Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2020, 10:17 AM   #57

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
I don't know that it matters who makes the engine when addressing what the warranty is on a truck, but yes I would include the 3.0 on the 1500. I haven't looked up that warranty.
Also 5 year 100,000.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2020, 10:24 AM   #58

Quote:
That might be an okay deal, but I'd worry about the dealer remaining in business. I still own a Ranger I bought in 1989. The dealer is gone and has been gone for a long time.
I'll take my chances that the dealer will be in business vs at 5 years I have an issue that's not covered and it's $$$$.

Fortunately I live in a one horse town. We only have one dealer per brand. No guarantee that my Ram dealer will be around in 5-10 years, but it's a gamble we all take in all things.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 10:27 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Fortunately I live in a one horse town. We only have one dealer per brand. No guarantee that my Ram dealer will be around in 5-10 years, but it's a gamble we all take in all things.
Right, and when the government bailed out/took over GM it required GM to close many dealerships.
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 10:29 AM   #60

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
I'll take my chances that the dealer will be in business vs at 5 years I have an issue that's not covered and it's $$$$.

We don't have any. It's a good 45 minute drive for me to go to a dealership, therefore I do my own maintenance.
Old 11-14-2020, 10:43 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
1504# is more than my laramie has..1324#..it does fine pulling our 6000# 28' travel trailer. on roads without a lot of terrain I can set cruise at 68-69 and it hums along fine. 8.5-10 mpg. the ram brakes are great and I just have the controller set at 5 or 5.5..cant remember. just cant load up the truck too much. with the 8 speed tranny, it will just kick down when it needs to..if in the hills, go slower and expect some higher rpms..I dont tow everyday so the 1500 works fine for me. I'm looking for a 2500 so as to carry more stuff the wife wants to take but am not in a panic about it and deals hard to find right now, so going with what I got.
It's looking like I may need to buy a new vehicle before the end of the year afterall, so if that's the case I'll be getting a 2500 Limited for towing and keeping the 1500 Rebel for playing offroad. Most of the concerns I've had with weight would be alleviated by doing that, so now I'm looking at smaller 5th wheels.

I thought buying a TT would be fun and simple...

At least I've learned a LOT.
Jayc71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 09:48 AM   #62

jayc71 - it is fun once you decide what tow vehicles can tow what trailers.

IMHO you do not want to push the limits of any tow vehicle. As long as you don't do that you will be fine.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 09:43 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
jayc71 - it is fun once you decide what tow vehicles can tow what trailers.

IMHO you do not want to push the limits of any tow vehicle. As long as you don't do that you will be fine.
Don't push the limits... that's what I've heard/read repeatedly. I am looking at 3500's now too so that I can eventually grow into a bigger rig without having to upgrade the truck again.

I see where this turns into an addiction.
Jayc71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 09:48 AM   #64

Quote:
Right, and when the government bailed out/took over GM it required GM to close many dealerships.
And since then the GM dealer in my town of roughly 300,000 has expanded and is in a very nice new building. Business must be good.
North of me is a large city that has multiple dealers for each brand. IMO when the Gov bailed out GM and some shutdown it was from an over saturation.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 05:28 AM   #65

Quote:
And since then the GM dealer in my town of roughly 300,000 has expanded and is in a very nice new building. Business must be good.
North of me is a large city that has multiple dealers for each brand. IMO when the Gov bailed out GM and some shutdown it was from an over saturation.

Our local Chevy dealer was forced to close by GM. Not because of over saturation, but the fact that GM wanted the dealer to sink $$$$$ into the building and make it a showplace.

He was a small dealer and outsold one of the other local fancy dealers, but GM just didn't care. They wanted the glitz.
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote