Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2019, 01:02 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
2012 Ford F-450 CAC (charge air cooler) failure

For RV'ers with an earlier models Ford trucks (2011 - 2016 model) with the 6.7L diesel engine, there is a "Customer Satisfaction Program - 18M03" for the CAC (charge air cooler) outlet tube that is on the high pressure side of the turbocharger. The program extends the warranty for that part to a total of 10 years from the date of original purchase of the truck. However, the part has to fail before it is covered.

The CAC outlet tube is a plastic-like fitting that could become brittle and fail. That is what happened to my truck. Around 6:30 PM, on my way from storage to park the trailer at a local RV park, there was a loud bank under the hood followed by a loud exhaust sound under the hood, the turbocharger gauge dropping to nothing, and the engine losing power. The truck could not be moved because the engine had trouble idling much less pulling a load. I ended up stuck on the side of the road on I-20 in Fort Worth, at a very dangerous spot known for people running over each other.

As for the repair, in my case, it took the Ford truck shop an hour to do the paperwork and pull the part from stock, and 15 minutes to remove and replace the part. Didn't cost me a thing.

However, it was not fun spending 6 hours on the side of the road plus another hour getting the trailer back to storage and the wrecker service to haul my F-450 and a 5th wheel trailer was pricey. Because the truck and trailer were being delivered to two separate locations, the tow required two wreckers, a heavy tow truck for the trailer and a flatbed for the truck. Also, the F-450 had to be towed the next day to the dealership. The total cost was well over $1,000.00.

It may be worth those with a similar vehicle to look into whether your truck is also under the "Customer Satisfaction Program - 18M03". If so, looking into replacing the part proactively, either by a dealership/repair shop or by yourself, could save a lot of money the long run. The CAC looks like a simple repair and handyman could do it. Had I known this, I would have replaced it myself.

I noticed the part online and some upgrade kits as well, but didn't further research or look at the prices. A little too late for that.
CARLnJANIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2019, 01:43 PM   #2

My previous truck was a 2012 F-450. For me it was a great truck but all the complexity of the emission system and engine had me nervous. I traded it after I sold the 5th wheel on a gas powered F-250. I am now breathing a lot easier now.
I had the F-450 for 6.5 years but only 40,000 miles. It was used mostly to tow the 5th wheel.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 02:56 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
My previous truck was a 2012 F-450. For me it was a great truck but all the complexity of the emission system and engine had me nervous. I traded it after I sold the 5th wheel on a gas powered F-250. I am now breathing a lot easier now.
I had the F-450 for 6.5 years but only 40,000 miles. It was used mostly to tow the 5th wheel.
My wife and I didn't get to travel as much as we wanted because shortly after we bought our truck and trailer, she was offered a promotion where she worked which made it more difficult to travel. We also had a Boston Terrier that was 17 when she passed a year ago. We have not traveled the last two years because our dog was too old to travel. The DW retired the end of last year and every time we make plans to take a trip, things have gone awry. Still happening. Trying to take a trip for the last month and situations keep happening. Same for this month. I think I upset the travel gods.

I have had the F-450 for just over 7 years and have 21,600 miles on it. Hoping it lasts until we can no longer travel. It is really a special truck.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized truck2.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	265228
CARLnJANIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 06:24 PM   #4

Very nice with a hauler bed. Mine had a pick-up bed. I did carry stone and firewood a few times in mine but really like the look of the trucks with the hauler bed.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 09:13 PM   #5

That plastic glued together pos charge air tube (cold side) needs to be upgraded on any 6.7 powerstroke in my opinion especially trucks that tow and see long periods of high boost.i really like the H&S motor sports kits.ive run them on my 12,16 and now my 2018 6.7.they offer kits for trucks that no longer have emissions and bone stock trucks.
Pwstrkdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 09:37 PM   #6

Blew the CAC on my 6.0 too. But they keep using the plastic ones....there were lots of aftermarket metal kits available. Problem with those is the boots would split (had that happen twice too). I had three visits to the dealer due to high pressure side leaks. It never ends.
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, ford