Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2021, 11:55 AM   #1

2" hitch / accessory interference

I have an after-market bumper with a 2" hitch on my RV. I just tried to install a Thule hitch accessory into the hitch. This same accessory fits snugly into my Subaru Outback (different vehicle than my RV) 2" hitch.

It wouldn't fit into my 3rd party bumper hitch on my RV - there is just a little bit of interference and I couldn't force it in.

I noticed some burrs on the inside lip of the receiver and I filed them down. Now with a lot of jiggling and effort I can get the bar about 1/2" into the receiver, maybe I could force it in further but I haven't tried - I'm concerned it might get stuck. When I pull it out, the paint on the bar is scuffed / scraped where the interference is happening.

Any advice? WD-40 and try again? Paint remover on the bar and try again? Take the bar to a machine shop and ask them to grind off 1/16"?

I'm not sure what the most sensible thing to do is here.
MarkSaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2021, 11:58 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
I would flat file the receiver before grinding the stinger.
Old 08-02-2021, 12:13 PM   #3

Yah, that makes sense -fix the problem instead of trying to re-work around it. Thanks, I'll give that some work and see if I can get there.
Old 08-02-2021, 12:17 PM   #4

Do you have any other 2" items to check the receiver? I would probably play around with my 2" ball hookup, my bike rack, and my hitch hauler just to make sure I did not fix one problem and create 2 others.

Reminds me, I lent my hitch hauler out, need to get it back.
Old 08-02-2021, 12:54 PM   #5

I had to chuckle at 'it might get stuck' statement - it would definitely get stuck.

Maybe use a bit of sandpaper to improve the fit.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 01:11 PM   #6

Thanks for the responses.

I resolved it (more or less) with a flat file + 20 minutes of elbow grease and some WD-40. I can now move the bar in and out. It won't take much rust to get it to stick, I think, but at least I can install it now in my driveway.

The fix was much simpler than I had been thinking this morning when I initially couldn't get the bar to fit. Thanks for the nudge, just took some persistence.
Old 08-02-2021, 02:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSaxton View Post
Thanks for the responses.

I resolved it (more or less) with a flat file + 20 minutes of elbow grease and some WD-40. I can now move the bar in and out. It won't take much rust to get it to stick, I think, but at least I can install it now in my driveway.

The fix was much simpler than I had been thinking this morning when I initially couldn't get the bar to fit. Thanks for the nudge, just took some persistence.
Yea, the last bolt on receiver I bought I also had to do some filing to clean out the square.
Cheap stuff.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 07:30 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Look carefully at the inside of the receiver- you may likely have a weld seam that is a bit proud in there.
In the past I have been able to trim out such seams with a sharp cold chisel, it doesn't take much.
BPTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 06:05 PM   #9

I had to run a flat file in mine to remove some small blobs of weld that penetrated through the tubing. After that it was fine.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 06:19 PM   #10

It's the difference between two Chinese inches and two American inches. Sort of like the difference between an Imperial gallon and a US gallon.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch