish he would have said which one.

His talk about driving in cold weather was interesting and reminded me of a snow day I took in the late 80’s.

I woke up to snow, so I told my wife that we were going to Paradise on Mt. Rainier. The roads on the mountain were in decent shape, but was getting deep where snow drifts were crossing the road. The snow on the sides of the road was 15-20 foot high and the wind really started to blow.

As we got close to Paradise the temps really started dropping fast and we were getting ice on the inside of the windows.

At Paradise, there was only one Park Ranger Jeep. When I got out of the car, the wind was blowing so hard that I couldn’t let go of the car and with all my winter clothing on, it felt like I was naked.

I was outside of the car maybe 20 seconds and told my wife not to get out, we were leaving.

Within minutes of leaving Paradise, all windows were covered in ice, on the inside and the only thawed area was just above each defroster and each was smaller than a piece of paper.

When we got off the mountain, the windows slowly started to thaw, but the wind was still howling. When we got to Eatonville I needed gas and when I was pumping gas, the fuel trickled out of the nozzle. I literally pulled the nozzle out of the car as it was pumping and there was just a tiny stream of fuel coming out. After a few minutes of standing in the wind and freezing temperature, I only got 2-3 gallons of gas, which got me home.

When I got home, the news was saying that Enumclaw which is North of Mt. Rainier, was getting 90 mph winds.

Don’t remember how cold it was, but it was brutal.
Zoomschwortz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 03:01 PM   #17
PRT

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomschwortz View Post
Being around high performance cars and race cars much of my life as well as more than 30 years in large machine shops, with many 120 foot long dual spindle mills hogging off 1 1/2 inches of in a pass, it’s funny, but the truck doesn’t sound very loud and my wife’s voice is much quieter than it used to be, dang I wish someone would answer that phone that rings 24 hours a day.

Did you install your Jake Brake and if you did, what was involved.

Thanks
Ken
Hi Ken. I didn't install my Jake Brake myself as my truck was only a couple months old when my dealer installed for me. I had heard good things about Pacbrake but the Jake was the only one warranty approved . After about 7 years I had to put a new vacuum pump in and was fairly easy to do. The reason my truck is so loud is I have a Corsa Stainless exhaust. Doesn't really have much of a muffler. It's loud enough to be my neighbors alarm clock in the morning. I like it but it gets old fast when towing. My dog also knows when I'm coming home from about 4 blocks away.
PRT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer, travel, travel trailer