Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2019, 07:20 AM   #1

1 ton dually

Just wondering what kind of cost i am looking at. need to have rear brakes replaced on my 1 ton dually. 2013 chevy duramax. i have less than 40 ,000. miles. but like to be fafe when pulling my trailer.
outbackmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2019, 08:45 AM   #2

That question is as hard to answer. It depends on a number of variables. Disc brakes usually call for 1 hour of labor + additional labor cost to turn the rotors, and replace other parts besides pads. Then you have low, medium, and high quality pads. Of course you spring for the highest quality pad you can afford. Unless youre concerned about brake dust getting on your rims, you don't need ceramic pads.

Truck brakes are always more than cars, because the pads are larger and
prices naturally increase if you need extra parts like rotors, calipers, et cetera.

Your best option is to find a good brake shop and discuss. Be sure and tell them how you use your truck. Second thought; if they don't ask, find another shop.
fvstringpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 09:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbackmac View Post
Just wondering what kind of cost i am looking at. need to have rear brakes replaced on my 1 ton dually. 2013 chevy duramax. i have less than 40 ,000. miles. but like to be fafe when pulling my trailer.
Mine'S a 2011 but has the same brakes AFAIK. I honestly would be very surprised the brakes are due at such low mileage. My truck is at 165 000 km and pads are still at 9.5mm or 10 mm lining left with no real rust on the edges of the rear discs yet.

Rear brake jobs on a HD dually can very immensely in price and nothing can be determined 100% until rotors are pulled. Rear parking brake linings may be perfect OR they might be delaminating and need immediate replacement. Calipers are expensive but if maintenance was done they should be OK.

At my shop I have done rear brake jobs on these for about 800$ Cdn on the low end all the way to 1600$-2k when everything was needing replacement. I don't install cheapo 50$ pads nor 80$ rotors either. I would seriously make sure brake replacement is needed because I've not seen one set very worn at that mileage. Akebono was the pad supplier those years and they are great pads.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 10:32 AM   #4

Brakes on HD trucks last an incredibly long time. I sold my 06 Duramax @ 140K and at last report (from the dealer at service) had roughly 50% life left. Unless there is something wrong with them I doubt you need to replace them.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 11:07 PM   #5

As previously said, brakes on 3/4 ton and 1 ton vehicles last many, many miles. I drive less than 10K miles per year, and I sometimes will change the front brake pads of my truck whether or not they need replacement. I've had my brakes not stop well just because the brake hardware was a little rusty and not greased well.

I am amazed at the number of different pads carried by RockAuto.com and the incredibly low prices of those pads. And so far, my favorite pads are specifically Hawk LTS pads for every day driving. They also have harder compound and softer compound pads for different uses. There are many other great brands available too--including OEM Motorcraft pads.

I will have the front rotors turned usually, however I don't remove or have the rears turned. The rear disc rotors are in good shape, and I don't want to mess with the secondary brake shoes for the parking brake in the hub.

What many overlook is periodically draining the power steering fluid, replacing and bleeding the Bendix HydroBoost system that powers the power steering since there is no vacuum on diesels. After changing and bleeding new fluid alone, my brakes feel like they have brand new pads on the truck.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 05:29 AM   #6

Before you spend a nickel, you may want to find out why they wore out prematurely first.
Old 04-07-2019, 11:36 AM   #7

I've never done rear brakes on a dually but I've done all my own brake work for decades (trucks, cars, trailers). Drums can be a pain in the rear sometimes but discs are very easy. Usually takes well under 1hr per wheel for new discs and rotors. Only special tool I use is a piston compressor to push the piston back in. Mine cost like 20 bucks and I've been using it for years. Other than that the job requires basic tools and is very straightforward.

You can save a fortune. I did all 4 rotors and pads on my wife's Accord last year for $330 and I upgraded from stock. Dealer wanted $1,200 for stock and my local repair guy wanted $850. I did it in my driveway in 2 hours for all 4.

