Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2015, 11:21 PM   #29

Thanks Smokey for the quick class in WDH. I want to make sure I get one I can back up with without unhooking or sooner, rather then later, I will do some damage.
Parrott_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2015, 11:51 PM   #30

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Off topic, but I remember a story about a city guy that asked a weather worn old rancher if the strong wind was "always like this?" The rancher just shakes his head slowly, gestures over his shoulder and says "Nah, sometimes it comes from that--a-way."
Old 12-20-2015, 07:55 AM   #31

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrott_head View Post
You're a hoot!

I have found some models upwards of 30 ft LOA that meet the weight limits I am considering.

Is there an inherent stability problem towing something that long behind a half tonner? Of course this would be using a WDH.

I may have to start a new topic to explore that.
We found a nice TT, a Keystone Outback 22 TRB. Nice layout, well within the tow limits of our 2013 F150 XLT 4X4 Ecoboost. But after a few trips, just here in the South, my husband said it was hard for him to handle just the crosswinds from trucks. We either needed a bigger camper (which meant a bigger truck) or a different setup.

We moved over to a nice used 2001 Dutch Star DP 3852 which is heavy enough not to be blown off the road by the 18 wheelers. Yes, we still get pushed but nothing like the white knuckle he was dealing with in his F150.

I can NOT imagine how that setup (truck and trailer) would have handled the trip we took in a pop up two summers ago out west...Nebraska has some evil wind speeds!!!
Old 12-20-2015, 08:07 AM   #32

southernlady, You defiantly didn't have the truck and TT setup right. Absolutely no way should you have experienced sway.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 08:37 AM   #33

Carolina Campers
Quote:
You're a hoot!

I have found some models upwards of 30 ft LOA that meet the weight limits I am considering.

Is there an inherent stability problem towing something that long behind a half tonner? Of course this would be using a WDH.

I may have to start a new topic to explore that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
southernlady, You defiantly didn't have the truck and TT setup right. Absolutely no way should you have experienced sway.
We had a sway bar attached and yes we did, even as a passenger, I felt it.

You can UNDERLOAD a tow vehicle as well as overload it. There is a magic number window for the best towing.
Old 12-20-2015, 02:12 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Thanks Smokey for the quick class in WDH. I want to make sure I get one I can back up with without unhooking ...
"My other hitch is a" Reese Strait-line trunnion bar. I've had it for years and towed dozens of thousands of miles with it. It's good for 99.9 percent of the conditions you might encounter when towing that can result in uncontrollable sway.

I found a used ProPride at a price I couldn't refuse, so I bought it in case of that other one tenth of one percent of towing conditions. It's great, but for my 20' travel trailer and the conditions I've towed in for the last 10,000 or so miles, it's not noticeable as being any better than the Strait-Line. I leave it mounted on my TT, because it requires hours to change it to another trailer. So I still use the Strait-Line on my 7,000-pound cargo trailer.

For you with that extra-long trailer, the ProPride would probably do what you want it to do. It moves the pivot point of the hitch from behind the rear bumper to under the rear axle of the tow vehicle. So it tows as good as a fifth wheel or gooseneck hitch. And for that huge sail you'll be towing, you probably need that extra-cost hitch system. So try to find a used ProPride 3P, or if not then consider spending the big bucks for the ProPride 3P. It's expensive, but less expensive that trading up to a heavier tow vehicle.

If you decide on the good hitch without the extra expense of the ProPride, then here's the one I would order. Ignore the gross trailer weight rating and go by the max tongue weight rating. With a 10,000 pound trailer, you need a max of 1,500 pounds tongue weight rating.

Strait-Line Weight Distribution w Sway Control - Trunnion Bar - 1,500 lbs TW - RP66130

Note that one does not include the adjustable shank or the ball. After you add those, the total will be over $600 and the list price will be over $1,000.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow