Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2005, 12:54 PM   #15

Well, if they are saying seemingly high temp readings are normal and they have extended your warranty, why not put their theory to the test?

Run it up a steep, long hill some hot day and see if it overboils or melts down?
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2005, 03:35 PM   #16

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hitchhiker:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I explained to them that if they do not fix it, or buy it back I still will not need the warranty as I will unload it as soon as I can. I also explained GM would also never get another penney from me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dave,

There's a definitive procedure one must follow to effectively get an OEM to buy back a truck due to a defect. I recall reading several threads over in the The Diesel Stop forum regarding buybacks for the 2003 Ford 6.0 liter Powerstrokes. You might want to read some of their experiences on this process and brush up on how to file, the criteria, time restraints, etc.

Also, since GM is taking the stance that nothing is wrong with your engine, it may be in your best interest to get an independent technical diagnosis to document the problem. Otherwise, if you go before an arbitration board, they'll probably just conclude that the truck is fine if you have no technical data to back up your position.

Regarding the threat to never buy GM again, I'd say they really don't care. They sell so many vehicles that the loss of one customer wouldn't hardly make a difference to them.

I'm watching your progress since I'm contemplating purchasing an '06 GMC Sierra or Silverado 3500 soon. My Ford is sold and I have no way to pull my 5er.

Good luck! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have followed BBB procedures to a T. I have the 3 certified letters to GMC Customer Assistance center. I have four trips to the dealer for the same problem.

I have letters from two diesel mechanics, GM that state 233 degree coolant tmeprature with an out side temp of 71 degrees is far from normal.

GM, Ford and Chrysler's not caring is why they all three are loosing so much market share. Toyota has moved to the 2nd largest, Ford is now 3rd.

The cooling system was totally redesigend for 06 on the GMC and Chevy trucks. The Fan and Fan shroud were also redesigned. The trans cooler location was also moved. The air intake is no longer get hot air from under the hood either. My brother gets his 06 LBZ Duramax 360 HP and 6 speed allison this week. He wanted to cancel his order after the troubles I have had but it was to late to cancel. I think he will have a much better truck.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:42 PM   #17

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff_in_The_Dalles:
Well, if they are saying seemingly high temp readings are normal and they have extended your warranty, why not put their theory to the test?

Run it up a steep, long hill some hot day and see if it overboils or melts down? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is my plan. If GM does not fix it or buy it back, I will load it to 23475 gcw and run it up a mountain grade in 95 plus weather. I know it will boil over. Then I'll have them tow it in. I do it three times and strat the buy back over.

The thing that pisses me off is they have looked at nothing but what the computer tells them. They have looked at nothing mechanical. This could be caused by blockage in a coolant line, a bad resivor cap, air in the cooling system and many other things that will not generate a computer signal.

My truck has a bad resivor cap for the cooling system, you can not draw a vacuum thru it. It is colapsing the upper radiator hose. I put a new cap on it today. I will see over the next couple of days if it is still colapsing the radiator hose. Hard to test cooling sytem now though, its in the high 50 durning the day.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:37 PM   #18

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I have had no engine or tranny problems with my 2500 Chevy Duramax. I never see the temp move from where it always runs. Even of very hot days towing our 12000 lbs fiver. I am looking at getting a 2007 GM again. I now have 48,000 miles on this one.
Tom
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 02:03 PM   #19

Well I just got a call from BBB, they stated they were closing my case. I asked why, and the man stated that GMC customer Assistance told them my truck has a GVW of over 10000 pounds and TN lemon law does not arbitrate vehicle that weigh more than 10,000 pounds. I explained to BBB that my truck weighs just under 7500 pounds but has a GVWR of 11,500. Now I have to send in a certificat from a certified scale with the Vin on it.

GM also has sent a PIP to all their dealers about overheating 04.5 and 05 LLY duramax equiped trucks. They know some overheat. They give a list of seven things to check. If that does not fix it they tell the dealer to send all info to engineering. They basically admit some trucks have problems and they do not have a fix.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:33 PM   #20
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
My gosh, you'd think people in such positions who handle these sort of matters would have a basic knowledge and understanding of the difference between something as simple as GVW and GVWR.

Geesh, does the consumer have to be responsible to educate them on this stuff?
Old 11-22-2005, 02:25 PM   #21

I would hook it to the max, find the biggest ,baddest mountain I could find, carry my cell phone with the dealers number and you can bet it would not drive away.
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 03:44 PM   #22

The weight tickit on my turck is 7460 with the bed tool box in it an a full tank of fuel, no driver.

I am now waiting to hear BBB,s response now that I have proof the truck is under 10,000 pounds.

The weight ticket also proves the truck would be over GCWR pulling the 16100 pound trailer the owners manual claimes it can pull. Especialy if I put four adults in the truck, but that is no surprize.

I figure GMC will now come up with another reason my truck can not go to arbitration.

The thing I do not understand is why a friends 05 that was built 21 days before mine and is identical otherwiswe does not overheat pulling 15,000 plus pounds. What's the difference between the two trucks? Non other than build date.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:21 AM   #23
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I am now waiting to hear BBB,s response </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dave,

Heard anything yet?

Richard
Old 12-02-2005, 01:54 PM   #24

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Dave ,
It is just a guess but you it sounds like you got the wrong rear gears in the truck. I think they are suppose to be 373 but if someway they got say 356 this would make it overheat when pulling and no power. I am not a mechanic it just a guess. They only suppose to come with one rear gears.
Tom
Old 12-02-2005, 03:55 PM   #25
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Dave,

We have both an LLY & LB7,both have been great.The LLY IS putting 455 HP & 902 TQ to the ground,I tow a 16000 lb trailer to our RV shows and have never had an overheating problem.I would check your VIN# for you to see if there is any ECM updates if you wanted.Sometimes there is programming changes the fix those problems.Our LLY has 32000 miles & the LB7 has 40000 miles.Hope this helps out.

Mike
Old 12-03-2005, 03:09 PM   #26

I have still not heard any more yet form GMC or BBB about my truck. GMC customer service will not return my calls.

I am positive this truck has the correct 3.73 gears. It is identical to the 01 I traded and both trucks turn the same RPM at 70 mph, both truck have same size and brand tire.

GM knows there is a problem with some of the 04.5 and 05 LLY trucks overheating in high ambient tempeatures and on long grades. They have PIP out on it. They do not have a fix, just a lits of 7 things to try then contact GM enginerring. I got my hands on a copy of it and Sent it to BBB with my weight ticket. GMC customer service still tries to tell me they never heard of one over heating, yet I hav e a copyrighted gm document that acknowledges there is a problem.
Old 12-03-2005, 03:25 PM   #27

yet I hav e a copyrighted gm document that acknowledges there is a problem.

Not sure a copyrighted GM document would stand up in court. I don't like to see people get shafted by the Big Boys, but I would walk softly with these documents. IMO

2007 GMC Duramax/Allison 6 spd SLT Crew
brad03ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 04:54 PM   #28

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
The gears was just my 2 cent worth. The dang things are just too complicated anymore. I do have a friend that got a 2005, 2500 GMC D/A and he has no problem pulling his 33 ft fiver.
Tom