Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2018, 02:30 PM   #57

Still love my 2016 Ram Laramie. Way more quiet and solid feeling that the M-B Sprinter chassis.
dennish2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2018, 06:34 PM   #58

Not true

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexters View Post
CR always had a bias against USA cars/trucks.
Consumer Reports doesn’t take advertising money like Road and Track, Car and Driver or many other biased outlets. Consumer Reports collects data from owners that subscribe to their magazine or website and gives it to us straight up. No bias. I have used Consumer Reports for many years and they always steer me right. I have never ever had an issue with the autos that they say are the best. They are the only source that doesn’t take funds to sway their findings. Straight from the horses mouth so to speak since the information comes from their subscribers and only their subscribers.
Elcorbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 06:50 PM   #59

You never had many issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbstewart View Post
I really don’t understand how they come up with that stuff, ever car, truck or mini van I’ve owned have been in the top 10 worst buys, but yet I’ve never really had many issues
If you bought one of the top 10 you probably would not have had any issues. The data is compiled from their subscribers. Go to consumerreports.org and have a look at how they collect their data and you will understand how they come up with this information. We the subscribers and automobile owners give them the information. Since I already own 2 of the top 10 automobiles and only have service done, they continue to get high scores. I look at forums for different automobiles and see the problems first hand. Love the internet where we can actually know what problems we are going to have when we buy a new automobile. I never buy an automobile because of where it is made or the color or the great lines and good looks. I look to consumer reports to see what the owners say about the automobiles. I hate to spend time at dealers having my automobiles worked on. Before the days of the internet, that is exactly how it was. I have owned some doozies in my time!
Old 11-09-2018, 07:00 PM   #60

We are the owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5511 View Post
If you want to know what to buy, talk to the guys that work on them........independent mechanics, not the dealer mechanics. And those who own and use them......I mean really use them.
That is where CR gets their information. From us, the owners. I look at forums also. Owners are always talking about issues.
Old 11-11-2018, 06:22 AM   #61

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Jayco Owners Club
I agree totally. Wish I could find one and replace my F250.
Marshalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:43 AM   #62

The problem I have with Consumer Reports magazine is that it is too small to wrap the garbage in and too shiny for toilet paper
joshuajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:44 AM   #63

X2!!!
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:53 AM   #64

Nor'easters Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexters View Post
CR always had a bias against USA cars/trucks.

That’s not true is it?
Old 11-11-2018, 11:13 AM   #65

Winnebago Owners Club
Many say they the vehicle they bought is the best, regardless of scores.

But if you sit with them and ask them questions many times you will find they have glossed over some of their experiences with the vehicle.

Just ask anyone about gas mileage!!
Old 11-11-2018, 11:25 AM   #66

I stopped getting CR years ago because I thought something was was fishy on their reporting!
Anyone pulling a 5th wheel or trailer with a Ridge line? Lol

Stano
Stano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 11:26 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobert View Post
Because it was true and for the most part still is. I mean clearly the pinto was far better than the corolla. How dare they report otherwise.

Don't leave out the AMC Pacer and Gremlin! Clearly all better than a BMW 3 series....

/satire
Old 11-11-2018, 12:42 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danj2001 View Post
Consumer Reports went off my 'trust' list back when Ralph 'Ego' Nader was in charge. For every vehicle they have whined about, I have had extremely good luck. Anyway, they are in the Japanese's back pocket anyway. Frankly, if they give a thumbs down on something, I generally buy it and have never been disappointed. Just my experience.

Nader was but 1 member of Consumer's Union board of directors and left in 1975.

Americans were building mostly crappy cars back then and it suited their business model that was much like the RV manufacturers today. Build the minimal level of quality because the initial buyer will only keep it for a short time.

Remember when almost everyone on your block would buy a new car every couple of years? Nothing needed to last more that 50,000 miles. The post-war Japanese, however, couldn't afford that economic luxury and eventually American statistician W. Edwards Deming showed them how to find and fix problem methods, materials and fabrication errors before products left the factory. It was 20 years later that the Japanese car makes handed Detroit it's collective arse on a platter, with Americans rejecting the poor quality of GMC, Ford, Chrysler and AMC.

American auto makers finally got the message and started making better cars but not before losing significant market share.... and none of that happened because CU/CR had some kind of "import agenda."
Old 11-14-2018, 06:24 AM   #69

The problem that I have with sites like CR are the same issues I have with most who do reviews.

Look at this example:

Johnny bought a 3500 series truck. His expectations were that it is powerful enough, is comfortable, and reliable. Truck 1 met those expectations, so he is satisfied and doesn't put too much thought into the truck after that. If anyone asks how he likes the truck the answer is likely "It's been a pretty good truck. I like it." and that's about as far as he goes with it. He doesn't search out websites to post reviews.

Sam bought a 3500 series truck and had a few problems with it. His expectations were not met, and has been stewing on the problems for weeks now. He stumbles across a website where a few other owners have complained and decides to weigh in. That further stirs emotion and he decides to post another glaring review on a different site. And then another, and another. Then he will think back to a time where he had a vehicle that didn't have an issue and will begin posting good reviews on that truck. As he thinks more on it, he will begin to decide that his one bad experience with one truck and his good experience with one truck marks the brand as good or bad in his eyes.

Emotion ruins many a good thing, including the reputation of a vehicle. It's not as often that logic plays a part. Sure, vehicles break and there are some things that break more than others during certain year models. But I don't know that a few bad years on any brand makes them bad in general. It just means there are things to watch for.

I could go on and on about how many issues I've dealt with as a service writer on the 6.0L and 6.4L Powerstroke in the F250/F350s from 03-10. BUT..... that doesn't make the Ford trucks bad by any stretch. It just means they went through a few rough years. All in all though, Ford makes a dang nice truck. I think the same can be said for just about any brand. You're more likely to hear the negatives online though.
Nlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 07:59 AM   #70

What I find interesting is some people hate CR while others like it.

If I think about it, CR might have helped getting better cars and trucks today.

Rust - gone
Cars that only last 50,000 miles - gone
Cars/Trucks that do not start - gone
Cars/Trucks that rattle - gone
Cars/Trucks that need a fan belt - gone
Changing spark plugs - gone (kinda)

We old timers can remember carrying extra parts and jumper cables everywhere we went.

A black mark on CR survey might have meant 100 problems in 1000 cars. Now the black mark means 5 problems in 1000 cars because other cars only have 3 problems in 1000 cars.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chevy