Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2017, 05:22 PM   #1

1st long haul - Performance/Mpgs

Just got back from my first trip with new truck - 15' F250 6.2 towing Passport 3350bh (~#7500)

590miles with some idleing from Cincinnati to Prophetstown then to Indiana Dunes, & back home....

Towed incredibly stable and straight using Eq.4 sway (except North of Lafayette on 65 through the wind turbine fields!) Had water in it up then empty on way home no noticeable difference on performance or sway control (water up front to help with tongue weight)

Shifting seemed odd at times and was in 4th gear longer than I thought needed sometimes but not bad as I was running 60-70mph most of the time -- I was scared of a diesel and the potential repair issues down the road so I am Ok with the 8mpg I got this trip! Saved $+10000 on the purchase vs diesel and will upgrade to diesel if/when we go 5th wheeling!!

Overall, very very happy with the ride -- check back with me in 3 weeks as I go from Cincinnati SOUTH to Fort Boonesborough for 2 nights then too Anchors Down in Tennessee! Let see how she does with the mountains!!!

** used Tow/Haul 85% of trip & will probably continue to do.

***Me wife and 4 kids (two 5yr olds and two 1yr olds) stroller, bikes and wood under vinyl tonneau-
6Kampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2017, 05:29 PM   #2

Howdy 6Kampers, I ran an 06' F250 with the 5.4L gas up until 2014. I pulled a 2000 Nomad 5er @ 11k lb. and my current 5er 2012 Cardinal @ 14k lb. The 5.4L pulled the Cardinal from west of Houston to New Orleans, La area and got 7.5mpg ... and we weren't poking around. While the old gas engine would pull it, it was all it wanted and I would not have attempted to take into the mountains or hills, etc. So, I bought the 2014 F350 6.7L diesel and it is awesome, no comparison. I had two other diesels back in the 90's with the 7.3L, but when they went to the 6.0L/6.4L I opted to buy the gas engine. That ol' 5.4L gas engine has 270k on it now and has not had any major issues other than 4 of the 8 Coil-Overs, and 3 exhaust manifolds (cracking). I changed the exhaust manifolds to stainless steel headers and put an end to that. My son still drives it now and it's doing just fine, so other than the power difference, I agree with your assessment of saving $10,000 on purchase and $120.00 oil changes ... but, once you pull with one of the 6.7L's you will never go back to gas. When unloaded it is fun to drive because the power is awesome!
CMelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 06:12 PM   #3

Thanks CM... if I had the extra change around I'd be buying a 350 or 450 tomorrow in hopes that once it's paid off the 5th wheel is coming!!! I've driven some diesels and would never ever compare pulling power but 4 me it just made cent$ to go gasser... I have an 07 F150 w 5.4 at 160k and going strong!! Thanks
Old 06-07-2017, 06:40 PM   #4

If your on vacation and having a good time with the family MPG do not matter one bit.
1320Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 08:59 PM   #5

Amen Fastback!!!
Old 06-12-2017, 07:59 PM   #6

Hi 6Kampers. I just finished a pull from Chattanooga TN to Tampa FL with 2015 F250 6.2 gasser. Started at 9.5 but ended up at 8.2 running 60-65. Ran in tow mode maybe 35-45% of the time but watch the tranny temp which never went over 203 degrees towing 6500 lbs. I think the wind played a good role in my mileage. Last time I pulled a port-a-cabin, 8.2 was all she wrote as well. Last guy that pulled my trailer with a Duramax Diesel did a little more than 10 MPG. I can't justify that extra 8-10k just being a weekend warrior.
CamperDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 08:04 PM   #7

!!!!! If I get into longer more frequent towing then I'll convert... but I have zero regrets like you -- Thanks
Old 06-13-2017, 09:00 AM   #8

1st long haul - Performance/Mpgs

There's too much left to chance in these comments.

MPG towing should be a 40% penalty based on historical averages. 1967 or 2017.

But the comparison needs to be made in a consistent manner.
Same roads, same speed. Cruise control.

More than about 40% is cause for investigation.

Trailer axle alignment
Brake drag
Bearing preset.

I wouldn't trust these on a brand new TT.

Same for lash up. Try some humility and "be" one of the 95% who get it wrong in setting up a WDH. Get a helper plus tools and spend part of an afternoon at the scale.