At the very least, price out the parts on Rockauto and search for a youtube video for your truck. If it's as easy as I think it is almost anyone with reasonable mechanical ability can easily do the job correctly while saving a bunch of cash.
BobChill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 12:12 PM   #8

Wjy do you think you need rear brakes? Modern vehicles with 4 wheel disc brakes can usually go 80 thousand or more miles on rears. Heck most people get 50-60 thousand on fronts and fronts wear probably two to one for the rears.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobChill View Post
I've never done rear brakes on a dually but I've done all my own brake work for decades (trucks, cars, trailers). Drums can be a pain in the rear sometimes but discs are very easy. Usually takes well under 1hr per wheel for new discs and rotors. Only special tool I use is a piston compressor to push the piston back in. Mine cost like 20 bucks and I've been using it for years. Other than that the job requires basic tools and is very straightforward.

You can save a fortune. I did all 4 rotors and pads on my wife's Accord last year for $330 and I upgraded from stock. Dealer wanted $1,200 for stock and my local repair guy wanted $850. I did it in my driveway in 2 hours for all 4.

At the very least, price out the parts on Rockauto and search for a youtube video for your truck. If it's as easy as I think it is almost anyone with reasonable mechanical ability can easily do the job correctly while saving a bunch of cash.
Brakes on that Accord and any dually are not the same job, trust me. If you need to get into parking brakeshoe replacement and such you're pulling axles or swearing at it for hours. Un torquing 150 ft-lb bolts that are threadlocked is a bit tougher than on the Accord too. Just lifting 50 to 60 lb rotors in place can be a task for some.

Yeah yeah, mechanics are all crooks they say. Thing is, we use quality parts,we are liable if something goes wrong and we guarantee our work. Somehow, we need to pay off our tools, infrastructure and building and try to make a profit. I can get cheap crap off Ebay anyday but with counterfeit parts rampant everywhere, even in parts stores, we need to know what we're doing.

Not many average folks will say rear brakes on a dually are easy.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
Brakes on that Accord and any dually are not the same job, trust me. If you need to get into parking brakeshoe replacement and such you're pulling axles or swearing at it for hours. Un torquing 150 ft-lb bolts that are threadlocked is a bit tougher than on the Accord too. Just lifting 50 to 60 lb rotors in place can be a task for some.

Yeah yeah, mechanics are all crooks they say. Thing is, we use quality parts,we are liable if something goes wrong and we guarantee our work. Somehow, we need to pay off our tools, infrastructure and building and try to make a profit. I can get cheap crap off Ebay anyday but with counterfeit parts rampant everywhere, even in parts stores, we need to know what we're doing.

Not many average folks will say rear brakes on a dually are easy.
Yea, I looked at a video for dually brake replacement. Getting things apart looks like no fun at all. The biggest trucks I've done myself are an F250 SRW and 3/4 ton suburban which are nothing more than heavier versions of car brakes. Duallies are several steps above those. If I were to do it myself I would want to have the truck on a lift for better access/leverage. The short story is I wouldn't do the rear on a dually myself. Too many sticking points in the disassembly process.
BobChill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:44 AM   #11

I don't think I mentioned it but I have been a professional mechanic for 34 years now. I also own a repair shop.
Old 04-10-2019, 06:56 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Wjy do you think you need rear brakes? Modern vehicles with 4 wheel disc brakes can usually go 80 thousand or more miles on rears. Heck most people get 50-60 thousand on fronts and fronts wear probably two to one for the rears.

X2!
Even if you haul full time, 40,000 miles to replace rear brakes is way too early. Proper use of your exhaust brake, fronts should last at least 80K and rears twice that.
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 11:06 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
I don't think I mentioned it but I have been a professional mechanic for 34 years now. I also own a repair shop.
Howdy fellow mechanic.

32 years for me. I have owned my own shop for 23 years. I am a boat mechanic.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:58 AM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Might want to consider upgrading trailer brakes to disc too!