Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2020, 02:02 PM   #1

'15 3500hd bed to 5th clearance issue

Hi,

I have a 2015 3500HD diesel where I am having issues with the top of the bed to trailer inteference (I have a steep driveway with a hump at the top I cant change due to a culvert - and its always at the 'crux' where I am having this issue). The top of the tailgate just kisses the 5th and as long as I dont turn at all or truck or trailer is not at a roll angle, it rubs but so far no holes in trailer but the top of the truck bed is all gnarled up. But ... I cant turn at all and its sketchy at best. Waiting for the trailer cap to puncture isn't fun :-). I dont think its just my driveway as driving around I have had it hit a few other times.

I have already raised the trailer (flipped axles and extended frame), and I have the 5th hitch on its highest setting. I can go 1 more set of holes on the coupler but the trailer would be sitting "high" up front and actually I think it will make it worse as then the angle will cause it to interfere more on the tailgate at the crux when the front wheels are at their lowest and the 5th part of the trailer is on the hump - it seemed to be best when 'level'.

Right now where its at, the trailer is pretty level (see pics). I have looked at 16" trailer tires but they wont clear each other as the two axles are really close.

What are other guys doing ? I am running 275-70-18 but I can maybe try 275-65-18 on my next set of tires (should drop truck by an inch?). Or are you lowering your truck or ??

Been thinking of upgrading to a 2021 3500 AT4... is this problem going to be worse ? or better ?

Thanks for the advise

-P
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fleetwood-1.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	308466   Click image for larger version

Name:	fleetwood-4.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	308467  

Click image for larger version

Name:	fleetwood-6.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	308468   Click image for larger version

Name:	fleetwood-9.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	308469  

phatbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2020, 02:25 PM   #2

Can you add fill dirt to lessen the angle. Or stones or maybe temporary plank boards under the trailer tires when needed. It might be a two person operation and you might need multiple plank boards. Thinking 2' long and maybe as many as 8 or 10.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 03:41 PM   #3

Its hard to tell from your photos being taken on a angle to the truck . It looks to me like the trailer sits nose low on the truck. You should be able to lower the pin box in the frame of the trailer and gain back a 1 1/2" of bed clearance. What is the saddle height off the bed floor , you should have the saddle around 19" high off the bed floor ,Normally that would get you around 7-8" at the corner of the bed for clearance.

The new trucks have about 1" higher bed side rails but the frame sits 1 ~ 1 1/2" lower. I cant say if that hold true on the AT4 .
Old 11-18-2020, 05:45 PM   #4

I've done the plank and board trick but honestly its tough as we have to back it in, and I find if I stop when i get going again the suspension compresses just enough for it to hit worse than just driving through slow.

Since those pics were taken I did raise the hitch in the truck to its highest setting (it actually is in the camping pics but isn't in the paved lot pics).

its definitely now slightly nose high, if I go the next pin box setting will be way nose high and actually the clearance at the tailgate is less !

so yeah is tires or lowering truck only answer ? sounds like 2020+ trucks will be worse ??
phatbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 07:11 AM   #5

end the headaches and get a hauler body installed. Like a classy chassis or western hauler. dont go to the cheapos it will stress and welds will break.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 12:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatbob View Post
I've done the plank and board trick but honestly its tough as we have to back it in, and I find if I stop when i get going again the suspension compresses just enough for it to hit worse than just driving through slow.

Since those pics were taken I did raise the hitch in the truck to its highest setting (it actually is in the camping pics but isn't in the paved lot pics).

its definitely now slightly nose high, if I go the next pin box setting will be way nose high and actually the clearance at the tailgate is less !

so yeah is tires or lowering truck only answer ? sounds like 2020+ trucks will be worse ??
We really need better information. 5th hitch in bed should be at the highest position. What is the clearance between trailer underbelly and truck bed rails at the front and also at the rear and tailgate?

Can you snap a level pic of the way it'"s currently set up?

I had the same issue with my 3500HD dually. I dropped the pin on the 5th wheel one notch to give me an extra 1.5 or 2", can't remember the spacing offhand.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 01:10 PM   #7

How much bed clearance do you currently have?

I have already raised the trailer (flipped axles and extended frame),

How much of a subframe?
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 03:36 PM   #8

Welcome to the forum. The diameter of the tires with the AT4 option is 34". The diameter of your current tires is 33.2" so theoretically the bedrails on a new truck with the AT4 option would sit .4" higher. New 65 series tires would have a diameter of 32.1" so your bedrails would be lowered .55".

Consider this offbeat solution. My air hitch extends 2 1/4" from the towing position to the top stops. A person could just air up the hitch to get another 2 1/4" of bedrail clearance. Air down when not needed. You could install an on-board compressor and lift the hitch from the cab. The worst that could happen is you would end up with an expensive smooth towing hitch.