Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2009, 09:39 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by K-Star:
Rick

Consider taking one off the lot. That's how I got mine and they took a bunch off to get it out of there. You may not get all the options you want, and maybe some you don't want, but you will probably get a better deal.

Also, are you a member of a credit union? Mine has a group that will go out and get the best price they can based on volumes they order.
The price is a fixed price right now for credit Union members...and it is a special price...close to "employee pricing"...but not quite...

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2009, 10:56 AM   #16

Texas Boomers Club
Rick

I agree with Ray in that I think you would be very disappointed towing with a gasser after you've experienced towing with a diesel. And yes a gasser will give you the same torque and HP but at higher RPM's; thus lower MPG's. And will you get 135K miles with a gasser towing as much as you do?

Additionally, have you priced out replacing the motor with a rebuilt or crate motor? You will have downtime, but it has to be cheaper than a new truck.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 04:24 PM   #17

Mid Atlantic Campers
My truck is not DOA. I am investigating purchasing a new one: 1) To see if I can save some money on repairs and 2) to try to help our economy a little (and get my part of the stimulus package via a tax credit).

The stock of available trucks is actually pretty limited. I absolutely cannot afford the Chevy or GMC diesel. Ford is even worse.

I sm only considering the gas engine as long as it is paired with the 4:10 rearend.

I still may decide to pur some $$$ into my current truck and run it a few more years. I'll keep you posted.
RKamperRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:57 AM   #18

Mid Atlantic Campers
I think I've decided to reinvest in my current ride. We'll see how it goes.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:05 PM   #19

Texas Boomers Club
Rick

I don't tink you wil be dissapointed. You'll get another 135K out `er.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:33 PM   #20

Mid Atlantic Campers
I hope so. It will be more expensive in the short term, but hopefully cheaper over the next few years.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:39 AM   #21

Mid Atlantic Campers
The truck goes in for annual inspection and initial health assessment tomorrow.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:35 PM   #22

Mid Atlantic Campers
The injectors were checked today and test out OK. My garage man thinks it needs a new thermostat. It never gets up to temperature correctly, so he believes the computer is making it run lean, causing the white smoke. I'm having him service the cooling system on Friday.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:49 AM   #23

Texas Boomers Club
I hope that's all it turns out to be.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:17 AM   #24

I"m with TX....once you try a diesel, there's just no going back. We had a Silverado 1/2 ton, and now have a 3/4 ton GMC diesel. Loved the Silverado, but the diesel is a dream. Well worth the extra $ for the comfort of knowing that you have all that power. And, as others have said in the past, people have often complained about not having enough power, but nobody has ever had a problem with too much. (We have the duramax-allison.)
AuntSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:05 AM   #25

Excel Owners Club
I have had both gas and Duramax with Allison. A 3/4 ton is to small for you size trailer.. Diesel dually with duramax and allison transmission will prevent logging as you will find on gas engines. MPG is also a factor - I got 7 on gas and 10-11 with diesel pulling 13000 lbs.

Bill C
Travelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:53 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKamperRV View Post
My dilemma is that I either buy the new gas truck or I spend a significant amount to repair aging parts on my current truck. The front end has something failing and I suspect it's a combo of ball joints and bearings.

The Duramax smokes significantly at idle - I suspect injectors.

I suspect I'll finally need to replace the brakes for the first time.

Now, none of these, viewed separately is insurmountable. But in combo I believe I'll need to put more than $3,000 in an aging truck that has 135,000 miles on it.

The new DMax/Allison trucks are too expensive. Fords are even worse. Given the current state of Chrysler, I won't consider Dodge.

Thanks for your input. I'll consider all of this before I decide what to do.
HUMMMMM, $3500 dollars in a known entity with only 135K miles on it to get another 100,000 miles or 30K for a new truck that you will not be very satisfied with? What decision? Spend the 3500 and get your D'max back in top running condition. Injectors might be covered under warrenty, brakes might need to be done? But unless you ccheck them out who knows? Front end problems are likely the intermediate shaft between the steering wheel and steering box. Known common problem and easily fixed.
As far as not buying Dodge, your reasoning makes no sense. Chrysler actually has more cash on hand that GM. That is one of the reasons the General has been trying to aquire them. with incentives and discounts a new Dodge 6.7L cummins with all the bells and whistles can be easily had for 12-15K off sticker. Your choice if you want to go in debt for a short time to repair or for a long time to buy new.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:52 PM   #27

Excel Owners Club
I would avoid the gasser. Diesel spoiled me. We pull a 35' Excel limited and I would guess we are 15000 pounds fully loaded. Use an 05, Chevy Silerado, dually with allison. Only way to go. Mileage is better and you do not have the torque required with a gasser for a comfortable, safe ride over the mountains in WV or anywhere else for that matter. Look for low mileage used. It pays to shop.

Bill C
Travelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 08:15 PM   #28

Mid Atlantic Campers
I am fixing my truck - couldn't give up the diesel.

Front end is repaired - left wheel bearing was shot.

Thermostats have been replaced. Power is better and fuel mileage increased 3-5 mpg. Back to where it should be.

Brakes are still very good - not even close to being replaced.

Still smokes, but not as bad as it was. I'll keep chipping away at it until it is almost like new.