Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2011, 01:57 AM   #1

1995 F-150 w/ 5.0 V8, 5sp & 3.55 gears. Safe for TT? How big?

So I bought this truck a few months ago. In case you skipped my thread title, here's the rundown:
  • 1995 F-150, 4x4 Supercab
  • 5.0 ltr V8
  • 5sp
  • 3.55 gears
  • Hitch rated to 8,000lbs.
  • It didn't come with factory tow package wiring (trailer brakes), but I'm almost done wiring and installing that, include a trailer brake controller.
  • According to the owner's manual (I have one!), trailer weight should top at 3100lbs.
I'm in the market for a travel trailer. I'm not rich, so it'll be a "vintage" trailer. I'm hoping I could get some input for the max size trailer I should go for? Personal experiences? When I've talked with folks selling their trailers, they often don't know how much the TT weighs.

For example, I got an email today from someone who has a 1972 23' travel trailer. I don't really know what a typical vintage TT would weight. Would something like this be too heavy?
PapaHepcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2011, 02:20 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The trailer you list is probably going to exceed your 3100 pound limit, and with the small V-8 and 3.55 gears you probably aren't going to like the performance. The only way to find out is to try it and find a good hill for a test.

A factory towing package is more than just wiring and a hitch. You will generally get things like a larger radiator, trans cooler, lower gears, heavier alternator, and whatever else the particular manufacturer deems necessary for towing. Also keep in mind that manufacturers' tow ratings are usually pretty optimistic. Things can get pretty frustrating when you tow at or near the limit.

JP
Kurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:05 PM   #3

Hi Papa H and Welcome

What you may find to be your week link, is not as it is in most cases braking, but your Tranny, You have a light/med duty M-5 made by Mazda, with a 10 inch light duty clutch. performance wont be "Stupid" bad but nothing to write home about. Some things that may help... R&R the tranny fluid and replace with a high quality synthetic, Mobile 1.. Ams oil... for example. then upgrade your clutch to an 11 inch. these two items will help the situation immensely. I can say I speak from experience on this as I once had a similar truck as yours.

https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/passes/white/ not far from home...
Frankenstien is offline   Reply With Quote