Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-21-2019, 09:03 AM   #71
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Elko, Nv
Posts: 1,973
Mercedes requires that cars moved from dlr to dlr be in an enclosed trailer. One of the cars we bought was a dlr trade and i offered to go drive it back and thats when they told me that.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2019, 09:11 AM   #72
Senior Member
 
sirtate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshopes81 View Post
Theyre aimed at the person who legitimately should be in a medium duty but doesnt want to deal with the expense. Theyre trying to get on the road and making money for as little money as possible.
That's what I think too...

One of the biggest worry I had running class 8 trucks was parking.

I lived in suburbia, and couldn't drive a heavy truck on my street, let alone park it my driveway bob-tail.
I tried a few times, and a neighbour called bylaw enforcement each time, and it cost me $500 each time.

My one neighbour had an F350 DRW, and never had any problems...

So, perhaps if you have only a '1-ton' pickup truck you can park it in more places.
sirtate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 12:46 PM   #73
Senior Member
 
tuffr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Palm Coast Florida
Posts: 11,078
Agree 100% that a 1 ton dually can be parked in a driveway while a class 8 tractor can not. Even a Freightliner Sport Chassis would cause a ruckus.

A 1 ton Ram 1500 dually would be overweight with 5 trucks on an open car hauler trailer. The $$$ must be worth it.

Now in just a few months we will see the 2020 redesigned dually trucks with more capacity, 35,000lb plus towing coming down the pike. With Chevy upping their rating that will add to the hot shot mix.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 03:12 PM   #74
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 1,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Agree 100% that a 1 ton dually can be parked in a driveway while a class 8 tractor can not. Even a Freightliner Sport Chassis would cause a ruckus.

A 1 ton Ram 1500 dually would be overweight with 5 trucks on an open car hauler trailer. The $$$ must be worth it.

Now in just a few months we will see the 2020 redesigned dually trucks with more capacity, 35,000lb plus towing coming down the pike. With Chevy upping their rating that will add to the hot shot mix.
I dont expect to see many right away. Alot of the haulers i see are at least a few years old. Most of what i see up here are pre def dodges, some 6.7 and 6.0 fords, and ive even seen a few 7.3 super dutys. I wouldnt expect to see anything older up this way but i find the spread kind of odd. I havent seen a single newish ford or older dodge. Oh, ive seen fewer 6.4 fords than 7.3 (ive seen like 3 or 4 super duty 7.3 trucks and 2 mid 90s models).
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 04:34 PM   #75
Senior Member
 
tuffr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Palm Coast Florida
Posts: 11,078
I do not think those old truck have the capacity to be hot shot trucks like I see here in Florida. I am seeing newer crew cab dually trucks towing 3 car open hauler trailer and sometimes 4 cars.

Those old trucks, the frame would break.

They were not built with my fav 'high strength steel'.

What do you see them towing in the Pittsburgh area?

Let's go Bucs!!!
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 05:31 PM   #76
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 1,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I do not think those old truck have the capacity to be hot shot trucks like I see here in Florida. I am seeing newer crew cab dually trucks towing 3 car open hauler trailer and sometimes 4 cars.

Those old trucks, the frame would break.

They were not built with my fav 'high strength steel'.

What do you see them towing in the Pittsburgh area?

Let's go Bucs!!!
3 and 4 car haulers. I saw a 7.3 obs with a triple hauler last summer. The rear axles on the fords are rated for 8250 up through 04 and only jump to 9 after 05 through 15. The rams are pretty close to that so, theyre rated for it, just have to be a little more careful with loading.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 05:43 PM   #77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 1,974
Actually, i just scaled the work truck on my way to a job. I came in a little heavy, but the dodge is 12300 gvw, 7000lb rear, 6k front. I had a 30ft gooseneck hooked up, 100 gallon fuel cell full, full tank of fuel, tool box, and whatever else floats around the cab. The front came in at 5750, rear 7675, and whatever was on the trailer for close to 28k total. The work dodge was illegal straight up and i wont be hauling that trailer again, but my 03 dually still wouldve had 500lbs to spare. I think i remember the trailer axles having around 18 on them.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:23 PM   #78
Senior Member
 
tuffr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Palm Coast Florida
Posts: 11,078
I grew up between Johnstown Pa and Altoona Pa. I spent 10 years in Pittsburgh. That area is the heart of the rust belt. I am surprised those old trucks are not rust buckets. I would check the frames for cracks.

I say this because I had a friend on top of one of those 2,600' mountians. His 7.3 Ford had a crack frame and lots of rust. Lucky he was a welder to keep that truck in one part.

My other friend has a little 2005 Ram 1500 with rust on it through the fender wells.

I think the cargo capacity should go up as the truck gets lighter as the rust falls off of it.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:53 PM   #79
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 1,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I grew up between Johnstown Pa and Altoona Pa. I spent 10 years in Pittsburgh. That area is the heart of the rust belt. I am surprised those old trucks are not rust buckets. I would check the frames for cracks.

I say this because I had a friend on top of one of those 2,600' mountians. His 7.3 Ford had a crack frame and lots of rust. Lucky he was a welder to keep that truck in one part.

My other friend has a little 2005 Ram 1500 with rust on it through the fender wells.

I think the cargo capacity should go up as the truck gets lighter as the rust falls off of it.
Oh absolutely, but we have a few individuals (myself being one of them) who like the older iron and are willing to drag it up here to use again. My 03 thats never seen a winter is cleaner than the 17 work truck. My dad ended up getting rid of his 96 chevy 1500 a few years ago because the frame got soft around the gas tank.

I have an old f250 that was the brush truck for mahaffey and rural valley vfds years ago.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tow, towing, trailer



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anybody Towing 3/4 or 1 Ton Trucks? HamboneTHW Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 15 01-04-2019 12:12 PM
Differences in towing 1/2 ton & 3/4 Ton PU huntnjim Newmar Owner's Forum 9 06-30-2014 03:42 PM
Car and Driver test 1/2 ton trucks tuffr2 Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion 26 09-28-2013 09:48 PM
Question, Turning a one ton non-dually to a dually. Wildbob52 Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion 28 02-09-2013 02:43 PM
Dish 500 Multi Room = Multi Use?? Zimectrin Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 4 07-28-2005 04:05 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.