MPG will always be best just under 60-mph. Acceptable to 65. But braking
ability and pickup deficiencies in design cancel out 65+, even solo (use average mph to understand that faster isn't really faster.)

Best tire pressure is set from scale for TV. TT tires are always to sidewall maximum.

TV should have slightly shortened service intervals. Verify, don't assume that all is correct.

It's not the absolute number, but the percentage improvement that matters.

If you'd wanted good MPG you'd have researched and gotten a different rig.

I started from scratch to do just that. The TT had to have an indefinite lifespan, and the TV at least 300k miles over 15-years.

My average is 14-16 with an 18,000-lb rig featuring a 35' TT. About a 35% penalty. A turbodiesel pickup and an all-aluminum aero TT. (Consistent with more than a dozen similar rigs in the south central US).

I've gone thru the above to get it "right".

One can also exert some discipline to reduce the annual solo fuel bill. This can underwrite substantial vacation travel.

Fuel economy is a wear factor. Same as tire and brake life. High = Good. It also means attention to safety. That's about disappeared in this country.

Be a radical. Drive for safety. MPG will fall into place.

(I drive 11-12,000/miles per month. Maybe every other month I see a car or pickup owner operating without fundamental mistakes).
Rednax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:15 AM   #9

Wayyyy more than mpgs for my decision!! And I agree with All the items you listed.

When it came down to the 2 trucks I wanted (both 15') the price difference and maintenance (&potentials) had me near #300k miles based on 10mpg v 15mpg (daily driver).

If I wasn't a teacher with 4 kids... I'd have a diesel & enormous 5th wheel!

** my buddy has a 16' Cummins. 1st oil change and already had some buildup on EgR -- was told to drive it harder!! An issue I didn't want to deal with... in all honesty, my first option was Excursion diesel.... but couldn't find a rust free 7.3 and couldn't afford to fix 6.0s ---

The 6.2 made sense to me then, now and possibly future..... if you know anyone giving away $$ or a new diesel then I'd gladly accept!!
Old 06-15-2017, 09:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednax View Post
There's too much left to chance in these comments.

MPG towing should be a 40% penalty based on historical averages. 1967 or 2017.

But the comparison needs to be made in a consistent manner.
Same roads, same speed. Cruise control.

More than about 40% is cause for investigation.

Trailer axle alignment
Brake drag
Bearing preset.

I wouldn't trust these on a brand new TT.

Same for lash up. Try some humility and "be" one of the 95% who get it wrong in setting up a WDH. Get a helper plus tools and spend part of an afternoon at the scale.

MPG will always be best just under 60-mph. Acceptable to 65. But braking
ability and pickup deficiencies in design cancel out 65+, even solo (use average mph to understand that faster isn't really faster.)

Best tire pressure is set from scale for TV. TT tires are always to sidewall maximum.

TV should have slightly shortened service intervals. Verify, don't assume that all is correct.

It's not the absolute number, but the percentage improvement that matters.

If you'd wanted good MPG you'd have researched and gotten a different rig.

I started from scratch to do just that. The TT had to have an indefinite lifespan, and the TV at least 300k miles over 15-years.

My average is 14-16 with an 18,000-lb rig featuring a 35' TT. About a 35% penalty. A turbodiesel pickup and an all-aluminum aero TT. (Consistent with more than a dozen similar rigs in the south central US).

I've gone thru the above to get it "right".

One can also exert some discipline to reduce the annual solo fuel bill. This can underwrite substantial vacation travel.

Fuel economy is a wear factor. Same as tire and brake life. High = Good. It also means attention to safety. That's about disappeared in this country.

Be a radical. Drive for safety. MPG will fall into place.

(I drive 11-12,000/miles per month. Maybe every other month I see a car or pickup owner operating without fundamental mistakes).
Hi Rednax!
I understand what you're saying and sounds reasonable except the "percentage penalty" does not take into account my rig weight (TV+5er = 22,200lb) vs. someone else's rig weight. Also, my rig weight at 70mph vs someone else's rig weight at 60mph. Therefore , the percentage penalty can be vastly different between rig/driver. Another variable is aerodynamics, which your style TT is very good with, but the 5er's not so much. The 5ers are getting better these days, but will have a very good portion of the 5er up above the TV in air of it's own. I jokingly describe it as the same as pulling the flat side of an 8x13 wall down the road. Just a little food for thought on the subject.
Be Safe Out There!
Old 06-18-2017, 08:26 AM   #11

The percentage change has to do with your own rig versus solo.

Ones absolute number isn't about beating the other guy, but not wasting ones own fuel and shortening vehicle life.

I offered my own as an example of starting from scratch where FE was important. Long life is even more important: 27-years and counting, to date.

By the way, what's your total stopping distance from 70?
Rednax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 01:34 PM   #12

I have the 14 F250 XL with 6.2l and just towed from SF to Alaska a Nash 23D 6500#. , i came out at 8.8 mpg average with the majority of it driving in to the wind.

I had 03 F350 6.0 previously but that got real expensive real fast. This time I could only afford the gas engine.

I think the 6.2l is a great steady tow vehicle for my size trailer with an ATV in the bed of the truck. It handles well and it can really cap out the RPM's without any loss of performance. I miss the diesel for mountains but don't miss my repair bills.
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 04:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednax View Post
The percentage change has to do with your own rig versus solo.

Ones absolute number isn't about beating the other guy, but not wasting ones own fuel and shortening vehicle life.

I offered my own as an example of starting from scratch where FE was important. Long life is even more important: 27-years and counting, to date.

By the way, what's your total stopping distance from 70?
Hi Rednax! Sorry, guess I didn't state it very clear. What I mean is my "penalty percentage" for my truck pulling my trailer could be very different than anyone else's penalty percentage. If I change trailers chances are the percentage will change as well. Many variables come into play like ever changing road conditions, wind, no wind, inclines, declines, traffic, etc., so in my humble opinion the "penalty percentage" would be ever changing, and unless you can repeat the run with the exact conditions with & without the RV then you're probably chasing your tail.
On another subject, I'm not in the habit of measuring my "total stopping distance" at any speed, nor do I know anyone that does. Could be some folks out there that do I suppose. Guess one could go to the old Beeville Naval Air Station and do some testing there.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:39 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Kampers View Post
Just got back from my first trip with new truck - 15' F250 6.2 towing Passport 3350bh (~#7500)

590miles with some idleing from Cincinnati to Prophetstown then to Indiana Dunes, & back home....

Shifting seemed odd at times and was in 4th gear longer than I thought needed sometimes but not bad as I was running 60-70mph most of the time --

Overall, very very happy with the ride -- check back with me in 3 weeks as I go from Cincinnati SOUTH to Fort Boonesborough for 2 nights then too Anchors Down in Tennessee! Let see how she does with the mountains!!!

** used Tow/Haul 85% of trip & will probably continue to do.

***Me wife and 4 kids (two 5yr olds and two 1yr olds) stroller, bikes and wood under vinyl tonneau-
Hello 6Kampers........

You hit all the places we love, Prophetstown, Anchor Down.........If you haven't been, you will love Anchor Down....If you guys go out to eat at all, at Prophetstown there is a catering hall just beyond the narrow bridge (was under construction) as you are driving to the park - they have a Sunday Brunch that is to die for - - leave a couple of hours for this...(not sure this is a good idea with young kids??).....at Anchor Down, ask for directions to the Taste of Dandridge - nothing fancy - just great food at a great price. If you head over to Smokey Mountain Park - - go early......

Another park you might enjoy is Mounds State park at Brookville Lake......not far from Cincinnati.

As far as your shifting, you may consider 5 Star Tune: Custom Dynomometer Chassis Tuning Products and Services - 5 Star Tuning

I am anything but a mechanic but I installed one on my motor home with a Ford f53 chassis, and 6.8 V10. It really changed the shift points for the better - not down shifting at every small knoll. The tunes are specifically designed for your vehicle as you can see on the web site.

Good luck and enjoy your new truck - oh - one last thing.........do you have two sets of twins???? Mercy.........we have 1 set of twins, you and a girl........I can remember to this day bringing them home and all the bottles and formula I made after work......LOL But that was 37 years ago - I am sure things have changed for the better now!!!!

One last thing - keep "your" unapproved wood under the tonneau at Prophetstown.........or they'll grab it!!!

g
Indy Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote